Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.4%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.4%

• Total voters
mike samson said:
Hi, I have completed the paperwork on line and have not heard anything since. How can I check if my post has been received, mike

I don't know if VW have anything official online Mike, what you may have completed is the forum survey. If you have not reported any corrosion directly to your dealer you should do so ASAP.

I felt a need to contact VW Customer Services to confirm my van had been accepted for warranty repair.

The short answer was yes it has been accepted for repair at the approved repair facility in Cannock.

However what came to light from my discussion was that the only repair they will undertake is for the reported corrosion.
It will not include a full inspection of known risk areas.
Each area needs to be reported and accepted by the VW warranty team before any work is carried out.

I have a problem with this approach.

Secondly I was told as a goodwill gesture the warranty will be extended for a further 3 years for this particular roof corrosion problem as it is a paint issue that is reacting with the aluminium.

I have problem with this approach also.

To avoid multiple visits to the approved repair centre in Cannock I have the van booked into Preston Van Centre next week.
I've asked for a full corrosion inspection to be included on the service card.
Any strip down and cleaning to be conducted by an approved person using qualified equipment, materials and methods who is fully aware of the corrosion risk areas.

My background is aircraft manufacture and repair.
In my experience the aluminium alloy material selection by design is the first step to corrosion prevention. the first layer of the corrosion protection scheme is the next vital decision in the design phase of the product lifecycle, anodising with layers of primer and top coat paint that have both been mixed correctly to the required ratios achieving a finish to the defined requirements add to the protection scheme.
Aircraft aluminium alloy has a pure aluminium coating (cladding) approximately 5 percent of the material thickness either side of the sheet material (standard wire gauge - swg) to help protect against corrosion.
Use of undamaged material having been stored appropriately, cleanliness, degreasing and application of paint layers to engineered micron thickness is important otherwise refresh primer is required to re-activate the keying properties of the primer.
All of these layers need to be controlled for thickness and cure time with application time between layers, temperature and humidity being key process parameters. Paint adhesion testing and paint hardness testing form part of paint acceptance testing.

Maintenance of the corrosion protection scheme is necessary to avoid penetration of the scheme causing corrosion issues in-service. This is why it is included in the manufacturers warranty and servicing schedule to carry out paintwork damage and repair in a timely manner. The corrosion evident is not down to penetration it is the material itself corroding beneath the paint layers.

There are several forms of corrosion that may affect aluminium alloy, inter granular where it tracks along the grain of the material, dissimilar metals causing a battery effect cathode / anode when an electrolyte (liquid) is introduced exfoliation (surface) etc etc

Corrosion is an effect caused by a failure somewhere in the end to end process material specification used and it's condition, methods employed in a suitably approved environment by trained and qualified persons using approved tooling.
Paint does not corrode but it can contribute to causing aluminium to corrode so clearly this is a claim against the corrosion warranty (12 years) and not the paint against the factory warranty (3 years). Goodwill???

I have a 2014 california so no roof issues to report so far, hopefully the fix will prevent that happening.

In response to the email request I have =just checked the roof on my May 2013 registerred California. the pop up roof has been repainted under warranty due to a separate warranty matter so shows no signs of blistering but I guess would not yet. In respect of the front panel I can see one instance of what may be the earliest signs of a de-bonding,blistering between the paint and the metal. I will report it to the dealer.
Jonnie

sbmcd said:
I have a 2014 california so no roof issues to report so far, hopefully the fix will prevent that happening.

I am sorry to say we now have twenty plus 2014 plates with corrosion on the main roof, you need to check under the rubber seal of the main elevating roof.

We are receiving so many emails from people with 2013/2014 plate California's thinking they do not need to check their roofs, you really do need to check !

Just a recap:

- If your van was built after October 2013 your front panel 'should' be OK but please check anyway.

- All vans have the possibilty of corrosion on the main roof under the rubber seal, be it a 2007 or 2014 plate.

I have just checked my 12 registered California and yes it's has the dreaded corrosion on the front panel across its edge and at both sides. After reading the threads I will be conducting a more thorough inspection this weekend so that when I take it to the dealers they can account for all the suspect areas. It beggars belief that VW have known about this for so long and have still been selling them ? I bought VW in the belief that I was buying a product that would have been sorted over the years as their glossy sales literature and sales people inform you. How wrong can you be. It really takes the shine ( literally ) from what should be one of their flagship vehicles.

Martin said:
sbmcd said:

I am sorry to say we now have twenty plus 2014 plates with corrosion on the main roof, you need to check under the rubber seal of the main elevating roof.

We are receiving so many emails from people with 2013/2014 plate California's thinking they do not need to check their roofs, you really do need to check !

Just a recap:

- If your van was built after October 2013 your front panel 'should' be OK but please check anyway.

- All vans have the possibilty of corrosion on the main roof under the rubber seal, be it a 2007 or 2014 plate.

