Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.3%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 248 47.5%

• Total voters
This is good news perhaps vw's attitude to older cali's is softening?

yanathem said:
What a dilemma, do I kick off with customer services and blow it for those two people or are vw now doing what they should have done in the first place and repair all vans regardless of age :?:

Both of these ones appear very recent, possbly within the 7 days. It could be worth calling VWCS to see what they say?

Mine's 2009 so ONLY 5 years old Martin.
I've only spoken to them on the phone so far so nothing will happen until the end of the month when it goes in for them to look at.

Of course, 09, maths was never my strong point! In that case we have just two +6 years that have been approved.

Of those that have been accepted do you have full VW service history?

Likewise if you've been rejected do you have a full VW service history?

My Experience with Roof Corrosion on our 2012 Cali.
I noticed 3 areas of paint blisters earlier this year when I checked following the comments on the Forum to be on the lookout. I am now assured by VW Customer Care that I am logged in the system and am awaiting a date for collection of my vehicle. Initially I found the reaction from my local dealer ( Manchester Van Centre) a little slow as they seemed unsure about the process. After a couple of tries, they took the required photos and submitted these to VW & I was reassured that it would be dealt with.
So apart from this initial slowness, my biggest issue at present is lack of any formal communication on the progress. I only had a verbal reassurance from my dealer that I was logged in the system and it wasn't until I finally spoke to VW CS direct that I had confirmation that this was in fact the case. VW had the info on my vehicle in their system but told me that they did not have my contact details but when I provided these, they undertook to copy me in on any future communications and provide monthly updates. A couple of months later, I still have not heard anything, so I still only have verbal assurances that my case is being dealt with and no indication at all of where I am in the queue.
So it sounds as if VW are getting there act together on rectifying the problem but from my experience, a little more proactivity on keeping me informed would reduce my anxiety and help me plan for when the vehicle will be repaired.

Thanks for all the Forum info on this issue and getting VW to deal with the problem.

Mike Watkins

As you may know, we have now secured a goodwill gesture from VW to cover the entire aluminium roof for vehicles up to six years old. In return, could I ask that affected owners give VW Customer Care a break from what has often been constant harassment. I am not disputing that on this issue they previously needed to be harassed, but if you have not heard that your claim has been accepted, it will be covered if your vehicle is less than six years old – get onto the dealer because it appears it is often the dealer who is under performing. Make sure your dealer has submitted all your contact details to VWCS. SMG Cowfold seem to be able to obtain confirmation pretty quickly, so other dealers should be also be able to do so.

With regard to when your vehicle will be repaired, there are reports of a parts supply problem, which could be true – I don’t know. Let’s give VW a bit of slack for a time, because I am sure this has turned out to be a monster problem for them.

You also have a transferable guarantee of repair – so let’s relax on this issue.

Having heard nothing I just had it confirmed by Listers that 'tis on system and approved within a day of submission and all info passed by them direct onto Shorade who now have it in the queue.
So yes its down to proactive dealerships who know what's what. Luckily mine is only 25 mins from me!

Chaps,
I've already submitted a reply to the "blistering paintwork on front roof panel" discussions and after discussing the situation with Susibus at the COTF 2014 Meeting in July, I checked the seal on my roof and saw what I think might constitute the first signs of blistering/ corrosion ...please see the 2 pictures and give me your opinion if this is indeed signs of blistering/ corrosion.
Thanks

Your pictures of the corrosion are as bad as my Cali has suffered. Mine is booked in for repair without any arguments by VW.

Gentlemen
Thanks for the quick response....appreciated.....will call SMG Cowfold AGAIN !!! for an update
My original claim for the front roof panel problem, was made way back in July 2013 and fix approved by VW, but this fix was rescheduled as a "new fix" had been approved.
As we all know, this is still "progressing".
I'll add the roof to the list now.
Thanks again.

It has been more than 1yr since my front roof panel was replaced and the elevating roof painted and repaired (a result of gust of wind filling the bellows when being lowered even though followed instructions to the letter with the sliding door wide open - Kink appeared in roof) and new bellows fitted. It took a few discussions but VW Cust Servs did come through in the end re: the corrosion issue. That said, the estimated 2 weeks turned into more than 6 - no parts and little knowledge by my local supplier!

If mine was a unique experience then I suppose I would take the view that it was just my bad luck and, typical, I had to buy the only vehicle with that fault. However, VW seem to recognise this corrosion to be 'a common fault in the California, come on VW, surely you should be making a general recall, you could include a visual check as part of a service. I can't help but think that if something similar were to happen in e.g. a Golf they would be forced, due to the numbers and publicity, to make full recall.

