Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What’s the best pressure washer?

Aidy P

Aidy P

Don't play that 'What If?' game, you'll never win!
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Mine has packed up so I’m looking to replace it. Considering these …

Karcher K5
Bosch Aquatak 140
Ryobi RY10PWA

Needs to be good for washing the van and jet washing the drive.

Current model is a Karcher so have accessories, but also annoyed it’s failed me.

I use a Nilfisk from their Excellent range. Had it 10yrs and still works like new.

I used to work for them as a sales manager until they made me redundant, but I still rate their products. They normally have a metal pump in them, whereas the equivalent Karcher would normally be plastic.

Stihl pressure washers are made by Nilfisk, but different models, and sometimes cheaper.

When my Nilfisk broke after many years of service, I got an AVA power washer. Norwegian company but UK distributors. Mine is an Evolution P70 with a 20 year warranty as long as you buy the service kit from them (which is very cheap). It’s worked flawlessly for over a year now with some pretty hard work done. Very happy with it. Good hose and reel supplied too.

We have the K4, it’s fine but would get a K5 if I was buying fresh.

I find the rigid hose on a Karcher a pain, but that’s just me.

The snow foam attachment a must though, buy separate, the K4 housing has no control for the foam housing and just eats it.

What model did you haves
The Karcher K5. It’s been pretty reliable until the pump failed. Have had it for about 5 years. Some of the plastic elements are a bit flimsy and the hose reel is a pain to wind up. Bit of ‘better the devil’ you know as when it worked, the power was excellent.

I use a Nilfisk from their Excellent range. Had it 10yrs and still works like new.

I used to work for them as a sales manager until they made me redundant, but I still rate their products. They normally have a metal pump in them, whereas the equivalent Karcher would normally be plastic.

Stihl pressure washers are made by Nilfisk, but different models, and sometimes cheaper.
Would this Nilfisk be the equivalent model?
I use Stihl garden tools (petrol ones) they’ve been excellent. Will look this up. Thanks.

When my Nilfisk broke after many years of service, I got an AVA power washer. Norwegian company but UK distributors. Mine is an Evolution P70 with a 20 year warranty as long as you buy the service kit from them (which is very cheap). It’s worked flawlessly for over a year now with some pretty hard work done. Very happy with it. Good hose and reel supplied too.
Couldn’t find the P70 on Amazon but they have the AVA P80 pressure washer does this look the same as yours @scottk ?

I use Stihl garden tools (petrol ones) they’ve been excellent. Will look this up. Thanks.

I use Stihl garden tools the electric AP range. Absolutely brilliant kit, might even invest in the mower next. Especially as a typical mower service is now £200 :headbang

Similar - I think that’s the newer model of mine. Mine is this one:

Link

Another brand to consider, depending on your budget, is Kranzle excellent quality kit made in Germany.

I have opened the Pandoras Box of pressure washers now!!! Are petrol power washers more powerful? I’ve always had electric and access to power isn’t an issue. Also cleaner and you don’t run out of fuel?!

got this petrol power washer 1714990883988.jpega few years ago from aldi online. It’s bloody brilliant…

1714990883988.jpeg

got this petrol power washer View attachment 122945a few years ago from aldi online. It’s bloody brilliant…

View attachment 122945
I had a souped up one of these from DeWalt. It had a Honda OHC engine and an updraded CAT pump. That was brilliant until some Scrot burgled my house and made off with it along with a bunch of other stuff that they could fence through a Pawn shop to fund their dubious lifestyle.
Was useful for pressure washing concrete, house siding and pavers.... besides vehicles.

I’ve had several Karcher & Bosch and have come to the conclusion all consumer-level models fail after a few years, so I don’t spend too much money & stay with the same brand to accumulate accessories.

I’ve had several Karcher & Bosch and have come to the conclusion all consumer-level models fail after a few years, so I don’t spend too much money & stay with the same brand to accumulate accessories.
Likewise, I've been through several and now treat them as effectively disposable. The latest one I bought is the K2 Horizontal, which I really like. It's really tiny so good for storage, and works just as well as the bigger ones in my opinion. Hose is a little short but at some point I will try it with a longer one that came of one of my deceased units. I put the pressure control lance from my last one on instead of the standard single pressure one and it works just fine.

My previous previous one was a Bosch Aquatak which was good but the attachments are not compatible with Karcher stuff and I really wanted to get the Autoglym snow foam nozzle (which is amazing by the way!!) so I sold it, probably the only one that didn't end up at the tip. My previous one was a K2 (normal type) which I turned on while still frozen inside - oops!

You do not need a really powerful pressure washer to clean a car in my opinion.

I use Stihl garden tools the electric AP range. Absolutely brilliant kit, might even invest in the mower next. Especially as a typical mower service is now £200 :headbang
+1 for Stihl; I have their lawn edge trimmer and pressure washer - both excellent.

Karcher K5
Bosch Aquatak 140
Ryobi RY10PWA

Current model is a Karcher so have accessories, but also annoyed it’s failed me.
After having various Karchers and a few Nilfisk pressure washers over the years, I would thoroughly recommend the German made Kranzle pressure washers.
They are built to last several lifetimes with a little maintenance and have brass cast pumps. Also parts are available if you need them.

They have various models depending on your needs, but they are quite expensive.
You can also get third party guns or adapters that will fit your karcher kit if you need to use it.

If you Google or look at reviews on YouTube, most car detailers use them as they are so reliable.

As Pegsinho mentioned, you don't need loads of pressure to wash a car, unless you are doing serious off roading in muddy conditions.
Snow foam or All purpose cleaner are designed to breakdown and release/lift the dirt off the paintwork to reduce the chance of swirled paint and scratches during the contact wash, so I personally wouldn't be too bothered by how many bars of pressure the washer has.

Last edited:
Very disappointed with Karcher, even repaired one and new pump failed. Nilfisk has been trouble free for 4 years.

I have opened the Pandoras Box of pressure washers now!!! Are petrol power washers more powerful? I’ve always had electric and access to power isn’t an issue. Also cleaner and you don’t run out of fuel?!
Another thing to look at is flow. Kranzel do 2 cage models, don't quite me me but I think the K7 is 7 litres/minutes and the K10 is 10. The higher volume at a similar pressure will be better at cleaning. Especially when doing things like the patio. Be careful though, you need a good hose supply pressure or you can slowly damage the pump if under supplied. Think some of the Kranzles can suck water in from a tank if your water pressure and flow are two low to supply the pump.

If you get the correct nozzles and don't use turbo lances (rotary pencil jet) or variable jets set on pencil. It's difficult to damage car paintwork. Still good to have them for the patio though.

Karcher K5
Bosch Aquatak 140
Ryobi RY10PWA

Do with it what you wish, but... I have done extensive research into power washers when I moved to my new house, where I could finally wash my Cali myself and clean out the roof gutters and I woudl recommend the Nilfisk Core 150 Power Control. I read several reviews that claimed it was way better and better value for money then the Karcher machines and I must say I love it. It's great. Also, get a powerfull one. 150 is the way to go. Anything less will leave you disappointed if you are used to car wash's that have power washers. Especially if you plan to do other chores with it then washing your car. If you do use it on your Cali (or any other car you hold dear), make sure you don't use the highest setting from to close to the van or you risk damaging the paint.

I used to have a cheap £100 Nilfisk and when it started pulsing, I bought a Kranzle. It’s fixed in a shed with a hose reel.

Back