VW sat nav versus other systems

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
A lot has been said about the navigation options for the VW California, with posters either adoring the system or hating it.

It is intended that this thread should be about data comparing the systems, not posters' general feelings about the system they use.

General Format:

Trip [Name of journey]
Distance
Time of day
System 1
[insert name of system] time estimate
System 2
[insert name of system] time estimate
System 3+
[optional] time estimate
Actual time taken
Comments

Trip SMG Tonbridge to London SE12
Distance 29 miles
Time of day 4pm
System 1 Google maps - 41 minutes
System 2 Discover media with TMC but not live traffic data - 33 minutes
System 3 Discover media with TMC and live traffic data - 44 minutes
Actual time taken - 43 minutes
Comments - same route with Google Maps and Discover media. Discover media vastly overestimated the time to cover the final mile, saying at 41 minutes into the journey that the journey would complete after 48 minutes! However, it's original estimate was marginally closer than Google Maps.

Hi Tom, i have the full version VW sat nav on my car touchscreen. The VWs sat nav is very good but I use a dedicated 5200 Tom Tom 95% of the time with free live traffic, speed camers and worldwide lifetime maps. You just cannot beat a tomtom, it just works!. In grades, a VW sat nav would get a 'B' and a Tom tom tom would get an A*. I have also used Garmin, Becker, Google maps over the years (B when they work, E when they have a seisure!). I have a £300 top of the range Tom tom. Its saved me HOURS on journeys over the years getting to work and home early! So so SO impressed. Dont even know how much VW charge for updated maps?

Hi Tom, i have the full version VW sat nav on my car touchscreen. The VWs sat nav is very good but I use a dedicated 5200 Tom Tom 95% of the time with free live traffic, speed camers and worldwide lifetime maps. You just cannot beat a tomtom, it just works!. In grades, a VW sat nav would get a 'B' and a Tom tom tom would get an A*. I have also used Garmin, Becker, Google maps over the years (B when they work, E when they have a seisure!). I have a £300 top of the range Tom tom. Its saved me HOURS on journeys over the years getting to work and home early! So so SO impressed. Dont even know how much VW charge for updated maps?
T6 updates are free if you do it yourself.

I plugged my iphone into apple car play today (as I do everyday on my way home from work).
Instantly it recognised where I was.
Navigation on apple maps to home pops up without any input from me.
Time / date in view
ETA in view
Option to swithch from overview to full guidance.
Shows traffic congestion.
Can't say if VW sat nav does this?

But very useful...
Today approaching the Junction 4 split between M27 and M3 I was for warned that traffic approaching Rownhams was slow (orange) and M3 was heavy (Red). M27 was then free from warnings before junction 5.
I chose to continue my journey on the M27 which is normally a tad longer but as I reached the junction smugly in the outer lanes I saw everyone on the M3 hitting their brakes. The live update of this is real time and as I sailed on through I couldn't help but let out a yell of ''Come on the Apple''.
Also when I plan a route it will ask en route if I would like to save 'X' amount of time. If I say yes it redirects.
That said I'll probably take my tomtom too on longer journeys for speed cameras/

We love Google Maps, using our phone and App Connect.The big advantage of this is that you can program your route from home and don't have to sit in the car to plan the journey. For more comfort I often plan the journey on my big-screen computer and then use the option "Send to phone".

We love Google Maps, using our phone and App Connect.The big advantage of this is that you can program your route from home and don't have to sit in the car to plan the journey. For more comfort I often plan the journey on my big-screen computer and then use the option "Send to phone".
You can do this as well on a tom tom via the tom tom app so when your in your car, its its all set up. Problem using phones is a.) You have to remember your phone and if your losse your phone, you loose your sat nav! b.) It slowly kills your battery having it plugged in all the time charging c) you have to have a phone and good internet signal or you can download the maps which can take a while if your going from scotland to london d.) Google maps does have some flaws and can choose some crazy routes when off the main roads.

This thread is intended to be about real-life performance •data• of VW navigation systems compared with other systems, not different features of different systems or users' preferred interface.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

This thread is intended to be about real-life performance •data• of VW navigation systems compared with other systems, not different features of different systems or users' preferred interface.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Fair enough, I would choose a TomTom Tom
:D

Trip London SE12 to Ashbourne
Distance 169 miles
Time of day 10.30am
System 1 Discover media time estimate 2hr 45
System 2 Discover media with live traffic information time estimate 2hr 55
System 3 Google Maps time estimate 3hr 8
Actual time taken 3hr 50 less 40 min break - 3hr 10
Comments Clear Google Maps win

Trip Ashbourne to London SE12
Distance 169 miles
Time of day 4:02
System 1 Discover media time estimate 2hr 45
System 2 Discover media with live traffic information time estimate 3hr 06
System 3 Google Maps time estimate 3hr 12
Actual time taken
4hr 5 less 35 min break - 3hr 30
Comments Traffic building on M25 as I drove south. Discover Media tried to redirect me through Central London which I disregarded. Another win for Google Maps.

Is that the only way to have the speed cameras highlighted or
is there also a way with an iPhone ?
You can load camera database on to RNS510. How to in download area. But only shows icons on screen. There is no way to get audio alert.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

On my current trip I decided to use the TOM TOM as well as Apple car play via app connect. I've covered some of the list below before but more confident now that App connect is a way better option. Many small things add up to a more pleasing experience.

- App connect voice guidance comes through door speakers and is so much better than listening to the tom tom speaker.
- The App connect obviously mutes the radio or what ever when giving guidance, the tom tom doesn't.
- App connect shows me current traffic congestion, my tom tom needs an external ariel suckered on to the screen to do that if I remember right and possibly a subscription?
- App connect takes Siri voice commands, my tom tom doesn't
- Looking at the display in the dash for App connect is a better experience than the tom tom stuck on the windscreen and mine falls off from time to time.
- Looking at the display in the dash for App connect is a better experience than the tom tom due to the screen size.
- No dangling lead across the dash with App connect.
- App connect will suggest time saving route alterations through out the journey, tom tom wont.
- With directions and accuracy there was nothing in it. Both behaved almost identically.
- Tom Tom warns me of speed cameras, App connect with Apple maps currently doesn't.
- I think if you have a data plan that permits, App connect is world wide with out extra cost unlike tom tom's map pricing.

Money well spent I think.

Back