Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water laying on top of the rear heater unit

christoff

christoff

BH Orange Army
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have done a search on this, but could not find anything so I was wondering if any other Cali owners have come across this.

I had a tow bar fitted yesterday, and the work involved removing one of the trim panels on the RHS rear that allows you to look down and see the top of the internal heater unit. There was a small pool of water laying on top of the unit which is a little worrying. The garage asked me if I jet washed the van, which I answered no. I have asked the Dealer to have a look when it goes in for an air con service. The van is a 2015 model.

I have done a search on this, but could not find anything so I was wondering if any other Cali owners have come across this.

I had a tow bar fitted yesterday, and the work involved removing one of the trim panels on the RHS rear that allows you to look down and see the top of the internal heater unit. There was a small pool of water laying on top of the unit which is a little worrying. The garage asked me if I jet washed the van, which I answered no. I have asked the Dealer to have a look when it goes in for an air con service. The van is a 2015 model.
Do you have the Climatronic AirCon system? Do you have the AirCon ON?

Hello WelshGas,

I just have the standard heating system, but I do leave the air con on all the time.

I haven't used the overnight heater for a few weeks.

Was it clean water or dirty ...
Could be coming in thru the wheel acres if it is dirty water...

I would say clean water. There is a section of trim that I assume to be covering the side door mechanism. I am wondering if it is getting in behind this. My other theory is running down from one of the awning rail fixings at the top.

Hello WelshGas,

I just have the standard heating system, but I do leave the air con on all the time.

I haven't used the overnight heater for a few weeks.
Ok. If you have the standard system then that means you only have AirCon in the front, and just heating in the back. With Climatronic you also have an AirCon Heat exchanger in the rear to cool the air and I was going to suggest that with the AirCon on the unit in the back would get cold and on a humid day water might condense on it.

Anyway, if your coolant level has not dropped and the water appears clear then it is probably rain water/hose pipe water getting in somehow. Maybe from the central Sliding door runner mechanism?

The awning brackets on a Cali are clamped to the rail and bolted onto the roof frame front and back. So no bolts holes penetrate the van roof.

Alan

Back