Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 196 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 250 47.5%

• Total voters
Calikev said:
I tried that tactic with shorade to be told they have 2 loan Cali 's so makes no difference
They did say the more they do the quicker they are getting :thumb

We did the same , no joy

sue.h said:
Calikev said:
I tried that tactic with shorade to be told they have 2 loan Cali 's so makes no difference
They did say the more they do the quicker they are getting :thumb

We did the same , no joy

What number are you in the queue :?:

We started off 17, then 19 and currently 22nd. Daren't ask again lol
, well not lol really but you know what I mean

Sue

sue.h said:
We started off 17, then 19 and currently 22nd. Daren't ask again lol
, well not lol really but you know what I mean

Sue

Also they started off doing 2 per month and now they are faster they are doing 2 per month

Mmmmmm...... Don't quite get that

Oh I'm 72 in the queue. Good job I have decided to keep it :thumb

How long did you have to wait for a response from VWCS?
Was your response in reply to a request for information on your part or was it sent as a matter of course.
Our van was inspected while at our local vw dealer for MOT in October and we have not heard anything since..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyn said:
How long did you have to wait for a response from VWCS?
Was your response in reply to a request for information on your part or was it sent as a matter of course.
Our van was inspected while at our local vw dealer for MOT in October and we have not heard anything since..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roof looked at SMG November , SMG had feedback a couple of weeks after say our claim (main roof and front accepted. After a month nothing from VW to us so rang them ---- yes we are on their list, told they do not send out letter.(but would if I wanted it in writing :laugh2 )
After several more weeks and e-mails + about 4 phone calls finally got a letter saying they would repair roof, They also said you are no longer put on a waiting list at a repair centre VW would hold a central list which did not matter as my van would be transported to centre so it would not matter how far away from our home the repair centre was. I wanted a letter so if VW changed their mind I would have evidence of liability if I needed to take to court action in the future. Would have liked to have chosen repair centre
I would ring VW and request (then demand) a letter.

Just dropped mine in at Heritage in Westbury; decided to drop it off to jump the queue. Should take a week or so then we can sell it with total confidence that it's near perfect.

Currently on a train to hopefully pick up a replacement car.

Is anyone satisfied with the elevating roof fix?

I was told that they:

- Respray the roof
- Glue a replacement rubber seal to the roof
- Let dry for 24 hours, weirdly I was told the customer cannot have access or view the roof at this point (weird for this to be pointed out)

They have the vehicle for a week and no replacement Cali is provided, this repair can be done at any approved VW centre.

Personally I would be happier if the rubber part was a newly designed part, I'm not happy that it's glued down, if it was glued down and corrosion was taking place then most people wouldn't know as it would be under the seal.

There's nothing that inspires me with confidence here at all.

I rang VWCS last week as although my claim for both the front panel and elevating roof have been accepted I've not had anything in writing from Carrs Exeter. The letter came promptly confirming the acceptance and that the elevating roof repair would be carried out locally. However they've put a date of November this year for it to be carried out by so may have to chase Carrs to make sure it's getting sorted.

We'll we've gone from 13th in the queue back in late summer, to 6th late autumn, and now 1st.

Hire agreement signed and expecting the exchange today or Monday.

Interestingly the repair centre said they'd done 35 now :crazy so clearly the queue is not an orderly next-in-line-because-i'm-british type queue

This will be front roof, main roof, and hopefully tailgate handle (VW have so far offered a goodwill replacement at VW Poole only, rather than a warranty replacement able to be done along with the roof by Heritage, which is frankly ridiculous...)

Anyway happy days (assuming they do their job conscientiously)

Simon

reserves said:

I was told that they:

- Respray the roof
- Let dry for 24 hours, weirdly I was told the customer cannot have access or view the roof at this point (weird for this to be pointed out)

That's not quite the same as what was done to mine, which was done at the same time as the front section by one of the 4 approved to do both parts of the repair (Heritage).
The main rubber seal is defiantly not glued to the elevating part of the roof. Only exception to this is the rubber along the leading edge where the main roof closes against the front fairing.
My belief was that the edge with corrosion would be rubbed down, a new primer applied, respray that area (probably not the whole roof) and the rubber seal put back. I cant tell if the existing or new seal was used on mine. Suspect its the existing one.