I have checked my roof and cannot see any signs of corrosion appearing/reappearing, as yet (note my lack of confidence). Throughout the threads, including those replies from VW, if I am right, they refer to the issue as corrosion, should this not be covered by the 12 year warrantee and not a paint failure?

Finally, I am concerned that one of the threads states: "At present only Californias with blistering paintwork will be repaired. Any that have had this problem repaired in the past will not be redone." I assume by this they mean that they do not want to go looking for corrosion. It seems that due to a design flaw corrosion is inevitable on those vehicles pre 2014 even if the have been repaired.

Dave

Dave, to initiate a recall it has to be a safety item.

That doesn't mean VW couldn't contact owners though ;)

northumberland said:
Finally, I am concerned that one of the threads states: "At present only Californias with blistering paintwork will be repaired. Any that have had this problem repaired in the past will not be redone."
Dave

Not exactly the case. At the moment VW are repairing vehicles that exhibit the fault, if you've had the roof painted and it is currently free of corrosion you will have to wait until some develops.

northumberland said:
I have checked my roof and cannot see any signs of corrosion appearing/reappearing, as yet (note my lack of confidence). Throughout the threads, including those replies from VW, if I am right, they refer to the issue as corrosion, should this not be covered by the 12 year warrantee and not a paint failure?

There are several mentions in this thread that the 12 year bodywork warranty is not applicable in this case, in fact i struggle to see how it ever could be applicable as it will only cover for perforation emanating from the inside out.

I have had an email on the 7th from the Admin Team asking for feedback on the roof corrosion - I gave this on the forum with photos on 18 June and also filled in the poll.

Anyway, I can now update as follows: I sent the photos to Paul Golding at Manchester Van Centre on the 24th June - which was 6 Years and three weeks after we took delivery of the new van. Shortly afterwards I got the following forwarded email by way of reply :-

Hi Peter, sorry but claim has been rejected.

From: Alan Hulston [mailto:alanhulston@smithknightfay.co.uk]
Sent: 18 July 2014 14:52
To: 'Paul Golding'
Subject: RE: California MT08 YDA

Sorry Paul,
Authorisation for repair to this roof has been denied as per reasons below..

Alan..

Hi, Your Paint Approval Request has been refused. Only through-corrosion originating from within is covered by warranty after 3 years as per the limits detailed in the Compete Warranty Guide. The defect in the attached image has been caused by a paint defect or external damage to the paintwork. Please close this DISS report following the details shown in the Guide to DISS paint authorities available on WIN. Regards Warranty.

Clearly the defect must have been present during the six year period which I now understand has been accepted by VW - Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Peter Woods

Just had cali back from a service with derby van centre, didn't take photos of front panel roof corrosion, as VWCS says van is out of 6 year period.
What do i do now? watchdog, small claims court, harass VW on Facebook, write to the ceo in germany,

John

Sorry to hear this Peter, we are keeping a list of everyone that has had a claim rejected but we only have three on the list so far, four with yourself.

We are still awaiting responses from VW on this and we will update as soon as we hear back.

Roof Corrosion - Has your claim been rejected?

We are currently creating a list for anyone who has had their claim rejected for roof corrosion on either the front panel, main roof or both.

pete&gill said:
I have had an email on the 7th from the Admin Team asking for feedback on the roof corrosion - I gave this on the forum with photos on 18 June and also filled in the poll.

Anyway, I can now update as follows: I sent the photos to Paul Golding at Manchester Van Centre on the 24th June - which was 6 Years and three weeks after we took delivery of the new van. Shortly afterwards I got the following forwarded email by way of reply :-

Hi Peter, sorry but claim has been rejected.

From: Alan Hulston [mailto:alanhulston@smithknightfay.co.uk]
Sent: 18 July 2014 14:52
To: 'Paul Golding'
Subject: RE: California MT08 YDA

Sorry Paul,
Authorisation for repair to this roof has been denied as per reasons below..

Alan..

Hi, Your Paint Approval Request has been refused. Only through-corrosion originating from within is covered by warranty after 3 years as per the limits detailed in the Compete Warranty Guide. The defect in the attached image has been caused by a paint defect or external damage to the paintwork. Please close this DISS report following the details shown in the Guide to DISS paint authorities available on WIN. Regards Warranty.

Clearly the defect must have been present during the six year period which I now understand has been accepted by VW - Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Peter Woods

I would refer this back to VW CS as you are clearly very close to the 6 year cut off, also I think this is a case of misunderstanding at the warranty claim level.

I feel the same since VW rejected my claim as well on my 56 plate Cali don't really know what to do next, for any 6+ Cali owner it's got to be a serious worry.