Warranty offered by VWCS, post 3 years.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
My California is out of warranty on the 1st December, being 3 yrs old.
I received an email from VWCS regarding extending my Warranty for a further year. There were 2 options, Named Component, which basically covers Engine, gearbox, drivetrain, brakes and electrical system but with some exclusions mainly those items that wear, and the Full Warranty exactly as I have now, supposedly.
So I emailed them asking confirmation that the Hydraulic roof, Fridge, Parking Heater, Awning, Camper electrics, water and waste systems, kitchen units and rear seat/bed were covered.
Back came the answer from their underwriter NO!.
So I have accused them of publishing misleading information in their emails on their website and in their T&Cs and threatening them with Trading Standards and the ASA as nowhere does it mention that ALL the camping accessories on the California are excluded.
Guess what? Within 20 minutes of sending that email I get a response-

Our Ref: CMT1237/AE

Mr Woodsford

Date: 10/11/17

Dear Mr Woodsford

We refer to your recent communication and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

A comprehensive review is now underway into the concerns you have raised. We will contact you again as soon as the review has been completed. If ongoing we will advise of the progress made at four weeks from the date of receipt of your original complaint.

Please find enclosed a leaflet explaining our complaints handling process for your information.

If you have any questions at this stage, please do not hesitate to contact us on the number provided.

Yours sincerely

Adrian Evans

Business Manager

Enclosure: Complaints Leaflet

This should be interesting.

My California is out of warranty on the 1st December, being 3 yrs old.
I received an email from VWCS regarding extending my Warranty for a further year. There were 2 options, Named Component, which basically covers Engine, gearbox, drivetrain, brakes and electrical system but with some exclusions mainly those items that wear, and the Full Warranty exactly as I have now, supposedly.
So I emailed them asking confirmation that the Hydraulic roof, Fridge, Parking Heater, Awning, Camper electrics, water and waste systems, kitchen units and rear seat/bed were covered.
Back came the answer from their underwriter NO!.
So I have accused them of publishing misleading information in their emails on their website and in their T&Cs and threatening them with Trading Standards and the ASA as nowhere does it mention that ALL the camping accessories on the California are excluded.
Guess what? Within 20 minutes of sending that email I get a response-

Our Ref: CMT1237/AE

Mr Woodsford

Date: 10/11/17

Dear Mr Woodsford

We refer to your recent communication and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

A comprehensive review is now underway into the concerns you have raised. We will contact you again as soon as the review has been completed. If ongoing we will advise of the progress made at four weeks from the date of receipt of your original complaint.

Please find enclosed a leaflet explaining our complaints handling process for your information.

If you have any questions at this stage, please do not hesitate to contact us on the number provided.

Yours sincerely

Adrian Evans

Business Manager

Enclosure: Complaints Leaflet

This should be interesting.

That would be interesting WelshGas as I wasn’t offered an extended warranty when I got my van in April 15 . Could you post the details of their offer please . To be honest the drivetrain etc would be better than nothing . Expect it’s expensive . Mines only done 16k . At Tall trees tonight for Club meet tomorrow .

That would be interesting WelshGas as I wasn’t offered an extended warranty when I got my van in April 15 . Could you post the details of their offer please . To be honest the drivetrain etc would be better than nothing . Expect it’s expensive . Mines only done 16k . At Tall trees tonight for Club meet tomorrow .
This is what I received. It is expensive and my money will be going into an ISA.

No pictures? See this email in full

vw_banner.png

vwcv_banner_03.jpg

spacer.gif

Hi Dr. Woodsford,

Your Volkswagen Commercial Warranty Cover is coming to an end on 30/11/2017.

The good news is you can continue benefiting from cover with a Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle Extended Warranty.

Whether you choose to cover all or some of the key components of your Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle, you will have the peace of mind that your vehicle will be repaired at a Volkswagen Approved Van Centre, by Volkswagen Trained Technicians using only Volkswagen Genuine Parts.

It only takes a few minutes to get cover, simply click the button below for a quote.

spacer.gif

Get Cover now >>
spacer.gif

1072197097.gif

Features and benefits:

spacer.gif

vw_arrow.png
Guaranteed use of a Volkswagen Approved Van Centre and Volkswagen Trained Technicians
spacer.gif

vw_arrow.png
Repairs using only Volkswagen Genuine Parts
spacer.gif

vw_arrow.png
Two levels of cover - 'All Components' and 'Named Components'
spacer.gif

vw_arrow.png
A choice of excess levels - £0, £100, £250
spacer.gif

vw_arrow.png
Spread the cost by paying monthly, or you can pay upfront
1072197097.gif

For more information on what's covered use the link below:

spacer.gif

Find out more >>
spacer.gif

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle Financial Services is a trading name of Volkswagen Financial Services (UK) Limited ("VWFS UK"), registered in England and Wales with company number 2835230. Registered office: Brunswick Court, Yeomans Drive, Blakelands, Milton Keynes MK14 5LR. Financial and consumer credit services are provided by VWFS UK. VWFS UK is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), registration number 311988. Authorisation details can be checked on the FCA's register at www.fca.org.uk or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768.

