Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water Pump keeps running without any tap open

My shower is stoping after 10sec of use. If I move the tap lever to shut the water off, then reopen it, the water is coming again for 10 sec. And so on. Do you think if could be the same kind of issue?

Sadly not resolved. I have a 2021 plate that's doing the same. It's the crappy microswitches in the tap that's the issue. They leak a little bit of water and then corrode sending a false signal to the pump.
Ours is going in tomorrow for the new tap. Will be using it a lot over the next few weeks to see if problem happens again. Will post if it too is 'faulty.'

My shower is stoping after 10sec of use. If I move the tap lever to shut the water off, then reopen it, the water is coming again for 10 sec. And so on. Do you think if could be the same kind of issue?
Hi. I don't know as only had the problem with kitchen tap so far.

Ours is going in tomorrow for the new tap. Will be using it a lot over the next few weeks to see if problem happens again. Will post if it too is 'faulty.'
Would be useful if you had time to post a photo to see if they have made any visible changes.
Will

Would be useful if you had time to post a photo to see if they have made any visible changes.
Will
I'm going to check the specs on this https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/w...s/reich-twist-mixer-tap-matt-nickel-left-hand and if suitable, replace the original with it.
I did ask my VW garage if they could put an alternative in as so many have had this issue (some repeatedly). Said it would invalidate the warranty on the vehicle unless VW authorise and supply an alternative, so getting same tap. Will be giving it an awful lot of use for a while and will post outcome.

I did ask my VW garage if they could put an alternative in as so many have had this issue (some repeatedly). Said it would invalidate the warranty on the vehicle unless VW authorise and supply an alternative, so getting same tap. Will be giving it an awful lot of use for a while and will post outcome.
They like to say this kind of rubbish all the time. They can't shirk their responsibility over the whole vehicle just because of a change of tap.

The new tap unit is identical to the faulty one. My Service Support Girl would not be drawn in to any conversation about the matter! We will see what happens
Thanks for the update Linda.

Hello Linda,
Thanks for the update. It seems disappointing that VW haven't got the issue sorted. I'll keep you posted if I get anything resolved.
Alan
Hi Alan

Did you get yours resolved? We had a new tap fitted last Friday and just spent two nights away and the exact same thing has happened already. I am so upset about it.
Linda

Hi Alan

Did you get yours resolved? We had a new tap fitted last Friday and just spent two nights away and the exact same thing has happened already. I am so upset about it.
Linda
Hello Linda,
If this happens again than the following possible solutions could help:

-close the tap
-disconnect the pump current by removing the second fuse from the left in the electrical cabinet. SJ11, 5Amp
- dry the opening of the tap with a cloth/paper.
or
- use pressurized air spray. As also used to blow out the keyboard of a PC. Spray briefly from below with the tap open, then close the tap again and the pump is now off. Works in normal cases, at least with light moisture. (Input from a German board member)
-wait a while
-put the fuse SJ11 back into place

Avoid moisture
Do not leave wet cloths etc. in the sink.

Bart

Hi Alan

Linda
Unfortunately your experience mirrors what's being reported on the German forum. It's getting quite ridiculous now.

Thanks for the update Linda.

Unfortunately your experience mirrors what's being reported on the German forum. It's getting quite ridiculous now.
It is a new vehicle and it started happening immediately. First day always okay then problems start on day 2 as the sink has had use. This time the pump came on all by itself at 5.50am and woke us up. Ran for 3 hours before tap eventually turned it off. Van rammed with all our gear at back so couldn't get to the fuse box. I have taken videos and given to VW as of course never happens when it goes in because its dry by then.

I know I don't have a GC, but I'm interested in this problem.
The GC has a mixer tap so I presume it supplies hot and cold water automatically?
You don't have to manually switch on the water heater?
If that is the case then the tap must activate the water pump And activate the water heater simultaneously.
Therefore I doubt if the tap is switching directly but instead is switching a relay or signalling the Control Panel software that switches the pump and heater.
What happens if the tap is only used on Cold, no water heater activation?

Hello Linda,
If this happens again than the following possible solutions could help:

-close the tap
-disconnect the pump current by removing the second fuse from the left in the electrical cabinet. SJ11, 5Amp
- dry the opening of the tap with a cloth/paper.
or
- use pressurized air spray. As also used to blow out the keyboard of a PC. Spray briefly from below with the tap open, then close the tap again and the pump is now off. Works in normal cases, at least with light moisture. (Input from a German board member)
-wait a while
-put the fuse SJ11 back into place

Avoid moisture
Do not leave wet cloths etc. in the sink.

Bart
Very good advice Bart, shame we have to go through this with an expensive van, shouldn’t be the case.
Hopefully when yours arrives this will be sorted.

Welshgas, the tap does not activate the water heater. The water heater is a small tank that is preheated by diesel, gas or electric depending on options. Turning the mixer with two feeds hot and cold simply means if the water comes direct from the cold supply tank or via the hot water tank. If you haven’t had the water heater on for a while then you simply get cold water thru on the hot side also. Effectively on activation by the tap hot or cold , it just pumps cold water into the hot or cold circuit and to either side of the tap.

Welshgas, the tap does not activate the water heater. The water heater is a small tank that is preheated by diesel, gas or electric depending on options. Turning the mixer with two feeds hot and cold simply means if the water comes direct from the cold supply tank or via the hot water tank. If you haven’t had the water heater on for a while then you simply get cold water thru on the hot side also. Effectively on activation by the tap hot or cold , it just pumps cold water into the hot or cold circuit and to either side of the tap.
So activating the pump via the tap must, I presume, activate a valve to allow a flow of cold water to the tap, if cold is selected, or cold water to the hot water tank thus displacing hot water to the tap when hot water is selected?
Or is it simpler, whichever side is selected, hot or cold, when the tap is turned On the pump pressurises both circuits but water will only flow from the selected side, hot or cold?

It’s simpler, theres no valve simply starts the pump directed to hot or cold loops as dictated by tap or shower mixer position.

We are having this exact same behavior in our 680.

We are having this exact same behavior in our 680.
could be a software problem , try a reset of the controller:
- Disconnect and then reconnect the blue connector in front of the passenger foot area installed on the right of the dash panel behind the glove compartment.

I joined the kitchen tap club today! Of Course we're in the middle of a trip in our 680. Started intermittently then just stayed on until fuse was pulled.
Not sure if you can just turn up at any dealer or have to book in?
I was saving up all the defects for a warranty visit and wondered if the tap issue would happen.
Guess we either cut our trip short or have to clamber under the bed stretch over the cat litter tray, torch in one hand reaching around the door to temporarily put fuse in everytime we need water!
VW either haven't got a working solution or don't want to do a full recall.
Football's coming home and we might not be far behind.

I joined the kitchen tap club today! Of Course we're in the middle of a trip in our 680. Started intermittently then just stayed on until fuse was pulled.
Not sure if you can just turn up at any dealer or have to book in?
I was saving up all the defects for a warranty visit and wondered if the tap issue would happen.
Guess we either cut our trip short or have to clamber under the bed stretch over the cat litter tray, torch in one hand reaching around the door to temporarily put fuse in everytime we need water!
VW either haven't got a working solution or don't want to do a full recall.
Football's coming home and we might not be far behind.
Just did what was suggested and disconnected the tap via the draw so at least we have the other facilities working now!
Thanks to the contributors for the temporary fix.
Will book in when back.

Back