Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

We’ve had the call and a couple of questions!

B

Brightonbelle

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Yesterday we got the call we’ve been waiting for from Eurovans at Crawley! Our new California Ocean has left the factory and is waiting for a ferry to the U.K. Not sure where it’s waiting and I should have asked! So, it’s likely to be one or two weeks away from delivery.
I’m very excited but slightly worried about recent reports about some build quality issues.
May I ask the following questions please:
Which insurance company do you use?
Is it worth having the dealer supplied interior and exterior protection or can anyone recommend anything else in the Sussex area?
Thank you.

Congratulations @Brightonbelle ! that is exciting indeed.

IMHO, all vehicles have some issues or the other. your vehicle will also have issues, but remember to focus on enjoying the van ... and a small niggle here and there should not stop you from enjoying your van. What you don't see are the hundreds of people who do not report any issues (or maybe focus on enjoying the van!)

On insurance, we are with Comfort.

I would prefer an exterior protection from a third party, and a member on here around sussex will be here soon to advise on that.

Enjoy the van and the adventures.

Yesterday we got the call we’ve been waiting for from Eurovans at Crawley! Our new California Ocean has left the factory and is waiting for a ferry to the U.K. Not sure where it’s waiting and I should have asked! So, it’s likely to be one or two weeks away from delivery.
I’m very excited but slightly worried about recent reports about some build quality issues.
Is it worth having the dealer supplied interior and exterior protection or can anyone recommend anything else in the Sussex area?
Thank you.
We used the AIB broker that advertises in the insurance forum. Quote was extremely competitive On a motor home type plan so has extra contents and included cover abroad. Only downside with a broker is that you aren’t dealing direct with the insurer so you dont get an online account to manage your account etc, but no big deal.

They seemed to understand the vehicle and usage without any issues.

Thank you.

The protection pack is an application of various Autoglym products (which are excellent), but could also be carried out by any decent car valet company or DIY!...but if VW price is good then might as well go for it as then you know its been done before you collect the van, rather than messing around afterwards.(you are more likely to knock a cup of tea/drink over when the van is new, as you learn best spots to leave cups etc!)

Also worth fitting seat covers from day 1. (Inka waterproofs are good, cheap & pet / kid / watersports proof).

Our 2012 van had the protection pack and seats are still looking as new when the seat covers are removed.

We use Admiral for insurance on a multicar policy, but its a Beach. Costs £200 incl Business Use (driveway parking, 10K miles per year), but cover for camping aspects is more limited then other more expensive policies.

Last edited:
I use Comfort for insurance, have never made a claim but found the service excellent.

I can't answer protection. The. only time I've protected anything was when I put seat covers on my first Cali but ripped them off on my second trip out and left them off for ever after.

Re protection

VW sub contract the work and get a % so it may be worth checking local Valet Services for a price, might be the same Guys as VW use.

DIY is possible but time needed plus exterior elbow grease. Interior is a must do to prevent staining, even doing again after 'Professional' treatment. Simply spray on process.

Comfort for insurance for us, most people seem happy with their service. They have been dealing with club members for a good few years.
Seat covers, no! Unless you've got really mucky dogs or kids. Save the money to pay for valeting if required, or before selling. Spray with ample Scotchgard Fabric Protection. We just lay a towel on the seat at mealtime for additional peace of mind. Enjoy

Thank you.
I use LV - I'd recommend them.
I wouldn't use the dealer for protection of paint or interior - a cash extraction exercise in my view. Its just a spray on liquid I believe.
I used Azuri for ceramic paint protection and interior 'ceramic' protection whatever that means (but they are in Hertfordshire) and then I fitted seat covers anyway.
The seat cover people suggested I use this spray on protector. I have white leather covers and its been great...if I was you I'd save a lot of money and do it myself.

Insurance = get a few quotes, as with all insurance your circumstances will affect the premium as will the level of perceived cover required and your risk adversity
+1 for LV

dealer applied paint protection / interior protection. -
Google it and make your own mind up,
however in summary, dealers “up sell” to maximise profit margin and hit sales targets.
Rarely would a dealer do as good a job as a reputable dedicated company, (as anyone who has has the free Dealer service wash ) who’s sole business of an indi , rests on their single skill: improve , maintain and protect a vehicles appearance for the owner in return for recommendations and return business,
a dealer only cares about upselling, profit and targets & quite often will offer basic products that anyone can apply and may not be comparable to other products (Despite claims to the contrary).

as I say plenty of info on line for you to digest and make your own informed decision, there will always be differing opinions on these subjects, but ultimately you should do what makes you happy.

