Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you bought for your Cali today :-)

Installed the UK map on the picnic table and then went for a walk up Combe Hill - beautiful today with frozen fog on the branches.
Love the map, can I ask where you got the shoe storage by the door from

Bought the S2S campervan mattress today. You people raved about it so much, that I couldn't even consider buying a different one.
Sea_to_Summit_Comfort_Deluxe_Selbstaufblasende_Matte_Camper_Van_indigo[1920x1920].jpg

Plenty of EV charging points round here. Could I pay to use one of those?
I don't think they are designed to charge a 12v Leisure Battery. EV batteries charge at a much higher voltage. More likely to come back to a melted California.

This might just answer the question I’ve been meaning to ask. I have a 6.1 Ocean being delivered in April and live in a block of flats with a basement car park and no electric charging point. This forum has alerted me to the need to plug the van in at least monthly to keep the leisure battery tip top, and to allow the fridge to be switched on 24 hours before departure. Will this enable that?
If so, the question is: how do I ‘plug the van in’ and lock the CTEC inside the van to stop toe rags meddling...?
Hi 66tim99,
Just a thought. Your basement carpark must have power for barrier/door; maintenance work; lights; etc. Is there a possibility that you could have a metered spur installed with a lockable 240v socket?

I wouldn’t worry to much if you’re going to be using the vehicle loads. Just pay for a electric hook up once every month or two.
I just wonder where...I’m in central London. Who knows how often I’ll (be able to) use it. I
Might need to set a reminder to plug in if I haven’t used it...but where to charge?

Hi 66tim99,
Just a thought. Your basement carpark must have power for barrier/door; maintenance work; lights; etc. Is there a possibility that you could have a metered spur installed with a lockable 240v socket?
It’s a good thought Mike but there are complications. If I owned the space it might be simpler, but I have talked nicely to the building manager and he is kindly letting me use an unallocated space free of charge. Coupled with this, though there is certainly lighting and electric access doors I haven’t seen any sockets down there (private or otherwise), so I’d be blazing a no doubt complicated trail to get a metered supply.
I wonder if anyone knows if you can plus California’s into public EV charging points?

I wouldn’t worry to much if you’re going to be using the vehicle loads. Just pay for a electric hook up once every month or two.
and install solar, most of the year especially down south in London the van just standing outside while in use will maintain the batteries. I get even with just the 120W panel about 5 - 15 watts from the panel up here in the west coast of Scotland on a poor day.

and install solar, most of the year especially down south in London the van just standing outside while in use will maintain the batteries. I get even with just the 120W panel about 5 - 15 watts from the panel up here in the west coast of Scotland on a poor day.
Thanks Phillip, I may well opt for solar as plan to camp off grid occasionally. But when parked at home the van will be in a basement so solar will be useless (unless it can feed off electric light?!)

It’s a good thought Mike but there are complications. If I owned the space it might be simpler, but I have talked nicely to the building manager and he is kindly letting me use an unallocated space free of charge. Coupled with this, though there is certainly lighting and electric access doors I haven’t seen any sockets down there (private or otherwise), so I’d be blazing a no doubt complicated trail to get a metered supply.
I wonder if anyone knows if you can plus California’s into public EV charging points?
As WG said previously EV charging points are unlikely to be suitable (different sockets anyway)

Honda EU10i generator.
Thanks. Good but expensive option. I wonder about emissions/air quality in an enclosed garage, and how long I’d need to be with it, as I don’t know how I’d secure it in a communal garage...

Thanks. Good but expensive option. I wonder about emissions/air quality in an enclosed garage, and how long I’d need to be with it, as I don’t know how I’d secure it in a communal garage...
I never charge mine on hookup. On the T6 you can force the alternator into high output by turning on a high electrical load like a heated seat or headlights, thus overrides the blue motion and allies the batteries to fully charge while driving. I have solar and a generator too. It’s not mandatory to plug in, it just extends the life of the batteries.

As WG said previously EV charging points are unlikely to be suitable (different sockets anyway)
Sorry I’d missed that.
So it would seem that I’m looking for a battery I can charge in my flat to plug into the van to charge its leisure battery... but I’d ideally plug it inside the van so I could lock it in and leave it...

