Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extended VW Warranty Options At End Of 3 Years

Ian-s

Ian-s

IanS
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi Owners, My 3 year VW warranty ends in November, and I was considering what options I may have to extend. The VW web site does not give you any information unless it is within 30 days of expiring. I did not get the factory option because it was over 3 months from registration !
I am usually dubious of this type of policy (usually an insurance backed) because excesses and exclusions usually make them poor value in my opinion, Has anyone recently been given the options for a Cali that has covered around 20K miles, was it good value & cover etc. ?

Hi Owners, My 3 year VW warranty ends in November, and I was considering what options I may have to extend. The VW web site does not give you any information unless it is within 30 days of expiring. I did not get the factory option because it was over 3 months from registration !
I am usually dubious of this type of policy (usually an insurance backed) because excesses and exclusions usually make them poor value in my opinion, Has anyone recently been given the options for a Cali that has covered around 20K miles, was it good value & cover etc. ?
I have been thinking about this myself, as my warranty ends at the end of March. Mileage 31k.

I have just gone on the VW website.

Full all component cover with £0 excess and up to 15k miles a year cost is £699.98

In 3 years I have used warranty 2 times to replace radio head unit and to replace rear blind. I was told that the head unit was around £2000 to replace, but I would probably buy a Kenwood or similar if it went again. Blind probably a couple of hundred £ ?

I always have VW servicing when due, so hope that anything will be picked up here.

I will look at other non VW warranty options before making final decision.

I have been thinking about this myself, as my warranty ends at the end of March. Mileage 31k.

Full all component cover with £0 excess and up to 15k miles a year cost is £699.98

In 3 years I have used warranty 2 times to replace radio head unit and to replace rear blind. I was told that the head unit was around £2000 to replace, but I would probably buy a Kenwood or similar if it went again. Blind probably a couple of hundred £ ?

I always have VW servicing when due, so hope that anything will be picked up here.

OK I have just completed some simple searches online for alternatives....

Click4Warranty - 5star all included cover for 3 years - £616.56

Plus going via TopCashBack gives a £31.50 cashback.
Even covers wear and tear items.

I will look to find some reviews first.

Looking at exclusions.....I think that Click4Waranty have ruled themselves out now.

What is not insured?
General exclusions only
Any part not listed under the policy type selected by you
Costs incurred prior to us issuing claims authorisation
Paintwork, bodywork, key locks, wheels, tyres, fuses, hoses, shock absorbers, parts not fitted as standard.
Burnt or worn-out clutch parts, build-up of carbon deposits
Routine adjustments, replacements & service items such as air filters, antifreeze, batteries, belts, brake discs and drums, brake pads, brake shoes, bulbs, wiper blades
Exhaust system, catalytic converter, fan belts, spark plugs, DPF, fuel injectors, EGR valves, DSG specific components
LPG, Electric or Hybrid powered vehicles
Vehicles used, or have been used, for hire, reward, taxi, driving school, commercial delivery
Any vehicle 5000cc or over
Ford Cosworth, Honda NSX, Hummer, Jaguar vehicles over 4000cc, Mercedes AMG, Lotus, Mitsubishi 3000 GT, Nissan 300ZX/Skyline, Porsche, Mazda RX7 and RX8, Subaru WRX.
Vehicles with a carrying capacity over 35cwt (1.75 tonne)

I think I will wait to see what comes to me via VW.

I have read that VW will contact me before the present warranty expires.....just over 1 month to go - nothing yet!

Hi Alan, thanks for the information. I have had similar warranty claim level, but for different things. Do you know if that is insurance backed or direct from VW ?, does it cover everything that the manufacturer cover would IE all of the camping items etc ? Thanks again Ian.

Hi Alan, thanks for the information. I have had similar warranty claim level, but for different things. Do you know if that is insurance backed or direct from VW ?, does it cover everything that the manufacturer cover would IE all of the camping items etc ? Thanks again Ian.
Insurance based and nothing like the 3 yr Warranty. £2500 maximum claim and numerous exclusions. Costs on average £600+ / year.

Well quick update.

I have just made a 3 year (39 month) deal with MotorEasy. £1200 with 12k miles per year and no excess.

Covers all parts excluding Tyres, Brake Pads and discs, Exhaust pipes, Paintwork, Upholstery, Battery..

