Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What essential accessories have you since ditched overboard?

I also had to remove the fuel angel from my T6 as it impeded filling too much on some, but not all, pumps.
Never had one of those but when overseas I've generally found a quick sniff of the pump nozzle before putting it in clears up any lingering doubts about what's in the pump.

:agreed

This was always the worst part of tent camping.
Mrs drpps didn’t like things packed until everything checked off. An hour later, after getting the packing go ahead, and while admiring success with the boot Tetris, the extra bags would appear. Fortunately she didn’t mind a pile of stuff rolling around her feet so the reward was a full passenger footwell.
The Cali has reduced that stress as I can always slide the seat forward a few more inches to cram in the last minute bags (“but you know I always take my tumble dryer/lawnrake/penny farthing”) but still grrr:rolleyes:
I've never understood that passenger foot well thing. How anyone can sit there with no room for their legs beats me. Ours is usually stuffed with bags of "useful" stuff.

It's not as if any of it is actually needed either. We have everything we need permanently stowed. Unlike me, Mrs B has never been able sit still without something to do whereas I've got doing bugger all down to fine art. :thumb

Last edited:
We still take wine to France. Every year for 12 years. I mean that’s like taking croissants to France.
Not this year of course.
Maybe we should take rock to Dorset.

Whilst I wouldn't want to leave Mrs B behind, I'd gladly throw over board the many supermarket bags full of assorted unnecessary guano that she presents me with after I've just got the van ready for a trip. Then when we are away "we'll" end up collecting even more bags of stuff. As a quartermaster she's second to none but I have learned to hate the inclusion of the those last minute bags of joy.

It's not uncommon to be driving along with balls of wool rolling round my feet creating a sort of cats cradle effect........ which is delightful. :headbang
Mine’s the same. Also, if she doesn’t quite know where something non-essential should live, it usually ends up on the worktops or the floor :headbang

We are considering a fourth (yes a fourth) table.

1. Sliding door picnic table for Clare and me.
2. Cheap folding table for the boys which I bought in a Minehead hardware shop ~20 years ago.
3. Table made from Muji drawers and a 1.5m x 44cm plywood top as kitchen worktop.
4. A new 1.5m x 1.0m plywood top to fit on the sliding door table.

#4 would go on #1 and we’d get rid of #2 so in effect we’d reduce to two tables.
I gleefully anticipate my own Jimmyfamily table extension to be eclipsed by your version 6.1. I’m contemplating a smaller version, for day-tripping/weekender set-up (bench further back). Or are you planning an alternative stowage location?

I gleefully anticipate my own Jimmyfamily table extension to be eclipsed by your version 6.1. I’m contemplating a smaller version, for day-tripping/weekender set-up (bench further back). Or are you planning an alternative stowage location?

You were the inspiration.

But this is what I was thinking.

2 x 1.5 by 1.0m bits of 9mm plywood.

1 piece with a sliding door table top shaped bit cut from the middle.

The two pieces stuck together.

The enlarged table top stowed the multiflex and our multiflex extension shown below.

IMG_2083.JPG

The enlarged table top stowed the multiflex and our multiflex extension shown below.

View attachment 80552

I’m a bit concerned about weight. It might be worth looking at 6mm ply for cut-out and 9mm or 6mm ply for top surface. I don’t have time to look properly (to compare dimensions etc) at the moment but note that my original piece of 18mm plywood was too heavy (after routing but before trimming):

Much too big & heavy”
EC310D56-1772-4195-A83A-ECCAAA420484.jpeg

I’m a bit concerned about weight. It might be worth looking at 6mm ply for cut-out and 9mm or 6mm ply for top surface. I don’t have time to look properly (to compare dimensions etc) at the moment but note that my original piece of 18mm plywood was too heavy (after routing but before trimming):

Much too big & heavy”
EC310D56-1772-4195-A83A-ECCAAA420484.jpeg

Maybe I’ll get one of these:
9182e14aca91e9862d49fecb3ec9a09a.jpg

It packs to 92x75x8cm.

We've got one of those (just for general as-and-when use, not for our Cali). They are good but not that light.

View attachment 80552

Yes, I think 1500x1000x19mm will be heavy on the VW sliding door table. This was my experience when I tried this 1220x1500x18mm piece. The VW table-legs splayed worryingly and the feet slid outward slightly, across the slate floor. Luckily, reducing the size reduced the weight dramatically, as it was full-thickness portions being discarded.

Maybe I’ll get one of these:
9182e14aca91e9862d49fecb3ec9a09a.jpg

It packs to 92x75x8cm.
Nooooo!
If it doesn’t involve three or more power-tools and occupational health hazards, it’s not worth considering!

Go with 9mm+6mm ply, bonded. And I expect a hand-carved VW symbol on it (not the new one though).

So what accessories that you thought you couldn't do without, are now rarely if ever taken on trips away and why? We all have them gathering dust at the back of a cupboard or in the garage, so here's your opportunity to fess up.