I'm happy with what they have done on mine. Would also be happy with a glued on seal as long as the glue used had a bit of flexibility and had been applied (neatly) in such a way that any water could not get trapped between the rubber and roof edge.

reserves said:

I was told that they:

- Respray the roof

They have the vehicle for a week and no replacement Cali is provided, this repair can be done at any approved VW centre.

Personally I would be happier if the rubber part was a newly designed part, I'm not happy that it's glued down, if it was glued down and corrosion was taking place then most people wouldn't know as it would be under the seal.

This has been discussed on here in the past.
Ours had the edge rubbed down and re-sprayed via the local van centre. The seal was not replaced nor was it rubbed down. I will be easily able to check to see if the corrosion returns.

Ambler said:
reserves said:

I was told that they:

- Respray the roof

This has been discussed on here in the past.
Ours had the edge rubbed down and re-sprayed via the local van centre. The seal was not replaced nor was it rubbed down. I will be easily able to check to see if the corrosion returns.

I've been told that they are now glued down to stop water getting inside of the rubber.

If elevating roof repair not done by one of the 4 main repairers you will not automatically get a loan.

I asked Carrs about that today as they are 50 miles from me and they assured me I will get a loan vehicle (though it might be a car). Our cali is strictly for holidays only so we will arrange it around them.

Mitchelgayle said:
We have only just reported the corrossion on our 2013 plate Cali to the dealer, he said it probably wont be done till 2017/18, was he joking?
No, probably not at present rate they are repairing them.

Mitchelgayle said:
We have only just reported the corrossion on our 2013 plate Cali to the dealer, he said it probably wont be done till 2017/18, was he joking?

Might be worth speaking to your nominated repair centre - some can do it faster if you are willing to have a non-Cali courtesy car.

reserves said:

I was told that they:

- Respray the roof

Having previously been informed that the elevating roof repair did not require the replacement seal to be stuck on, I have now been informed by AB Crush that they ARE sticking the seal on with a special glue supplied by VW. The glue is applied all round the roof to provide a continuous barrier to stop water ingress and protect the "vulnerable" part of the roof. So there seems to be a disparity in the repair procedure as some owners are reporting that their seals are not being glued on.

This raises several questions:

1. Is there not a set VW repair procedure?

2. Hopefully the motivation for glueing the seals on is the desire to stop corrosion returning. The disadvantage is that it will stop owners checking if corrosion has returned within the extended warranty period.

3. Are the rubber seals on new Calis coming off the production line being glued on?

Please could we have some feedback from owners who have had their roofs repaired:

1. Glued?

2. Not glued?

3. Which bodyshop did your repair?

If you have recently purchased a new Cali, is the rubber seal stuck on?

Thanks.

Hi SusiBus

Cali SE built Jan 2014 seal not glued on.

During discussion with one of the "fab four" was told they were putting a strip of clear tape around the perimeter of the elevating section of the roof to act as a waterproof barrier.

I need just the elevating section repairing therefore not eligible for a replacement Cali but they have been told by Vw they cannot do mine earlier, out of sequence, even with no loan vehicle at all, even though they have workshop capacity, I must wait my turn in the queue.
I was number 105 in November and they are repairing 2 per month. :shocked

Are these long waiting times Vws way of spreading the cost?????

Ours was fixed locally at an independent body shop used extensively by the local Vw dealer.
I spoke to the manager who said in his opinion that the cause was water getting under the seal.
The roof was repaired and a black pvc (?) tape,was attached to the metal edge, which he said should stop corrosion recurring. Clear tape would have been better, as I cannot see under the tape. However, the tape does not come all the way up to the top of the rubber seal, so potential for more problems. The rubber seal was not glued down.

If corrosion returns under the tape I would expect it to bubble and be noticeable.

Back