Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you bought for your Cali today :-)

Thank you!
The cushion was a present so I don’t know I’m afraid.
No worries and thanks for letting me know.

I bet you smile every time you get in your van!

Threw out a big black unwieldy inaccessible box.
Transferred all contents into a small canvas cloth and then a canvas bag
Strapped the canvas bag to the unused space under the rear bed extension right side.

Lots of space saved,
Made all tools much more accessible
And made use of wasted space under the bed extension
and now more usable space in the boot.
win-win :thumb

1615229111864.png

1615229186209.png

@kurienp , i played with the idea once to transform the standard “toolbox” (wich it is’nt imo) to a real toolbox fitting the tools i carry . Never got to it doh...
There must a way to fit usefull stuff in there?
@Hotel California , I also wanted to do that ... but accessibility was an issue - unless I removed the front seat stops and accessed the toolbox from the side door. Even then, you have to contort quite a bit to get it out. (access from the rear is a real contortionist affair).

The advantage I found with this approach was - just two straps holding it in place. Lift the mattress, undo the straps and take the bag out holding it by its handle. I am yet to find a suitable bag though. Currently using an old canvas bag, which is a tad too long. On the lookout for the perfect bag and will share once I find it.

@kurienp , i played with the idea once to transform the standard “toolbox” (wich it is’nt imo) to a real toolbox fitting the tools i carry . Never got to it doh...
There must a way to fit usefull stuff in there?
As the new van doesn't have a spare wheel, I reckon all I need to carry is the locking wheel nut key?

As the new van doesn't have a spare wheel, I reckon all I need to carry is the locking wheel nut key?
@andyinluton , how come no spare? In which case I think you should have a compressor and a tube of puncture sealant?

Yeah, in which case the minimum will be the locking wheel nut key ( and your mobile phone to call VW assist).

Personally, I would be very uncomfortable without a spare. I know of people who have got aftermarket spare including the spare wheel holder.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

@kurienp , i leave the two bolts holding the toolbox out and acces thru the side door is easy once the seat is fully forward . Need to look in to it again , maybe cutting out some foam to create space in the toolbox .
@andyinluton , nope ...i take various tools with me , not to fix the engine but more to fix other things that could go wrong/broken while camping .
Each thiere own as with many things to take or not to take .

I take another tool set with useful stuff in it, just don't see what there is in the factory kit that I would use, that any recovery driver / general garage wouldn't have.

@andyinluton , how come no spare? In which case I think you should have a compressor and a tube of puncture sealant?

Yeah, in which case the minimum will be the locking wheel nut key ( and your mobile phone to call VW assist).

Personally, I would be very uncomfortable without a spare. I know of people who have got aftermarket spare including the spare wheel holder.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Van spec was decided by VW not me.
I've got the gunge & compressor but that doesn't fit where the jack is.
One day I'll probably fit a spare wheel holder, but as Im currently not going that far from home & I have another 8 wheels with tyres that will fit sitting there, its not my highest priority at the moment.

Some Thule tie down cables for the Awning. Just need to actually be able to get out and about in the van now.

Cali is last of those built without the tape under the seal which was done on a recall.
Before that it had been detailed from new and I had removed the rubber a couple of times to clean it.
Last 3 years it has been neglected as I’ve been too busy but today it got a full clean and wash and general spruce up.
Looks as good as new except for some tarnishing on the wheels despite it being parked right by the sea.
Still no polishing required.

Best of all I took the plunge and peeled back the rubber roof strip and the roof was perfect with no corrosion.

Mike

Mrs JunglieD let me have a sneak peak of a bday present I get to open properly in a few weeks. Protective film is still in place but hopefully you can see the clever stainless steel laser cutting as inspired by @Loz and created by a clever guy on the T6 forum. Mostly existing designs from his catalogue but I had ‘California’ text added beneath the VW logo sides. Quality is very impressive - collapses down beautifully for packing too

8D194ED7-B724-4906-A022-3B97D0263CBE.jpeg

496C412C-7EA1-462A-A548-FD8E7095B1D7.jpeg

6BDF1C29-3F25-4DE3-B9F3-79C78A37E748.jpeg

226AD82F-9468-48F0-B03A-600832DE0FA1.jpeg
And Brexit wasn’t going to cost us anything.. ordered window blinds from Project Camper Germany and that’s a further £47.99 I’ve got to stump up to Parcelforce before I receive them. Someone’s making a killing here!

View attachment 74993
And Brexit wasn’t going to cost us anything.. ordered window blinds from Project Camper Germany and that’s a further £47.99 I’ve got to stump up to Parcelforce before I receive them. Someone’s making a killing here!
I presume you have not been charged the German VAT. Therefore your extra costs are just the 15.5 quids....

View attachment 74993
On the other hand I ordered from UK to here in Spain a sun awning cost £65.00 + £20 postage. Then Spanish postoffice charge me another £27 taxes for the pleasure of buying from the UK........

What a mess and this will be for years before its all sorted out.

Back