Here's just a few of our personal collection to start the ball rolling:

1. Levelling ramps - They take up too much room and we've rarely needed them.
2. Thermal windscreen cover - We use the curtains that came with the van. They are quick and easy to use and don't need drying off after use.
3. Drive away awning - Rarely taken with us as it detracts from the spontaneous self contained Cali life style and TBH it's a pain in the @r$e.
4. Topper - Only used it once or twice and found it too much of a faff to fit. Now use a Cali Wrap when required.
5. That tin and wire gadget that you sit on top of the gas burner to toast bread. - It doesn't!

I could go on but I won't. :thumb

Great thread and so helpful for us relative newbies!! I started something similar in another part of the forum before I spotted this. So good.

For us?
Vegetable steamer. It’s tiny and clever and we still store it in the van but we’ve never used it. Always opt for dirty food instead! Haha.

But that’s about it. We use everything else. Even my crazy side panels and front panel for the awning. And the wraparound pop top cover in winter. The screen cover all the time. Although we are starting to leave those more at home, as we get more used to the experience and wanting to be more mobile and quick to pack away!!

Great thread and so helpful for us relative newbies!! I started something similar in another part of the forum before I spotted this. So good.

For us?
Vegetable steamer. It’s tiny and clever and we still store it in the van but we’ve never used it. Always opt for dirty food instead! Haha.

But that’s about it. We use everything else. Even my crazy side panels and front panel for the awning. And the wraparound pop top cover in winter. The screen cover all the time. Although we are starting to leave those more at home, as we get more used to the experience and wanting to be more mobile and quick to pack away!!
If it's only a steamer it sounds like you have things about right.

I find the whole stowage thing requires constant review. Every trip is different so may require slightly different stowage, e.g I rarely ever take levelling ramps but there is one campsite that we frequent where they are essential. Another example would be the cooking method. If we are meeting friends we may take our Cobb cooker or large Cadac. It would depend on the menu.

If it's only a steamer it sounds like you have things about right.

I find the whole stowage thing requires constant review. Every trip is different so may require slightly different stowage, e.g I rarely ever take levelling ramps but there is one campsite that we frequent where they are essential. Another example would be the cooking method. If we are meeting friends we may take our Cobb cooker or large Cadac. It would depend on the menu.
That’s reassuring and good to know! Thank you. It all depends on whether it’s winter or summer; a set up and stay put type of break or a go out and explore… I have never gone beyond weekend trips though. Our longest planned trip is this September, in Cornwall! Two weeks! So it’ll require clever packing and minimal stuff. So excited!

This forum has been invaluable!

View attachment 80552
What if you glued a few layers of corrugated cardboard together to make the table top?

That’s reassuring and good to know! Thank you. It all depends on whether it’s winter or summer; a set up and stay put type of break or a go out and explore… I have never gone beyond weekend trips though. Our longest planned trip is this September, in Cornwall! Two weeks! So it’ll require clever packing and minimal stuff. So excited!

This forum has been invaluable!
If we were staying in one place for two weeks we'd probably employ a different strategy. We'd take our blow up awning and whole lot of other creature comforts as well. If you are driving from home to the place you are staying without any overnight stops you can afford to pile it all in the back and go. It's not quite so easy if you have passengers though. We have a small trailer for those occasions.

If we were staying in one place for two weeks we'd probably employ a different strategy. We'd take our blow up awning and whole lot of other creature comforts as well. If you are driving from home to the place you are staying without any overnight stops you can afford to pile it all in the back and go. It's not quite so easy if you have passengers though. We have a small trailer for those occasions.
I can’t wait to get away for a much longer break! Was it you who got us into the S2S mattress Boris? Your name keeps popping up. You’ve been helpful many times

I can’t wait to get away for a much longer break! Was it you who got us into the S2S mattress Boris? Your name keeps popping up. You’ve been helpful many times
No I'm afraid not. I've not heard of that mattress.

We've recently had a five day break away and the weather was glorious. However, even if it isn't your always comfortable in a Cali. :thumb

So what accessories that you thought you couldn't do without, are now rarely if ever taken on trips away and why? We all have them gathering dust at the back of a cupboard or in the garage, so here's your opportunity to fess up.

Here's just a few of our personal collection to start the ball rolling:

1. Levelling ramps - They take up too much room and we've rarely needed them.
2. Thermal windscreen cover - We use the curtains that came with the van. They are quick and easy to use and don't need drying off after use.
3. Drive away awning - Rarely taken with us as it detracts from the spontaneous self contained Cali life style and TBH it's a pain in the @r$e.
4. Topper - Only used it once or twice and found it too much of a faff to fit. Now use a Cali Wrap when required.
5. That tin and wire gadget that you sit on top of the gas burner to toast bread. - It doesn't!

I could go on but I won't. :thumb
I recently bought one of those toaster things as an experiment as we were camping without EHU - it was just about acceptable.

Camped recently and needed the leveling ramps. I agree they take up space but when you need them, they are very useful.

I recently bought one of those toaster things as an experiment as we were camping without EHU - it was just about acceptable.

Camped recently and needed the leveling ramps. I agree they take up space but when you need them, they are very useful.

Hello! You've intrigued me with your springy wires set up. How does that work? Do you have a link you can share? ... One month till our beach arrives and enjoying all the planning in anticipation
...we still use the side ones but for the front now just a cheap-and-cheerful internal sun blind that holds itself in place on springy wires and folds up in about 3 secs.

Tell me and show me a pic, if are able. Sounds interesting.

Back