Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 196 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 250 47.5%

• Total voters
My 2010 Cali had the front roof panel repaired by the local Coventry VW repair shop 18 months ago - all successful. But the roof now needs doing too. my local dealer has got the OK from VW but says it can be done locally and is putting it through the local paint shop again (with no wait) and I'm worried that this might not be the proper job that forum users are describing. Should I be insisting on it going to one of the 4 named repair centres?
Worried......

The 4 appointed Body Shops are tasked with removing, replacing and re-spraying the aluminium roof panel above the windscreen ONLY.
At the moment any bubbling on the elevating roof section is being treated by rubbing down, thick zinc primer and then re-spray. This can be done by any competent and approved body shop.
The problem you have is that the front roof panel was not replaced but just resprayed.
I would check the length of warranty on the resprayed panel and keep an eye on it, or you could just use the vehicle for it's intended purpose and if the corrosion comes back and it is out of warranty get the body shop to rub down, prime and respray and do this whenever necessary while enjoying you're travels.

owen_h said:
robo said:
Sorry to hear that Owen. What snags did they leave behind?
rob

The roof is not closing completely at the rear nearside corner leaving a gap between the rubber seal and bodywork. The missing bolts are from the scissor hinge, there should be 4 per side to attach the hinge to the roof but on one side there are 2 and on the other side 3. :x
The bolts I could fit myself in 10 mins (assuming the thread is not stripped) given the parts & torque settings but I've no idea how to adjust he roof fit.
I won't name and shame quite yet as due a call from VWCS tomorrow which will hopefully involve how they are going to get it all sorted. Will make the point that this sort of thing needs to be checked and signed off before returning the vehicles. The body shop needs to have the opportunity to rectify first.

Was your main roof repaired at the same time as the front panel?

Yes main roof & front panel were both done at the same time. Even if its just the front panel that needs work they will need to remove the main roof to get access anyway. The front panel casting extends back into the main roof support frame quite a way.
The van goes back on monday to have the ill fitting roof adjusted, a missing bolt replaced and a drain cleared. It turns out that it was only a single bolt missing so for the missing bolts I was panicking more than I needed to. Thanks to a member on here for checking his pre repair roof as to what factory spec should be. :thanks VW cust services and the body shop have been good about keeping me informed and arranging the rectification. I will be checking thoroughly when it comes back later in the week.

Finally after a wait of over a year, I unexpectedly received a call from Shorade asking if I'd like to have my van booked in. The AA dropped a rather nice courtesy Cali off this evening and took mine away. Fingers crossed that the repair goes smoothly.

dex14 said:
Finally after a wait of over a year, I unexpectedly received a call from Shorade asking if I'd like to have my van booked in. The AA dropped a rather nice courtesy Cali off this evening and took mine away. Fingers crossed that the repair goes smoothly.
Sounds great. Do you know what number in the queue you are? I'm number 20, just wondering how many they have managed to repair. Cheers

I've no idea, sorry. My corrosion wasn't very extensive so I never really pushed VW to get it fixed since I needed it for my holidays in September. I initially thought I would be near the front since my original claim was submitted and accepted before they had acknowledged the manufacturing fault. Appears that this couldn't have been the case as my file was later resubmitted. Overall I have never worried about the work once VW had accepted the claim. I will keep my fingers crossed after February when my van reaches 6-years old.

Just has my van repaired by Heritage in Westbury. I'm reasonable local to them so when my van was delivered to the Van Centre across the road following a break down in France (that another story) Darren called me to ask if they could repair the roof while it was in for a mechanical repair. Good customer care from my point of view. The deal was I would have a Polo rather than a Cali whist the repair was done. That was fine by me especially in winter.

Talking to Darren last week he said that they are keen to get vans in and can do more than the 2 a fortnight limited by the availability of a Cali as courtesy vehicle. Parts are no longer an issue.

So if you are on the Heritage list and can live without a Cali for a couple of weeks give Darren a call.

My Cali has now been fixed by Shorade. It was away for two weeks. Work appears to be of a good standard and their customer service was very good. Let's see how long the fix on the main roof lasts.

dex14 said:
My Cali has now been fixed by Shorade. It was away for two weeks. Work appears to be of a good standard and their customer service was very good. Let's see how long the fix on the main roof lasts.