Martin - re front panel mod - you suggest October 2013 for the front panel - is that official and believable? There have been several dates mentioned for this and with a Sep 2013 build it is certainly relevant to me. Mine looks ok and I have the additional gasket but would be helpful if I knew whether it was modified or not. Thanks.

Until there is any official confirmation from VW it's going to be difficult to say.

We understand (think) that an obvious indication is this gasket that people speak of however there is also a new front cast aluminium section now being used for the repair so without being able to visibly check the part number of the actual part fitted to your van (and that's not going to be easy) then we are in the hands of supposition and assumption at this time.

My van has now been repaired using the new method and new part however it is still at SMG so I've not been able to see if it has the fabled gasket.

It is possible that the gasket is a halfway measure implemented before the revised front section - Again at this time we do not know.

Stu said:
Until there is any official confirmation from VW it's going to be difficult to say.

We understand (think) that an obvious indication is this gasket that people speak of however there is also a new front cast aluminium section now being used for the repair so without being able to visibly check the part number of the actual part fitted to your van (and that's not going to be easy) then we are in the hands of supposition and assumption at this time.

My van has now been repaired using the new method and new part however it is still at SMG so I've not been able to see if it has the fabled gasket.

It is possible that the gasket is a halfway measure implemented before the revised front section - Again at this time we do not know.

Yep, thanks Stu - fair comment.
Oh for a bit of transparency from VW... maybe one day if we keep pushing.

I have just checked a source that tells me the new part (7E7 875 107 C ODL) was introduced 15 07 2013.

There is still no way to confirm if that is the part fitted to your van unless you knew where the part number would be stamped on the part and that you removed some trim to be able to see it.

VW Customer Service were very helpful - they referred me back to the dealership to submit the claim as expected. The dealership Citygate Colindale were less than efficient and gave me the 'run around' in terms of what I needed to do. Initially, after inviting me to their service centre in Colindale, they decided they couldn't submit the claim and after talking with VW Customer Svc in my presence, directed me to the Citygate bodyshop some 15 miles away in Chalfont, Bucks. Fortunately I checked with them first and they gave me the VW bulletin directive on this issue which Colindale needed to read to process the claim (the bodyshop could not submit the claim). After calling Colindale to give them the chapter and verse they agreed I could simply send the attached photos which they would use in conjunction with the directve (I let them know I could not properly examine the roof itself).

That was mid-July and so far no news or progress report on what they've done with this - despite e-mail and phone calls (largely due to summer vacations no doubt) and dealing with someone who is supposed to be the Service Team manager. I'm going away now and so will give them another 2 weeks before chasing again.

As requested I checked my Cali again today and have found no roof corrosion.
I will continue to do so and keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't occur.

2007 blue Cali with front roof panel blistering

Have had my claim refused and have had a phone call with customer care. They listened, were sympathetic but ultimately powerless to do anything about the claim. I outlined the 5 significant faults that I have had with this camper, which has included a complete roof off and new hydraulic system. They supplied an email address for an appeal to be lodged but I am far from optimistic about this process but will post the reply when/if it comes.
The rational for the choice of 6 year warranty was vague and continually relied on the concept of goodwill and seems to be arbitrary at best. Think of a number and keep to it at all costs!

I have just had my 10year old Ford recalled for an engine modification. They contacted me and alerted me to the fault, supplied a courtesy car, and completed the adjustment without fuss or difficulty. I am about to replace the Ford and it won't be with a VW.
IMG_3945.JPG
IMG_3937.JPG

Thanks to all the forum contributors, the posts have been really helpful

Sorry to hear of your problems Barrie.

Martin will add you to the list of 'refused' owners that we are keeping.

Would you mind sharing the details you were given for the appeal with us please, By PM is fine and then we will discuss in the staff area if a united approach would be better.

The email I was given was in response to a clear and firm request by me.
I think it is probably a fob off as any change of tack from them now could set a precedent for others.
The email address is customer care@vwcv.co.uk
I was told it was a one in ten chance of being successful, which I think was a bit optimistic.
I am to include all details of the damage to the front area and I am going to catalogue the string of repairs I have had to do to the camper part of the van.

A co-ordinated approach is likely to be more effective and of course if successful would help people with earlier vans and those with vans that at present don't have a problem but which will pass out of the 6 year cover.

shambly said:
I was told by VW that they, as of today, have decided to extend the main roof warranty to 6 years in line with the extension on the front roof warranty. :goodone

I'm sure Martin / Susibus will be along shortly with some official word on this matter from VW.

I also got told that the main roof is now covered for 6 years - well done to all that have lobbied VW and well done to VW for responding positively. Hopefully we'll get something in writing soon.

I'm concerned (like most) that the high number of main roof corrosion incidents suggests a design flaw. For my own situation with a newish van, I'm happy that this gives longer term cover until hopefully this is acknowledged by VW and a permanent fix is found and applied. For those outside the 3 years it will be a massive relief I guess.

Stu said:
I have just checked a source that tells me the new part (7E7 875 107 C ODL) was introduced 15 07 2013.

