Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you bought for your Cali today :-)

Dottie

Dottie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
If you want to spend a bit more money (£110) Go for the Roberts Stream 94i. See pic below. FM/DAB/Internet Radio/Bluetooth player/Remote controller. Fantastic sound quality plus many other features. Battery pack sold separately. Something you can enjoy at home too. We use it in the Cali with the Bluetooth player, which gives a really good sound quality without using the starter battery. And no I’m not connected with Roberts.
I initially wondered why you wouldn’t just use the van radio....but I take it that could use the starter battery and you might go flat?
If this is the case, then why wouldn't you use your phone with Tuneinradio and a beats pill, or similar?
I spent ages yesterday trying to get my phone and iPad to pair so that I could listen to the audio book I had on my ipad with my beats pill when I discovered my iphone was new and didnt have the same connection. The answer was to buy an adaptor....and then I remembered I have recently got a new contract with unlimited data....fab! So I created a hotspot and I’m sorted! However, having a dab radio presumably fixes it better if abroad?

(my first outing this year...and I got a shoutout from a DJ friend when I finally got connected, in time for his local radio show...I love internet radio and feeling close to friends and to places I’ve spent many a holiday in)

Jodalo

Jodalo

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I initially wondered why you wouldn’t just use the van radio....but I take it that could use the starter battery and you might go flat?
If this is the case, then why wouldn't you use your phone with Tuneinradio and a beats pill, or similar?
I spent ages yesterday trying to get my phone and iPad to pair so that I could listen to the audio book I had on my ipad with my beats pill when I discovered my iphone was new and didnt have the same connection. The answer was to buy an adaptor....and then I remembered I have recently got a new contract with unlimited data....fab! So I created a hotspot and I’m sorted! However, having a dab radio presumably fixes it better if abroad?

(my first outing this year...and I got a shoutout from a DJ friend when I finally got connected, in time for his local radio show...I love internet radio and feeling close to friends and to places I’ve spent many a holiday in)
Appreciate what you are saying about iPhone/remote speaker which is fine but we are used to the Roberts radio which we use at home. Space is not an issue with us and we love the excellent sound quality. Also we are radio nuts and listen to it most of the time leaving our phones/iPads free for other things. And you are correct re van radio draining the starter battery. There have been lots of threads about linking the Cali radio to the leisure batteries but I believe there are issues with doing that.

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Googling new items for my van and came across this website...
https://campingsecrets.co.uk/great-gadgets-for-new-vw-california-owners/
Some good gadget suggestions.
I would totally disagree with the Remoska being on the list. As an alternative cooker it's fabulous and I have the grand version now at home in the kitchen (previously had the regualr size too).

The element is in the lid and of course it gets incredibly hot (as does the base pan that it sits on). So all incredibly hot (albeit on a stand but underneath gets stonking hot too so I suggest a board underneath). When you've finished cooking the hot lid comes off and has to be left to cool. I know some people do take these camping but if you're clumsy, a disorganised cook or have kids or dogs, it's a distater waiting to happen if you use it inside the van. If on the other hand you use one successfully it'll work like an oven so you can bake/roast anything that'll fit (the baked spuds and toad in the hole come out particularly well).

Karlos

Karlos

VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
I would totally disagree with the Remoska being on the list. As an alternative cooker it's fabulous and I have the grand version now at home in the kitchen (previously had the regualr size too).

The element is in the lid and of course it gets incredibly hot (as does the base pan that it sits on). So all incredibly hot (albeit on a stand but underneath gets stonking hot too so I suggest a board underneath). When you've finished cooking the hot lid comes off and has to be left to cool. I know some people do take these camping but if you're clumsy, a disorganised cook or have kids or dogs, it's a distater waiting to happen if you use it inside the van. If on the other hand you use one successfully it'll work like an oven so you can bake/roast anything that'll fit (the baked spuds and toad in the hole come out particularly well).
What about sitting it on a board under the awning, would that work Elly?