Last edited:
Thank you.
Exciting :)
Got ours via Eurovans too. Good service from Victor & Mike.

Your van is probably in Emden and will ship to Sheerness. Possibly on the Malacca Highway which, if you’re sad like me, you can track on Vessel Finder :)

We are with Comfort Insurance - good service and competitive price.

We went with the paint/interior protection and after 18 months the van still looks good, but in all honesty that’s probably due to my regular cleaning/waxing? In retrospect I would probably decline and save the money.

Thanks so much for all your replies. I’ll now do some serious research about insurance. I’ll look into local valet/protection companies for a comparison. I’ll report back on what we decide when we receive our vehicle.
Thanks also for the reassuring comments about snags with the vehicle. I’ve got exacting standards but as long as I know any issues will be sorted out without long delays and having to have the Campervan out of use for a long time then I’ll be fine!

Thanks so much for all your replies. I’ll now do some serious research about insurance. I’ll look into local valet/protection companies for a comparison. I’ll report back on what we decide when we receive our vehicle.
Thanks also for the reassuring comments about snags with the vehicle. I’ve got exacting standards but as long as I know any issues will be sorted out without long delays and having to have the Campervan out of use for a long time then I’ll be fine!
We use Safeguard insurance. Been very good the one time we claimed in 13 years. Prices seem to slowly fall aswell.

I use Comfort
We had the interior and exterior done with Supaguard by dealer and well worth it..(haggled a lot) .especially when spilled red wine over the Alcantara a few weeks later!!!!

We've used LV for insurance. Within 3 weeks (I kid you not) I had to make a claim when someone drove into the back of me - in Crawley coincidentally. I couldn't fault LV one bit - they were friendly, efficient and Daisy was repaired so you'd never know she'd been hurt!

As regards issues, had our Ocean 150 DSG for just over 3 years now and so far only two wee issues. 1) light in the wardrobe wasn’t going off. I taped it to ‘off’ position and the local VW Comm dealership fixed it ( took two mins) 2) The sink tap came off and with help from this forum, I was advised to run it under hot water ( expansion) and then don’t be scared to give it a hit with the mallet ( towel covering tap )… worked a treat.
We’re with Comfort Insurance for last two years, was with LV but threads re insurance ‘pitfalls’ made us wary and change to another ( not that this is still completely clarified in my mind but not a big risk taker).
These are such clever and complex vehicles that there’s always going to be something goes awry but we have been so glad of this forum more as a support in our ‘steep learning curve’ that we now just think “well if it goes wrong or needs fixed, the forums here to help”

Comfort for us. Good deal. But shop around as your circs will be different from others.

Our Cali is insured with NFU as we live in the country, its big advantage is that the agent ( office ) is local and the cover included automatic new for old during the first two years, we have it on a multi vehicle policy. Cost were all very similar.

Thanks so much! I’m blown away with all the helpful and informative replies. We’ve got the LV quote but might go back and ask for further quotes now.
Feeling reassured about the minor nature of any issues.
We bought a Cadaq barbecue today. Looking forward to using that.
Now we need to reread all the many posts about bedding and make a decision!

Thanks so much! I’m blown away with all the helpful and informative replies. We’ve got the LV quote but might go back and ask for further quotes now.
Feeling reassured about the minor nature of any issues.
We bought a Cadaq barbecue today. Looking forward to using that.
Now we need to reread all the many posts about bedding and make a decision!

Bedding ... sleep on it, literally. Take your time over that, it's a mi Enfield of personal preference.

Cadac is an excellent piece of kit.

Still can't offer anything on protection but then I don't have young kids or young dogs anymore :)

(Memo to self Jennifer! You do have young Finley and Henry taking in excited terms about going camping with Granny Jen :shocked ).

Thank you.
Hi
Our van on the same ship
Already docked last week in Sheerness
Collecting from e vans Crawley this Friday
Hooray after one year wait
Good news is price charged is per order
Hope for no problems but all mechanical and electrical things can develop faults
Good Vw warranty

Hi
Our van on the same ship
Already docked last week in Sheerness
Collecting from e vans Crawley this Friday
Hooray after one year wait
Good news is price charged is per order
Hope for no problems but all mechanical and electrical things can develop faults
Good Vw warranty

Hi Geoff
I phoned Eurovans in Crawley today. Our agent is off with Covid and his colleague said our Camper hadn’t arrived yet. Oh well, I’ll just have to try to be patient!

Hi Geoff
I phoned Eurovans in Crawley today. Our agent is off with Covid and his colleague said our Camper hadn’t arrived yet. Oh well, I’ll just have to try to be patient!
So sorry getting your hopes up
Let me know when it arrives
Good luck Geoff

Back