Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you bought for your Cali today :-)

You are right the frequency has dropped off on here in 2020, there were quite a few in 2019. My guesses as to why:

In 2020 a lot less happened crime or travel wise.

A poll of people on here might show a majority have a spare safe.

Another factor may be a much higher proportion of vans with 18" wheels with no spare than there used to be.

I know a lot of people using VW as work vans & they have almost all had spares pinched. Company vans so the drivers are not interested in buying a spare safe.

If you ignore the posts from 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020 !

its your prerogative and I hope your experiment proves to be successful.
Your post is a little disingenuous, I did exactly the same search before offering my original post and as I said there was a raft of instances several years ago but very little since. I popped over to the T6 board to search their data and the theft is a little more prevalent in their larger population.

Experiments are not about being successful or unsuccessful it is simply a procedure undertaken to make a discovery. Please don't take it personally if you have a spare safe or would recommend one. I just want to see if the must have is a must have.

Your post is a little disingenuous, I did exactly the same search before offering my original post and as I said there was a raft of instances several years ago but very little since. I popped over to the T6 board to search their data and the theft is a little more prevalent in their larger population.

Experiments are not about being successful or unsuccessful it is simply a procedure undertaken to make a discovery. Please don't take it personally if you have a spare safe or would recommend one. I just want to see if the must have is a must have.
Hi Algor, nothing disingenuous intended, apology if you take it the wrong way
I merely point out that there have been many cases since 2014, your posts implies that the problem no longer exists, since 2014
possibly the incidence have reduced recently for the reason Andy pointed out?
It’s of no consequence to me whether you choose to have a spare safe or not,
I’m simply adding the facts to your comments regarding no incidents since 2014 And referring others to such posts of loss, posted by many to specifically assist others avoid repeat of their woes,

Scrap metal regulations were tightened up in 2013, so might help explain a decline after that year.

Scrap metal regulations were tightened up in 2013, so might help explain a decline after that year.

I don't think they go for scrap metal. more like on ebay to be sold as a spare or because someone needs new tyres.

Easy to take almost silently.

Thanks for sharing Sapto, I was going to ask if anyone knew of a pattern. Let us know how yours goes. How are you thinking of securing it?

First try, will do better if the need of this shoe box is proven
446397bf31d0fa961903511988b81a01.jpg

f9ee37ae20e2ff0dd967c683d7496c54.jpg
3fb43ea55ff3e81d2fa22559666bc666.jpg

40fca084d6a8d92b33242e1f45d3558a.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely think development would be worth it, plenty of interested people who’d be grateful.
An observation - For people with an electric side door the upright nearest the door needs to slope inwards to allow for the table to be released. (As per the metal ones from Bus-Boxx)

An observation - For people with an electric side door the upright nearest the door needs to slope inwards to allow for the table to be released. (As per the metal ones from Bus-Boxx)

Thanks a lot, I'll check thatBeside the bus-boxx ones look fantasticso lot of room to improve my "box"

Bought some very nice nearly new 8CBFCA7C-1F05-4DF3-9216-9A4B310AD172.jpegToluca alloys from a club member (thanks @Blueeyedboy) and got them on the van after a bit of faff sourcing and fitting TPMS sensors. Keeping the original Woodstocks with 4 season tyres as winter wheels and will run the Tolucas in summer. Very pleased with the look. Ride is slightly harder over bumps on the 18” SportContacts but not crashy.

F93DFE11-9DC4-4D9B-855F-C9D5DCDBA3FF.jpeg

F78D452A-271D-42A7-B30E-9F9C5F9107AD.jpeg

75CC02BD-C5F0-4FB8-89F8-DBF33CC8AEA1.jpeg

4C327388-3B6E-4BB6-A129-CE19656CED57.jpeg

9F9079C4-1CEE-4BA4-BA6F-9D7B0E8C171E.jpeg

Bought some very nice nearly new View attachment 74687Toluca alloys from a club member (thanks @Blueeyedboy) and got them on the van after a bit of faff sourcing and fitting TPMS sensors. Keeping the original Woodstocks with 4 season tyres as winter wheels and will run the Tolucas in summer. Very pleased with the look. Ride is slightly harder over bumps on the 18” SportContacts but not crashy.

View attachment 74688

View attachment 74689

View attachment 74690

View attachment 74691

View attachment 74692
Anything smaller looks too small. Did you consider alloygators to give them a chance of kerb protection?

million pound garages tonight + 20:00 C5
True. Just rewatched the first episode concerning motor homes. Checked concierge camping to see they only have single nights available till Sept. maybe next year. Garage envy I think for all of us tonight

No issues with back ones, but is there only one screw for the front? What are the silver clips for? Be grateful for your help. Regards Mike
The silver clips are panel clips designed to take a self tapping screw, they are not needed, simply remove the existing screw fit the mud flaps, two at rear one on fronts

ps whilst you’ve got the screw out of the front, peel the wheel arch liner back marginally at the bottom and clear out the ton of mud from behind ! (Amazing how much collects in there)

Just got my favourite Dakar alloys back from refurb - easy to clean gaps between spokes big enough to get your hands in & the black hides the bit of dirt you cant shift. Got my favourite Rainsport tyres as well.

Also picked up a very cheap set of new decent full on winter tyres on my favourite 17" steelies.

I hate cleaning wheels so now sorted with two perfect sets.

Put the Acarujas on ebay - hope to cover all my costs - if not at least free up a bit more space in the garage.
IMG_2567.jpgIMG_2568.jpgIMG_2566.jpg

Back