Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you bought for your Cali today :-)

To try and safeguard others I have informed the supplier so they may become slightly more expert than they claim now. You trust suppliers until they let you down. I hate hassle, I hate complaining about a complaint even more !

To try and safeguard others I have informed the supplier so they may become slightly more expert than they claim now. You trust suppliers until they let you down. I hate hassle, I hate complaining about a complaint even more !
So what size did he try selling you

235/55 r17. Total thickness was 25 cm. there is only 23 cm of space in the wheel well. The side walls of the tyre were bulbous, added too much to the set up. I took the opportunity to do a dry run wheel change in the garage to test everything jack, security nut driver etc One observation and recommendation I would make is that if on soft ground the jack could sink so a flat panel of material would be an idea to carry. Perhaps the cutting board out of the van’s kitchen polypropylene I think

235 55 17 fit in a t5 & t6 as I use to have one in mine. There is two settings on craddle. Don’t know if a t6.1 is different though.
I now carry BFG 245 65 17 with a bit less psi in it to fit.
Also i wouldn’t use that little scissor Jack very unstable, I carry bottle Jack and use a chock under puncher wheel so Jack fits.
Best is to use free breakdown cover with insurance though (unless no phone signal in the middle of nowhere what’s happened to me!).

Yep, t’was a 235/55R17 spare in my T6 rack too. That was the size that came as standard with 204/199 Ocean’s and it fitted ok. I know the 6.1 comes with 215/60 now as standard (I presume for a slight consumption gain) but the 235/55 is still available as an option with the all season tyre; would be pretty disappointing if it didn’t fit in the rack. The 18’s never have and if fitted from factory don’t come with a spare or rack fitted.

Like the protective cover ! I have the required lock bolt coming tomorrow.

The rack I had to buy , Kernowboy you are correct Bouught from a conversion company that places wheel chair access into new vans. They cut out the carrier and sell on.

Will get the bolts greased

prize for best suggestion from anyone of a suitable ready made bag that will fit over the spare under the van

Like the protective cover ! I have the required lock bolt coming tomorrow.
Great idea on using a lock bolt. May I ask where you sourced it? Also I hear the locking wheel nuts are like butter. Is this the case does anyone know?

£15.95 eBay get the long one wheel locking nuts no problem so far. All my wheels have been off once as my van got lowered

Great idea on using a lock bolt. May I ask where you sourced it? Also I hear the locking wheel nuts are like butter. Is this the case does anyone know?
Yes. My advice would be get rid of the locking wheel bolts on your wheels!
Had an issue with one of mine and got rid of them. Cali was less than a year old.

£15.95 eBay get the long one wheel locking nuts no problem so far. All my wheels have been off once as my van got lowered
Sorry 2nd question. I can't find a 6.1 compatible bolt, I see you have a 6.1, did a T6 version fit?

Just a locking bolt doesn't do much on a spare wheel as the bolt is gripable with a set of mole grips as the head is exposed. Thats why the spare safe is recommended as it hides the bolt.spare-safe-close-up2-1.jpg

Yes. My advice would be get rid of the locking wheel bolts on your wheels!
Had an issue with one of mine and got rid of them. Cali was less than a year old.

If you have the black plastic caps over the top of your wheel bolts, no-one will know whether or not you have locking wheel nuts or not until they are actually nicking the wheels.

Just a locking bolt doesn't do much on a spare wheel as the bolt is gripable with a set of mole grips as the head is exposed. Thats why the spare safe is recommended as it hides the bolt.View attachment 74602
I have been advised to get one of these several times since joinig the board. I also notice every new member is advised to get one. Having searched the board I can only see 1 post in the last 6 years that someone has had a spare wheel stolen. Either most people have a spare safe or it isn't really as big a threat as it was in in 2014. I will carry out a social experiment on behalf of the board and not get one. I live in an urban city area and leave my van on the drive. I have gone 7 weeks without one so I will see how long it lasts. I have the original set of 16" wheels so can use one of those if the spare goes missing. I will update you as and when it is nicked!

It may be an essential bit of kit or an urban myth, we shall see.

I have been advised to get one of these several times since joinig the board. I also notice every new member is advised to get one. Having searched the board I can only see 1 post in the last 6 years that someone has had a spare wheel stolen. Either most people have a spare safe or it isn't really as big a threat as it was in in 2014. I will carry out a social experiment on behalf of the board and not get one. I live in an urban city area and leave my van on the drive. I have gone 7 weeks without one so I will see how long it lasts. I have the original set of 16" wheels so can use one of those if the spare goes missing. I will update you as and when it is nicked!

It may be an essential bit of kit or an urban myth, we shall see.
You could leave your front door unlocked when you go out as part of the social experiment! ;)

prevention better than cure ?

favourite place to part with the spare wheel was Lego land

you pays your money and you takes your chances

Theres certainly been more than just one or two reported stolen on here.

If you search by "Stolen Spare" it will give you a better idea as to the numbers.

I was advised by Citygate that they order all stock vans without a spare as they are fed up with them being nicked.

You could leave your front door unlocked when you go out as part of the social experiment! ;)
That would be a different experiment though wouldn't it and the potential loss would be far greater than a spare wheel. Let's see what happens.

Theres certainly been more than just one or two reported stolen on here.

If you search by "Stolen Spare" it will give you a better idea as to the numbers.

I was advised by Citygate that they order all stock vans without a spare as they are fed up with them being nicked.
That's exactly the search I did Andy and there did appear to be a raft of thefts in 2013 & 2014 but I can only find one since. I am not slating anyone for recommending the spare safe I just feel it may be one of those products that has developed a must have urban myth. I genuinely don't know but I am willing to give it a go and find out.

Back