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle Extended Warranty Cover from Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle Financial Services is sold and administered by Lawshield (UK) Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle Extended Warranty Cover is underwritten by Volkswagen Versicherung AG, acting through its French branch registered in Pontoise number: 529212912 (registered office: 15 Avenue de la Demi Lune, Batiment Ellipse, 95700, Roissy en France).

Volkswagen Versicherung AG is authorised and regulated by the German Finance Authority (Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht, located at Graurheindorfer Str. 108, 53117 Bonn, Germany) and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority in respect of underwriting insurance business in the UK (register number: 621892).

VWFS UK and Volkswagen Versicherung Aktiengesellschaft are part of the same corporate group. Lawshield (UK) Limited are not part of the same corporate group.

HO

Hi Welsh Gas,
In 2015 we purchased a 3 year INCHCAPE warranty on our new California.
We were told it would cover everything including all the camper components.
We are buying a new California and will be selling the 2015 one next year.
We contacted our VW garage to make sure everything would be covered when it is sold and were reassured everything would be. We wanted it in writing and after quite a lengthy wait were forwarded an email from Inchcape extended warranty saying "Whilst we didn't set out with the intention to cover such things as fridges, we accept Inchcape sells such vehicles and we are therefore willing to take the risk as the numbers will not be big in terms of claims"
I am relieved that I have received this clarification.
It will be very interesting to see how you go on and good luck-I think you will be needing it!

I have just gone through a session regarding extended warranty with VW.

When I purchased my T6 I intended to take out an extended warranty. Can't do, you'll have to contact VW yourself said the Salesman. No information on how to do that given. Happy to sell service package.

As normal with collection and holidays etc I forgot about it for a while. I did go online to do it but it came up with a message requesting an invitation to extend warranty number. I thought that I had to wait for that so took no further action.
Last week I emailed VWCV asking for directions on how to obtain an extended warranty. Eventually got a message saying that the Dealer handled this but to contact VWCV if any further problems.
Thought that as I seemed to be going round in circles I telephoned VWCV. Various press button options given including to contact local dealer for extended warranty?? Took option to speak to someone. Explained my situation and told that it would be passed on but as I hadn't taken out a warranty at purchase nothing could be done now.

Got a call back today and the current situation is -
Take out a warranty on purchase or within 90 days of that. After 90 days only option is to wait until 35 months after purchase when VWCV should send out an invitation to purchase an extended warranty.

As I am now outside the 90 days no extended warranty can be offered. The fact that there has been a change in extended warranty processing since I purchased my T6 in March '17 is my problem.

Gives the option of replacing the Cali after 3 years more favourable. I have kept my last 5 vehicles until the warranty expired. Cali was to be a longer ownership but...

I have just gone through a session regarding extended warranty with VW.

I presume the salesman was just being lazy, perhaps no commission on the extended warranty, a lot of buyers on here have arranged the deal with their selling dealer before the dreaded 90 day cut off.
I hope the salesman made the comment in an email, you may have some leverage to get them to admit responsibility for the mistake.

I was told by my dealer that as I was buying my Cali from stock, rather than ordering one, I needed to wait until the VW warranty ran out before I could arrange an extended warranty. It was only after reading posts on this forum I discovered that I had been misinformed, but by that time my 90 day period had elapsed. It took almost a year and not a little persuasion but I now have the extended warranty. Well, I've paid for it at least, you don't get a card or any real confirmation that the warranty is in place which is a bit poor.

I think a lot of them don't know about it. I only got one because I read about it on here. Had to chase a bit to get it.

When I asked the dealership to check it had been registered, they had no record & were very confused. I rang VWCS & it's there, as it's past the quarterly upload, but on a different system.

Hi Welsh Gas,
In 2015 we purchased a 3 year INCHCAPE warranty on our new California.
We were told it would cover everything including all the camper components.
We are buying a new California and will be selling the 2015 one next year.
We contacted our VW garage to make sure everything would be covered when it is sold and were reassured everything would be. We wanted it in writing and after quite a lengthy wait were forwarded an email from Inchcape extended warranty saying "Whilst we didn't set out with the intention to cover such things as fridges, we accept Inchcape sells such vehicles and we are therefore willing to take the risk as the numbers will not be big in terms of claims"
I am relieved that I have received this clarification.
It will be very interesting to see how you go on and good luck-I think you will be needing it!
Oh I don't intend taking out the warranty as there are so many exclusions etc. The extension you can buy within 90 days is good value. But there are milage limits to both and i'll be exceeding them shortly.