No claim limits beyond value of vehicle.

Repairs will be undertaken at VW Birmingham Van Centre using genuine VW parts. Or another nominated VW Van centre. I specifically checked this.

So anything found during routine servicing and MOT just means a verification call to MotorEasy to approve.

Price is somewhat dependent on your postcode....i.e. London and Southern labour rates are more expensive.

MotorEasy have pre-arranged labour rates with most major garages.

Does provide a simple recovery too to nearest garage (not necessarily VW) - But I buy comprehensive breakdown for whole family anyway, so unlikely to need.

Cover is International.

I think that an equivalent VW plan will be well in excess of £2000.

I have time to review documentation and can cancel with full refund - although I think that it provides what I need.

The usual failures are covered - DPF, Water Pump, Turbo, Engine/Gearbox sensors etc.

I'm told that everything covered as long as standard fit by manufacturer.

If I find anything during my reading of documentation then I'll provide an update here.

Further update.

I received the policy details from MotorEasy.

Having read through all the inclusions and exclusions, I needed to contact MotorEasy to ask whether the VW Campervan facilities for Sleeping, Cooking, Washing, Heating were included.

The reply I received said that the roof mechanism is included but the Cooking Hob, Sink Washing, and Auxiliary Heater are not covered.

I have queried this and await a response.

I have argued that I was told that providing the items are standard fit from the manufacturer (which they are) then they are covered. Clearly this is not the case.

Indeed the items now excluded are the items that indeed move a standard VW Transporter to be a VW campervan.

I will await a further reply tomorrow.

What do other California owners think about this?

Would you buy non VW Extended Warranty knowing that these items are not covered?

Having looked around and compared other provider cover, I think that MotorEasy can provide one of the best alternatives to that from VW. But these additional 'Campervan' exclusions may be a deal breaker.

I have the option to cancel the policy and receive a full refund.

Depending on if and how MotorEasy come back, I might be tempted to go the VW Extended Warranty route.

What do you think about this?

Further update.

Having read through all the inclusions and exclusions, I needed to contact MotorEasy to ask whether the VW Campervan facilities for Sleeping, Cooking, Washing, Heating were included.

The reply I received said that the roof mechanism is included but the Cooking Hob, Sink Washing, and Auxiliary Heater are not covered.

I have argued that I was told that providing the items are standard fit from the manufacturer (which they are) then they are covered. Clearly this is not the case.

Indeed the items now excluded are the items that indeed move a standard VW Transporter to be a VW campervan.

Would you buy non VW Extended Warranty knowing that these items are not covered?

Having looked around and compared other provider cover, I think that MotorEasy can provide one of the best alternatives to that from VW. But these additional 'Campervan' exclusions may be a deal breaker.

Depending on if and how MotorEasy come back, I might be tempted to go the VW Extended Warranty route.

Interesting. However, Motoreasy versus VW - I would compare only on the van part of it. Don't think there is much to go wrong with the habitation area. It is the mechanical part (including the roof mechanism, and you say that is covered by ME), that will be more of a worry and that is where I would look at exclusions and inclusions on ME versus VW. The Motoreasy one seems to trump there?

Further update.

1. Check the reviews about MotorEasy

2. VW post 3 yr warranty has some onerous conditions and caps on claims. If you are low milage something to be considered but read the small print.

Myself - I have a fund, added to each year for problems. Not used it yet.

1. Check the reviews about MotorEasy

2. VW post 3 yr warranty has some onerous conditions and caps on claims. If you are low milage something to be considered but read the small print.

Myself - I have a fund, added to each year for problems. Not used it yet.

My warranty expires this June.
Personally, I will stick a couple of grand in a cash ISA as a rainy day fund.
The money is better in my pocket...

My warranty expires this June.
Personally, I will stick a couple of grand in a cash ISA as a rainy day fund.
The money is better in my pocket...
I think that is usually the cheapest option so long as you are prepared to take the hit of a big repair every now and then.

Hi Alan, thanks for the comprehensive response. I suspected the camping equipment may be an issue. The Cali is unique in that it is a all factory product and the insurerer has not considered that. As with all of these things you are making a desision on the unknown. Personally I think that it still looks reasonable value, if it really does cover the rest of the van without any trip wires. Many of the camping items are accesable and relatively low cost. That said I have just had the camper control unit replaced and the parts cost alone would have been £800. It would be good to hear how this concludes for you.