There is still no way to confirm if that is the part fitted to your van unless you knew where the part number would be stamped on the part and that you removed some trim to be able to see it.

Good one Stu - thanks for this.
That does tie in with the VW statement about second half of 2013 for modified front panels but as you say we cant really be sure. I am quite sure VW would know which VIN numbers had this were they minded to publish information on these matters but that doesn't seem to be their way!
Who knows where the part number is - I have no intention of taking the thing apart - if it rots VW fix it. Might have a brief look tho....
Would be good to have a definitive way of identifying vehicles that are likely to have corroding front panels if possible.

And that's good news leaking out re 6 years for the main roof panel - a small and worthwhile victory for the efforts of forum members.
I will feel happier when I see it in writing tho!

My Cali is a march 2012 and has the corrosion on the front panel and on the roof under the seal. My claim has been approved and I am waiting for a phone call from the body shop to get it booked in :crazy

Stu said:
Sorry to hear of your problems Barrie.

Martin will add you to the list of 'refused' owners that we are keeping.

Would you mind sharing the details you were given for the appeal with us please, By PM is fine and then we will discuss in the staff area if a united approach would be better.

Already added :thumb We only have three people on the list so far that have had a claim rejected, anyone else?

All we need for now is your email address and name please, send to admin@vwcaliforniaclub.com

Hello and like all much indebited to the work the group has done on the roof issue. Yes i have had mine rejected and am making an appeal.. More details below...
My california is 2/6/2006 and i have had if from new. I submitted a warranty claim through the Vindis group in St Ives and it was rust at the head of the roof and sides.
Today (8 Aug 2014) i was told since my camper was over 6 years old that they have rejected the claim.
I am upset.
I have asked that it go to appeal having established that my chassis nos is within the range that others have reported. I will update when i have any further information. I asked whether France and Germany were addressing this issue and was told they could only answer for the UK. I thought this was an international corporation with equality for its customers.

PS. I had blistering paint on my sliding door (mine is a lhd) and this was fixed under warranty in 2010. This has re-blistered and i am again submitting a warranty claim for this.

Hi, my Cali is a 2011 model. The blistering occurred during 2012 and was fixed at the local VW body shop in Aberdeen. I noticed secondary blistering during 2013 and went back to the local VW body shop. On that occasion they were no help, so I picked up the cause direct with VWCV. It's sad to hear folk have had bad experience with VWCV, I've found them to be nothing but helpful.

My Cali is currently at Benfield being repaired and they too have been super helpful. In the last hour, I have been emailed by Benfield to say they have found corrosion on the main roof and are now waiting for approval to either repair or replace the roof. They are apologetic my Cali hasn't been returned already, but the lone Cali is fine with me for as long as it takes.

Big thanks to the work of this group, as it's always good to know we have an organised voice :goodone

Van taken into Breeze, Totton about 6 weeks ago with roof and lifting roof corrosion. Very efficient. Repair approved within 2 days. Now waiting for VW to send essential parts to Heritage van center.
Lucy

WARRANY FOR ENTIRE ALUMINIUM ROOF SECTION EXTENDED TO SIX YEARS

The timing of the article in VW Bus magazine may be a little unfortunate because today we have received a letter from VW which will be good news for all owners of Californias up to SIX YEARS OLD.

The salient points in VW’s letter are, and I quote:

..............“As you are aware, all repairs relating to the front panel section of the California roof are covered by our paint warranty policy, not body protection warranty. While we recognise issues relating to roof corrosion, it is not as a result of through-corrosion of the aluminium panel. As such, repairs are covered by the three year paint warranty policy. In an effort to offer our customers peace of mind, we took the decision to offer an additional 3 years goodwill, extending the terms of the protection from three years to six.

Following your most recent correspondence, we have again conducted a thorough review of the goodwill terms with our colleagues at Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles HQ in Hannover. As a result, I can now confirm that Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles will extend the terms of the goodwill to cover the entire roof panel. Any cases of roof corrosion to the main roof panel will now also be covered under our good will policy for up to six years.

This enhanced support is linked to the individual Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and is therefore transferable upon sale of the vehicle.

We will be notifying our Van Centres of this additional enhancement. I would ask that you encourage any of your members who may be affected by this issue to visit their nearest Van Centre so that their vehicle may be assessed ............”

We had requested that VW “offer a twelve year bodywork warranty, transferable on sale, with the word “perforation” deleted in relation to the aluminium sections of the vehicle”, but VW replied:

“This has been reviewed however we are currently unable to do so”

There you have it straight from VW Head Office – if your vehicle is under six years old and you have roof corrosion, it will be repaired under warranty. Therefore, it is up to you to check your vehicle particularly under the rubber seal, and if you do have corrosion then contact your nearest van dealer.

I am not sure if this new warranty extension will be applied to countries outside the UK as VW appear to operate as separate entities in each country. Warranties terms differ even within the EU.

SUSIBUS

Back