I never charge mine on hookup. On the T6 you can force the alternator into high output by turning on a high electrical load like a heated seat or headlights, thus overrides the blue motion and allies the batteries to fully charge while driving. I have solar and a generator too. It’s not mandatory to plug in, it just extends the life of the batteries.
Why don’t you charge on hookup?
Sounds like it might not be worth me worrying too much about plugging in. Charge whilst driving and on hook up and then replace the battery when necessary?

Why don’t you charge on hookup?
Sounds like it might not be worth me worrying too much about plugging in. Charge whilst driving and on hook up and then replace the battery when necessary?
I live in my van and free camp permanently. I just have to remember to make sure the blue motion override is active (headlight on) every time I drive it.

Sorry I’d missed that.
So it would seem that I’m looking for a battery I can charge in my flat to plug into the van to charge its leisure battery... but I’d ideally plug it inside the van so I could lock it in and leave it...
I wouldn’t bother, with say once a week use of the van & using the new boost charge function occasionally your batteries should still last for years. Mine are abused & rarely plugged in to charge in the summer, I do plug in more in winter as I use the parking heater to defrost. They’ve done 6 1/2 years so far.
You would be better off setting aside whatever you are thinking of spending now & use it towards replacement batteries in 8 years time.

A pair of new leisure batteries out of warranty costs £320.

I wouldn’t bother, with say once a week use of the van & using the new boost charge function occasionally your batteries should still last for years. Mine are abused & rarely plugged in to charge in the summer, I do plug in more in winter as I use the parking heater to defrost. They’ve done 6 1/2 years so far.
You would be better off setting aside whatever you are thinking of spending now & use it towards replacement batteries in 8 years time.
Thanks. I think I’ll drive and plug in when I can and see how the batteries fare.
What is the new boost charge function?

Bought the S2S campervan mattress today. You people raved about it so much, that I couldn't even consider buying a different one.
Sea_to_Summit_Comfort_Deluxe_Selbstaufblasende_Matte_Camper_Van_indigo[1920x1920].jpg
Hi is this much better than the VW comfort mattress. I’m about to trade in my 2017 ocean for a new one and never considered an alternative mattress. Would appreciate your (much more) educated views on this. Cheers.

All the best

If you read through the thread below, or any of teh other threads that mention the S2S matress, you'll be absolutely convinced. Seems a lot of people on these forums feel this is the best and most comfortable matress that beats all others.

I do the same if an early defrost is required with remote parking heater start from bed, also try to start the parking heater 5 minutes before parking up. both of these reduce the high load on the batteries on parking heater start up thus extending the life of the batteries.

also try to start the parking heater 5 minutes before parking up... reduce the high load on the batteries on parking heater start up thus extending the life of the batteries.
In the morning I preheat the engine and cabin with the programable coolant heater factory upgrade, but when arriving at where I'm going to park I turn on the parking air heater 5 min before turning off the engine for the same reason, since my Beach has only one leisure battery. My new year's Pyrenees camping trip with mountain ascent with skis was a huge success due to ideal snow conditions. With current circumstances, I booked a campground in Esterri d'Aneu. Prices, 18 euros/night w/o hookup, 43 euros with. Booked without.

I've been meaning to order a solar system from @Roger Donoghue , but didn't get to it before the new year, so now will be waiting for clarity about fees for shipping to EU. If I am not mistaken, Roger's solar panels are manufactured in China, and the Victron charge controller that I want to order from him as part of the package is manufactured in the Netherlands, and therefore neither qualify for customs free reshipping from UK to EU, but I will be very happy to be shown that this is not the case!

6F505328-9453-492E-9C7E-D430FFFD4BF4.jpeg52661894-F217-4A5D-AEE0-54F5FE0A1A56.jpeg

Last edited:
Well actually for free and I have to do/cut it first however "bulli hackers" offer a plan for a shoeshelf next to the passenger seat. Great idea and look forward to it!

Hi,
Do you have a direct link to this template as for some reason, I'm unable to find it?

Much appreciated.

Back