Does anybody know if one of the clubs like Caravan and Camping or campervan insurers or general insurers offer a decent aftermarket extended warranty?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

buy within 90 days is good value.
There is a choice of miles on VW warranty bought within 90days below on VW website
  • A range of flexible options offered at competitive prices with 80,000, 120,000 and 150,000 mile limits
  • Easy to arrange. Simply talk to your local Van Centre
  • Must be purchased within three months of your vehicle’s initial registration

Does anybody know if one of the clubs like Caravan and Camping or campervan insurers or general insurers offer a decent aftermarket extended warranty?

Apparantly Caravan and Motorhome do. Must look into it. It does cover all manufacturers fixture and fittings.

I had a a search online and there are numerous warranty suppliers.
One I looked at was Motoeasy who did various levels of cover up to and including annual service and MOT for under £600.
Only cover for mechanical & basic electrics given. Cali additions to standard van wouldn't be included although I'd think that for additional cost these could be included. After all extended warranty is just another type of insurance cover.

I couldn't get any actual quotes as my Cali is still in 3 year VW warranty period. Be interesting what any T5 owner can find on this subject.

Looks like better deals are available outside of VW's limited offerings.

Check the Euro engine rating, should be Euro4 at that age. Reason being LEZ now penalise pre Euro 4 and may step up in future making values crash.
Just something to bear in mind.
Make sure that any DPF fitted is fully operational as the MOT will be including stricter checks next year. Currently just visual.

Well, Today I received an email from a Manager at VW Commercial regarding my Complaint that the Post3 year warranty they offer does not include all the Habitation equipment that is unique to the California.

I just couldn't believe it. My reply was short and to the point.

Good morning Mr Woodsford,

This complaint has now been referred to me and I am currently liaising with the insurer to understand why cover has not been offered to you.

The updated information you have sent is really helpful and I thank you for that. When you purchased the vehicle was all the camping equipment you are referring to added to the vehicle as optional extras or were they part of the standard equipment that came with the vehicle?

I look forward to hearing back from you and I will progress very quickly upon receipt of your reply.

Kind Regards

Adrian Evans

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles
Adrian Evans
Volkswagen CV Administration Manager
Tel: 0333 043 3784 | Fax: 0333 043 3798 | Email: a.evans@connexus.co.uk | Web: www.insurewithvwcv.co.uk PO Box 869, Warrington, WA4 6LD

Well, Today I received an email from a Manager at VW Commercial regarding my Complaint that the Post3 year warranty they offer does not include all the Habitation equipment that is unique to the California.

This complaint has now been referred to me and I am currently liaising with the insurer to understand why cover has not been offered to you.

The updated information you have sent is really helpful and I thank you for that. When you purchased the vehicle was all the camping equipment you are referring to added to the vehicle as optional extras or were they part of the standard equipment that came with the vehicle?

I look forward to hearing back from you and I will progress very quickly upon receipt of your reply.

Kind Regards

Adrian Evans

Adrian Evans

Tel: 0333 043 3784 | Fax: 0333 043 3798 | Email: a.evans@connexus.co.uk | Web: www.insurewithvwcv.co.uk PO Box 869, Warrington, WA4 6LD
I would just send them a copy of the online brochure, the email detailed above is mind boggling, do they know they sell campers?

I would just send them a copy of the online brochure, the email detailed above is mind boggling, do they know they sell campers?
I’m not sure they do.

Kind Regards

Adrian Evans

Adrian Evans

He clearly doesn't understand your complaint.

I'm encountering similar levels of incompetence with Greenwich Council over school admission for Ben. For some reason they are suffering an intellectual block understanding that they are Ben's "home local authority"* when we are travelling overseas.

Similarly, I suspect that VW are having an intellectual block separating factory fit camping equipment from accessories such as a driveaway awning!

The ridiculous thing is that we are laymen explaining the rules to the professionals.

I am 100% confident that the extended warranty bought within 3 months of purchase covers the van and all factory options.

I am 100% confident that the statutory schools admissions code does not exclude applications for children whose parents have temporarily rented the home where the child normally resides so the family can travel.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Last edited:
very very poor

Now getting somewhere after 3 weeks - it seems a result.

Could possibly mean a cheaper warranty for year 4/5 . Depending on the “ risk “ involved.

D1DD5BC9-3BA6-473F-9892-3E6CB9FABDC5.jpeg

Back