I have a mid 2018 Cali Ocean and asked my local dealer last week - he said around 600 CHF per year up to 5 years. Contact them six months before 3 year warranty expires - do not leave it until the last minute (month)

I have a mid 2018 Cali Ocean and asked my local dealer last week - he said around 600 CHF per year up to 5 years. Contact them six months before 3 year warranty expires - do not leave it until the last minute (month)
I have 1 month to go.

There is a VW website in UK for the VW Extended Warranty.

Enter registration and mileage....in my case 2017 reg. and 31.8k miles

Select Comprehensive or selective component cover...in my case Comprehensive

Select annual mileage up to 10k, up to 15k, over 15k....inn my case up to 15k

Select excess you are prepared to pay...£0, £100, £250....inn my case £0

Came back with cost of £699.98 for 1 year

No option on website to extend beyond 1 extra year.

I did not compare costs for the various other options of cover/mileage/excess.

Also as has been posted before, the list of VW exclusions is very extensive.

I think that the MotorEasy policy does provide me with what I want.

I just want to have a chat with the Service Manager at VW Birmingham Van Centre to get him opinions on MotorEasy, although I have been told that they are registered with MotorEasy and the labour charges are pre agreed and decisions are made over the phone very quickly.

I have 1 month to go.

There is a VW website in UK for the VW Extended Warranty.

Enter registration and mileage....in my case 2017 reg. and 31.8k miles

Select Comprehensive or selective component cover...in my case Comprehensive

Select annual mileage up to 10k, up to 15k, over 15k....inn my case up to 15k

Select excess you are prepared to pay...£0, £100, £250....inn my case £0

Came back with cost of £699.98 for 1 year

No option on website to extend beyond 1 extra year.

I did not compare costs for the various other options of cover/mileage/excess.

Also as has been posted before, the list of VW exclusions is very extensive.

I think that the MotorEasy policy does provide me with what I want.

I just want to have a chat with the Service Manager at VW Birmingham Van Centre to get him opinions on MotorEasy, although I have been told that they are registered with MotorEasy and the labour charges are pre agreed and decisions are made over the phone very quickly.

Hi - did you get any more insights into MotorEasy. I’m in exactly the same situation as you. Weighing up VW warranty for 60 per month or MotorEasy for 45 per month or save the money in case needed each month . On paper the MotorEasy looks better cover but something reassuring about getting it from VW (not sure what but there is!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi - did you get any more insights into MotorEasy. I’m in exactly the same situation as you. Weighing up VW warranty for 60 per month or MotorEasy for 45 per month or save the money in case needed each month . On paper the MotorEasy looks better cover but something reassuring about getting it from VW (not sure what but there is!)

Hello Moore288, yes after much reading I have decided not to cancel the policy with MotorEasy.

The exclusion list for the VW warranty is quite extensive and does not really provide anything over the MotorEasy policy. Also the policy came in at £699.98/year (for 1 year), so quite a bit more.

I did a deal for 39 months with MotorEasy with their PlanA (Comprehensive and best plan) and no excess charges and up to £120/hour labour rates for £1200 as a single payment.

I had them confirm that they have a relationship with the VW Birmingham Van Centre which is where I take my Cali for servicing and MOT.

This means that I will have VW parts used for any repairs.

Also diagnostics included and unlimited claim value....up to value of the vehicle.

I am able to use other garages should anything happen elsewhere.

The negotiated labour rate between VW Birmingham and MotorEasy is £90/hour, so I recon I am covered for any increases in the next 3 years up to the £120/hour figure.

My Cali is on 31.8k miles and I have capped my mileage to 15k/year - which is more than sufficient for us.

Tip:
I got the deal by using the online chat service, and had a chap called John Malley call me back. He is quite a fan of the VW campervan and with 10 years with MotorEasy knows his way around the company and systems. He took all my wants and pulled together the 39 month deal for me. This saved around £200+ on their on-line price.
I'm sure he would not mind you using his name in any communications.
I'm ok if you use my name too.

Last edited:
Just completed the extended warranty process and from being under the impression that it was (VW one) the same option as extended warranty option on purchase or within 3 months period of purchase I rapidly found that it wan't even close to it.

