Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water tank - to fill or not?

newboldi

newboldi

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi - my T6.1 Ocean is in the garage as I was having problems with the water pump/level/control panel. I was getting an error that there was an issue with the 'fill level' and could only be used in an "Emergency operation' mode. The dealer have fixed the issue but, advised that I should never travel with water in the tanks i.e. fill when you arrive and empty before you move on. This doesn't seem logical to me, any thoughts? TIA

Hi - my T6.1 Ocean is in the garage as I was having problems with the water pump/level/control panel. I was getting an error that there was an issue with the 'fill level' and could only be used in an "Emergency operation' mode. The dealer have fixed the issue but, advised that I should never travel with water in the tanks i.e. fill when you arrive and empty before you move on. This doesn't seem logical to me, any thoughts? TIA
The only possible reason not to fill is to reduce weight if you are close to max payload & get minimal improvement in MPG.

Dealer is talking sh&te

Last edited:
On the one hand, if you never use your system, it will never be broken. But what sense is there in having a Cali if you never use it like it’s supposed to be used. Like the others, I fill my tank before a trip and empty both when I get home. It’s not a problem. The dealer’s advice is bonkers. It’s a bit like having an airplane and never flying it because it might break. No need for trophies.

AND when you go out for the day from the campsite!

Chill. You can do what you want :).
I've briefly looked and the Cali manual and it doesn't specifically recommend travelling with an empty fresh water tank. But the purpose of travelling empty would be if you don't need 30kg (30 litres) of weight at that height in the vehicle, it would be safer not to and more economical.
Normally, you can fill up at end of your journey when you arrive so why not just start with a couple of litres for the tea and coffee en route.
If your campsite doesn't have a tap, then good idea to fill up with the full 30l beforehand.
PS: dont forget to protect yourselves by keeping the tank clean and sanitised.

I would suggest to your dealer, with all due deference to a higher being of course, that he is talking a load of twaddle and should at least try camping in the vehicle he is trying to sell.

Assuming there are no issues with payload limitations then travelling with 30k of water sloshing around in a 3000k vehicle is going to make no difference whatsoever.

I've always left home with a full tank. Never a problem.

The only time to empty it is when there's a chance of a hard frost or sub zero temperatures. When its that cold you need to drain it down.

Back