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
What about sitting it on a board under the awning, would that work Elly?
Anywhere where you have space is fine. I think it’s very “clunky” and Would take up valuable space. The lid has a glass circle (which is great for viewing your food) but if it breaks the whole lid unit, including the handle and electrics, has to be replaced. Obviously, you need electric to use it. The small one is 400 watts and I don’t know enough about that to know if you could run it in the van without being on EHU.

Don’t get me wrong, this is a fantastic bit of kit and we use ours regularly at home, just not for the confined space of the van. I’m sure they’ll be some who disagree. It will be interesting to read what others think, either way.

If you want to bake or roast I think the Omnia oven would be a better option as you use it on a hob, or over other heat sources, and it’s lightweight and small for packing/travelling. Although I’ve just researched and disregarded that idea For inside the van as I don’t want something sat on the gas hob for 30/40 minutes or more.

For me, I’ll just stick to my Cobb and cook outdoors, used in conjunction with my kellie kettle and Trangia spirit burner (The Cobb becomes the base for them) it gives me lots of options and they earn their place in the van due to their versatility.

Elmo3

Elmo3

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
A 3 ton trolley jack from SGS, so I can ‘safely‘ fit the new wheels to Elmo. Currently on offer at £69.99.

Aidy P

Aidy P

Don't play that 'What If?' game, you'll never win!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I quite like the idea of a mini projector for winter camping with the kids. I’d like one that I could connect wirelessly to my iPhone. Apple are rather annoying that it seems to restrict screen mirroring on lots of devices. I’d rather not have to take a laptop with me.
I know you’d rather go wire less, Andy, but you’d have more options with a hdmi connection.

Dottie

Dottie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Anywhere where you have space is fine. I think it’s very “clunky” and Would take up valuable space. The lid has a glass circle (which is great for viewing your food) but if it breaks the whole lid unit, including the handle and electrics, has to be replaced. Obviously, you need electric to use it. The small one is 400 watts and I don’t know enough about that to know if you could run it in the van without being on EHU.

Don’t get me wrong, this is a fantastic bit of kit and we use ours regularly at home, just not for the confined space of the van. I’m sure they’ll be some who disagree. It will be interesting to read what others think, either way.

If you want to bake or roast I think the Omnia oven would be a better option as you use it on a hob, or over other heat sources, and it’s lightweight and small for packing/travelling. Although I’ve just researched and disregarded that idea For inside the van as I don’t want something sat on the gas hob for 30/40 minutes or more.

For me, I’ll just stick to my Cobb and cook outdoors, used in conjunction with my kellie kettle and Trangia spirit burner (The Cobb becomes the base for them) it gives me lots of options and they earn their place in the van due to their versatility.
I got a Remoska at Christmas and took it away this week to try.
I made a delicious red Thai curry whoch was to last more than one night so I put it in my shelter overnight....very stupidly, I hadn’t used rock pegs despite gale force winds being forecast....I woke to find the shelter upturned with the contents of the remoska no longer in the remoska! I headed home by which time, I’d had enough of the smell of red Thai curry! I’m not sure if the shelter will see another trip!
however, the curry was delicious and it was fun to cook, and eat!

its a bulky bit of kit and needs a hookup.

Has anyone tried thermal cooking?

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I got a Remoska at Christmas and took it away this week to try.
I made a delicious red Thai curry whoch was to last more than one night so I put it in my shelter overnight....very stupidly, I hadn’t used rock pegs despite gale force winds being forecast....I woke to find the shelter upturned with the contents of the remoska no longer in the remoska! I headed home by which time, I’d had enough of the smell of red Thai curry! I’m not sure if the shelter will see another trip!
however, the curry was delicious and it was fun to cook, and eat!

its a bulky bit of kit and needs a hookup.

Has anyone tried thermal cooking?
Yes but only started at home and then transported in the van and eaten. There will be posts in the thread “cooking in your Cali”. A member called @Borris has one, I’m sure.