Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Waving..

H

Haves1979

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Bit of but I thought this was a T4 thing, however also get other vw campers waving randomly. Are their any etiquette rules I should know?

Cheers
Chris

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
At least they wave their hand to you. Even if they have just one finger?

Just wave at every California. A lot will wave back to you and give you a smile.

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We always try to wave, the trick is knowing it’s a Cali coming the other way in time!
Once you are able to see the difference between a normal VW T5/6 and a California (i.e. the higher roofline above the front windscreen, and mostly an awning) you can't unsee them. At the back is a little easier as the two "bumps" stick out above the rear window.

ArcticMatt

ArcticMatt

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 Hightop
I give a good over-the-top wave to all. I don't get much response from T5s and above usually but that's their problem

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Peter Roberts

Peter Roberts

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Bikers always Acknowledge each other, Its a universal thing with us. Not sure about VW campervans though, Its normally too late to know if its a van or camper van or California till its gone past..

bxl_lad

bxl_lad

Its not easy being green...
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Always wave, but sadly not so often get a response these days - In my old Landy days waving was nearly always returned...
Do think though that there's a bit of a 'snobbery' (for want of a better word) between the models - T3's and older tend to wave to each other, and maybe to T4's, but doubt to T5+, and vice versa... Seems the T4's rarely wave to anyone from what I've seen...

"Smile and wave fella's, smile and wave" :cool:

Joker 1299

Joker 1299

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Got a wave from an air-cooled Beetle the other day which was nice. Brought back memories of mine.

CaliKate

CaliKate

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I intend to wave like crazy when we’re finally out in ours (less than two weeks away to getting it)! The trick is to not take it personally if people don’t wave back. The way I stop my soul crushing is by making up a story... for example, they didn’t see us... they were having an argument... they’d just lost a dear pet... they are too shy... they’re lost and too busy trying to find their way... :thumb

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

goody goody 2shoes
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I waved yesterday and the miserable people sped past swerving to the edge as they did so without as much of a look :shocked

I slowed down, I was doing 60 mph as they came towards me, waved enthusiastically and was so enthusiastic I waved with the other hand as well!:sad

Peter Roberts

Peter Roberts

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Normally someone frantically waving at you means Plod with a camera is just round the corner....

westfalia

westfalia

Top Poster
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
^ Under section 89 of the Police Act 1997

Its illegal:eek: peter.
I thought you would have known that.

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
In France they just flash you. With the high beams that is (hopefully, unless it's a nice looking lady.... never mind).

The first time someone waved to me was on my very first trip with the Cali. I was searching for a campsite around Agde, and a (if I remember correctly) T3 campervan crossed me, and he smiled and waved/thumbed up to me. I was like: ? Ok. I waved back.