Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.3%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 248 47.5%

• Total voters
I've just been looking at the report on my van from the previous owners dealings with vw, the total for the repair is roughly £1350 I'm number 61 they are at number 40 just now. My question is am I only getting the front bit repaired not the full thing.

Some people have said the repair cost for the front panel is nearly £4000 so for £1350 could just be the bubbling under the rubber seal on the elevating roof?

I would check with VWCS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Does not look very clever! No not how they are doing the repair here.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Some people have said the repair cost for the front panel is nearly £4000 so for £1350 could just be the bubbling under the rubber seal on the elevating roof?

I would check with VWCS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Following the guidance on this site I was checking my front panel regularly and under the rubber on the roof. Checked just prior to the service in Jun and found the dreaded bubbles under the rubber trim. Photo taken by JCT600 York, approved in 2 days and painted in 2 weeks - I emphasise roof only but handled quickly and efficiently by dealer.

In Spain VW used to fix the front panel same way than here, but looks like last ones are being fixed with such a shaby "plastic" cover. Same thing in Germany.

OK - I am really frustrated right now:

2007 Cali, bought second hand one year ago. Last week, I discovered this roof corrosion problem on front panel: bubbles under the paint. Made a lot of calls, ended at a VW garage familiar with the problem. Was told that very likely it would be repaired under warrant (they have never refused before).

Today I got an email: it will not be covered, because the Calis is more than 6 years old. They kindly attached an invoice in case I want to have it fixed: 4993 Euro!!

What should I do now?
- I will try with some help of a Belgian "customer's organisation". But do you think I have any chance of succes?
- Are there any cheaper alternatives to fix the problem?
- And again, if not repaired: what will happen? Will only the front panel get affected, of the whole bus? Will the paint completely come of, with shining aluminium underneath?? Or is there any chance to "mask" this problem with some hippy flowers??

Sorry - I think I am a bit desperate right now. This Cali is in a really good state... well treated and functioning. So... any thoughts?

Thank you!

You should, if you have the time, read through this thread. But in summary. This is bimetallic corrosion between the aluminium alloy and the steel body ( if it is the section above the windscreen ) or if on the elevating roof around the edge between the aluminium and the steel reinforcing of the rubber seal. THIS IS NOT STRUCTURAL but cosmetic. It is common on the Land Rover Defender and has been since 1947.
The VW repair is a permenant repair by replacing the alloy casting.
You can get the section resprayed using a thick zinc based primer on the stripped back metal. This could give you a repair that could last as long as yours has so far ! That is 7 years.
The elevating roof is just rubbed down, thick zinc primer and resprayed with a new rubber seal.
With a possible insulating tape under the seal.

This would be substantially cheaper than the permenant repair.

VW will not change their decision.

Thank you. I am reading and reading all over again. Somebody mentions a "pro-rata" arrangement with VW?

We've got our Cali back from Shorade.
I have to say they have done a fantastic job and we even have a brand new roof canvas too. I don't quite know why and I'm reluctant to ask!
I must also say I found Shorade very efficient and helpful. So anyone on their list should have no worries.

Just had a phone call from AB Cruch, my cali is going in on 1st Feb. That will be 17 months from where the claim was agreed. Also of note is that I won't be having the loan vehicle, had that of been the case I'd have had to wait until August - I didn't fancy not having my cali for the summer period with the hassle of swopping out all my bits and bobs. Looking forward to having it done - new canvas is a welcome bonus, mine isn't looking the best.

Just received mine back from AB Crush.
Raining and miserable out.
I'll give it a check over in the morning ( if it stops raining ).
Then I think a trip to the seaside for a few days. Lovely to have it back.

Just confirmed today ours in going into heritage on October 28th. Mixed feelings as it hasn't been affected too badly and the thought of major surgery to our pride and joy worries me.
I'm sure they know what they're doing though!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

AB Crush made a brilliant job of ours. It came out better than new. Have no fear!

AB Crush made a brilliant job of ours. It came out better than new. Have no fear!
We too used AB Crush and the workmanship is totally flawless and colour matching is bang on. You can't tell they have actually done any repairs, the Cali came back looking brand new!

Just received mine back from AB Crush.
Raining and miserable out.
I'll give it a check over in the morning ( if it stops raining ).
Then I think a trip to the seaside for a few days. Lovely to have it back.
It's stopped raining so I have had a good look at AB Crush work. Looks perfect.
Rob

Has anyone considered deferring their repair (if it's a possibility). I had a call from Shorade on Monday telling me I am next in line, haven't managed to get back in touch with them yet to discuss logistics.

From what I can decipher in the warranty paperwork, mine is due to go in for both the new front panel and elevating roof repair. I haven't noticed the bubbling on the front panel and the rear panel is very minimal and has only got marginally worse over the last year. I got VWCS to confirm that the work is covered by a 3 year warranty from the point the work is carried out. So until it starts to bother me I'm tempted to leave the repair as long as possible and let others who it bothers more get the repair done, the theory being that it gives me the longest period under warranty for the roof and gives the repair process a chance to be fine tuned (I've seen a few different posts on varying approaches to the repair).

Is it just me having these thoughts? Of course when I get back in touch with Shorade I may be told I need to take it or leave it.

Just organised mine to go into VW Heritage Devizes for repair in mid November.
I was told I was next in line a while ago and when they were informed I didn't need a replacement Cali I seem to have been promoted so I'll keep you posted.

Has anyone considered deferring their repair (if it's a possibility). I had a call from Shorade on Monday telling me I am next in line, haven't managed to get back in touch with them yet to discuss logistics.

From what I can decipher in the warranty paperwork, mine is due to go in for both the new front panel and elevating roof repair. I haven't noticed the bubbling on the front panel and the rear panel is very minimal and has only got marginally worse over the last year. I got VWCS to confirm that the work is covered by a 3 year warranty from the point the work is carried out. So until it starts to bother me I'm tempted to leave the repair as long as possible and let others who it bothers more get the repair done, the theory being that it gives me the longest period under warranty for the roof and gives the repair process a chance to be fine tuned (I've seen a few different posts on varying approaches to the repair).

Is it just me having these thoughts? Of course when I get back in touch with Shorade I may be told I need to take it or leave it.

Personally I would get it done now. VW have already said they will be short of money in the coming years as a result of the software problem. Who knows what savings the new management team will make?

My Cali had the roof repair on front above cab and around the edges of the raising roof. I hadn't noticed the slight blistering on the raising roof but the VW dealership in Coventry identified it when I asked for the cab roof to be made good. The repair all looks fine.

Personally I would get it done now. VW have already said they will be short of money in the coming years as a result of the software problem. Who knows what savings the new management team will make?
I'd echo this, get it done while you know you can.

When I booked mine in 2014 the bloke at SMG mentioned that there was a "campaign" for the roof repairs that expired the following March. Obviously this was extended as they are still accepting claims, but I assume there could be a time when they stop doing the repairs too, best to get in while you can in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to it going off, I quite like the idea of a 'new' Cali for the summer. Mine is just over 6 years old now, so has picked up a couple of marks, so going to get those done whilst it's there