VW offering was very-very restrictive in level of cover and had many exclusions, didn't seem worth the cost.

Looked at other suppliers and settled on Warrantywise for level of cover, can use main dealer, emissions etc etc covered, AA Membership included, if cover follows on from Manufacturer's 3 year warranty high level cover from day one (no delays for qualifying period or inspection for existing faults). £10,000 max for one repair, VW was £2000 (or £2500) with emission system excluded.
They do a rolling monthly scheme which would suit anyone who intends to replace the Cali at some unknown point in time. I've done a 3 year purchase with any remaining cover transferable to the new owner, a good selling point.
Repairs can also be carried out on the European continent if a breakdown occurs whilst on holiday.

My worry is the emission system which many seem to exclude, Warrantywise didn't.

Just my solution which may not suit all.

I had intended to take the VW one at the point of purchase but the dealer said that it wasn't something that they could sell and VWUK would be in contact, I waited and waited and eventually contacted VWCV who wouldn't do it as I'd gone past the 3 month point. Dealer Robinson's Peterborough.

Just completed the extended warranty process and from being under the impression that it was (VW one) the same option as extended warranty option on purchase or within 3 months period of purchase I rapidly found that it wan't even close to it.

VW offering was very-very restrictive in level of cover and had many exclusions, didn't seem worth the cost.

Looked at other suppliers and settled on Warrantywise for level of cover, can use main dealer, emissions etc etc covered, AA Membership included, if cover follows on from Manufacturer's 3 year warranty high level cover from day one (no delays for qualifying period or inspection for existing faults). £10,000 max for one repair, VW was £2000 (or £2500) with emission system excluded.
They do a rolling monthly scheme which would suit anyone who intends to replace the Cali at some unknown point in time. I've done a 3 year purchase with any remaining cover transferable to the new owner, a good selling point.
Repairs can also be carried out on the European continent if a breakdown occurs whilst on holiday.

My worry is the emission system which many seem to exclude, Warrantywise didn't.

Just my solution which may not suit all.

I had intended to take the VW one at the point of purchase but the dealer said that it wasn't something that they could sell and VWUK would be in contact, I waited and waited and eventually contacted VWCV who wouldn't do it as I'd gone past the 3 month point. Dealer Robinson's Peterborough.
Hi BJG, what do you mean by the term 'Emission System' please?

It will also be good to compare costs if you are willing to share please?

Hi BJG, what do you mean by the term 'Emission System' please?

It will also be good to compare costs if you are willing to share please?
Emission system is the Adblue sensors, pumps, injector plus DPF etc. very expensive if problems occur and more likely to get a fault than engine as such in my view.
A family member had a problem with a similarly engined Audi that ran up an approx 8K bill to sort out what started as an 'emission error'.

3 year cost including AA cover £1,600. That's for the top package. It's possible to cover specific parts.
I didn't need the AA cover but included and would simplify any breakdown/repair as they'd have control from the outset.
1 or 2 year cover plus an auto renewing monthly cover is available until such time as the vehicle is sold or you cancel.
Being of a distrusting nature I telephoned to check for ant loop holes but couldn't find any.
Oh! They even covered my Bilstein Air Suspension System which I didn't expect.

Thanks Alan and BJG. Great I for and 2 good options. I’ll look into a bit more and add what I do to the thread.

Emission system is the Adblue sensors, pumps, injector plus DPF etc. very expensive if problems occur and more likely to get a fault than engine as such in my view.
A family member had a problem with a similarly engined Audi that ran up an approx 8K bill to sort out what started as an 'emission error'.

3 year cost including AA cover £1,600. That's for the top package. It's possible to cover specific parts.
I didn't need the AA cover but included and would simplify any breakdown/repair as they'd have control from the outset.
1 or 2 year cover plus an auto renewing monthly cover is available until such time as the vehicle is sold or you cancel.

These components are covered by MotorEasy policy, plus no limit on repair £ or number of claims (up to value of vehicle).

The only real problems I had with mine, apart from the right driving axle, were emission related: EGR valve failure, and a temperature sensor in the DPF.
All systems applied to lower emissions are prone to fail.

I've just grabbed these details from my MotorEasy policy document.

040320 - MotorEasy - What is covered.PNG

040320 - MotorEasy - What is not covered.PNG

Back