I'm 105 on the Shorrade list, spoke to them last week and they said they were doing 2 a month so that's a 4 year wait for me :censor

Which roof parts did you have repaired, front or back or both?
How long have you waited?

snowy55 said:
dex14 said:

I'm 105 on the Shorrade list, spoke to them last week and they said they were doing 2 a month so that's a 4 year wait for me :censor

Which roof parts did you have repaired, front or back or both?
How long have you waited?

simply outrageous
vw are taking the p*ss

I've not been on the forum much recently but have written to VW Commercial Vehicles Customer Services and can honestly say they are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. Their whole set up seems totally amateurish and find this hard to believe from a global player such as VW. They seem to have little or no record of my correspondence - I have copies. My dealings with the local dealership seem to have disappeared. They tell me me complaint is being dealt with as a matter of urgency then another two weeks go past and nothing. I have contacted the programme Watchdog, but they are off air at the moment. I wonder if enough members contacted them, could this bring some pressure to bear? I spent my life savings on my Cali and the way I'm being treated is leaving such a bad taste in my mouth, I'm thinking of selling the van. I bought it new in April 2012 and have bought umpteen accessories, etc, so am going to lose a lot of money. Also who wants to buy a van that has a known fault, which may have to wait years to be repaired. :headbang

Eanni - it is of course your decision should you wish to sell up but personally I wouldn't hasten to that approach.

I would certainly be keen to promote this issue as ultimately, maybe with legal backing, VW are obliged to make good.
If I feel that VW are avoiding appropriate recourse then I will engage with a solicitor and make damn sure they adhere to their legal obligations. (I have done this before successfully).
What is certainly well worth publicisng is their incredibly poor commitment to their customers which undoubtedly is not limited to the California. Here we have clearly documented evidence that a fault exists, despite VW's reluctance to admit, explain or apologise for the grief they are causing (re. their useless response).

It seems entirely possible that Watchdog (or similar) would be interested in this farce and particularly so if enough of us come forward with our own experiences.

I would suggest we make a concerted effort before giving up on what is ultimately a very desirable and enjoyable vehicle.

eanni said:
I've not been on the forum much recently but have written to VW Commercial Vehicles Customer Services and can honestly say they are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. Their whole set up seems totally amateurish and find this hard to believe from a global player such as VW. They seem to have little or no record of my correspondence - I have copies. My dealings with the local dealership seem to have disappeared. They tell me me complaint is being dealt with as a matter of urgency then another two weeks go past and nothing. I have contacted the programme Watchdog, but they are off air at the moment. I wonder if enough members contacted them, could this bring some pressure to bear? I spent my life savings on my Cali and the way I'm being treated is leaving such a bad taste in my mouth, I'm thinking of selling the van. I bought it new in April 2012 and have bought umpteen accessories, etc, so am going to lose a lot of money. Also who wants to buy a van that has a known fault, which may have to wait years to be repaired. :headbang

Don't sell, just get on & enjoy your California, visiting loads of places you would not have without your cali.

It will get repaired eventually, so don't stress over it as it is not worth the energy that takes.

We planned when we bought our van to keep it long term I look at the negative of the roof issue VW have agreed its repair and turn it into a positive - It will be fixed when it is about, I reckon 5 years old - a good age to have a nice new replacement roof canvas, works for me.

Exactly. :goodone

I'm looking at buying a Cali and am assuming that I will end up having to get the roof repaired under warranty. Does the roof canvas get renewed as part of the repair ?

As far as I know the roof canvas gets replaced only if the front panel is repaired, not if just the elevating roof is repaired.

I had both the front panel and roof repaired with brand new bellows fitted.

Under the 6 yr warranty for the roof the front panel is replaced. A new bellows is fitted.
The Elevating section of the roof is repaired/re-painted. The bellows is NOT replaced.

So if you have both done at one of the 4 Approved Repairers you get a new bellows.

I was at my dealer today, we had our Cali inspected in October for roof corrosion (we have corrosion on the pop top under the perimeter rubber seal plus very very minor signs of corrosion on the front panel).

Anyway, dealer confirmed our warranty claim for roof corrosion has been approved but there is a circa 12 month waiting list for the repair :eek:

Bjohnson said:
I was at my dealer today, we had our Cali inspected in October for roof corrosion (we have corrosion on the pop top under the perimeter rubber seal plus very very minor signs of corrosion on the front panel).

Anyway, dealer confirmed our warranty claim for roof corrosion has been approved but there is a circa 12 month waiting list for the repair :eek:

12 months, pah, I'm 105 on the list and they are doing 2 a month, you do the maths.
:help

Thanks for the replies regarding bellows. I got a far clearer reply from the forum than from VW dealers ! Many thanks.... Better buy a van now!

Well I had my roof survey carried out at the beginning of September. VW Leics confirmed that I had corrosion (May 09 reg)

This was the last I've heard. No comms from VW or a bodyshop!

Going in for service Feb time so will chase then.

At the very least I was expecting a letter on confirmation......!!!!

Back