Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you bought for your Cali today :-)

After swearing we would not get a drive away awning we finally caved and got the smallest one we could find for winter vanning. Last thing we wanted was a whopping tent on the side of the van and giant bag in boot. To be fair this Vango Tolga is impressive, up in 10 mins, packs smallish and only 480 on Wiggle, less than most people sell 2nd hand. F2D2DC33-E5C4-4A66-9636-0DE50702042F.jpeg

Hi,
I have fitted one of these to the leisure batterie, a brilliant and easy to use cost effective monitor using the app. (Range works ok for me whilst I am in my home with camper nearby)
I held back on fitting to the main as not sure how the App would deal with two.
You say app works ok switching between the two?
Yes. Just click the gear top right, then Bluetooth connection. Here you can add/ switch between and name each adapter.

7F055367-B805-4B4B-BD8A-8D28269516C4.png

C
Yes. Just click the gear top right, then Bluetooth connection. Here you can add/ switch between and name each adapter.

View attachment 98104
curious. Are both sets of batteries really AGM? Original VW batteries? Does the software autodetect the type its communicating with in the van? Reason I ask is I thought the leisure batteries were lead acid.

C

curious. Are both sets of batteries really AGM? Original VW batteries? Does the software autodetect the type its communicating with in the van? Reason I ask is I thought the leisure batteries were lead acid.
Hi,
I have a feeling they are AGM, I noticed when I added a connection for my portable solar. (My Cali is 2016)Also the monitor app did auto detect first time loaded but this seemed to take a little while. I think the App itself may be a little flaky of detecting battery type. But I was in discovering mode finding things out

C

I just checked the faq’s in the monitor app and it is not able to check battery type.

C

In my case, yes. Clearly marked new ex factory. The software does not auto detect, you have to manually configure that.
I clarified with the dealer when ordering and he confirmed the engine and both leisure batteries would be identical AGM types.

In my case, yes. Clearly marked new ex factory. The software does not auto detect, you have to manually configure that.
I clarified with the dealer when ordering and he confirmed the engine and both leisure batteries would be identical AGM types.
Did you select the option NY4 AGM battery with increased alternator capacity? If this option upgrades all 3 batteries then I'm a happy camper as I thought it was only the engine, supposedly as a carry over option from the transporter which might require excessive start cycles.

Did you select the option NY4 AGM battery with increased alternator capacity? If this option upgrades all 3 batteries then I'm a happy camper as I thought it was only the engine, supposedly as a carry over option from the transporter which might require excessive start cycles.
Yes, exactly those options, from memory (currently in Eire, heading for the Wild Atlantic way).

Bought some FlexiMags for the Thule awning/marquise legs. Comes in handy with uneven or sloping terrain, in a parking spot, or finally if I don't feel like staking things to the ground. Will need to test this with some wind though and today is sunny and calm. Quite pleased so far! Very high quality and good first impressions. Front side that touches the paint is high quality and don't expect any damage to paint but will keep a close eye. Uses primarily magnets with slight suction and a bolt where the stake would go through the leg fastened with a custom hand nut in black:

View attachment 97912

View attachment 97913
Thing I learned over the past few days owning these. DO NOT store them together by sticking them together via the magnets. These magnets are super strong and I had to use a pry tool to separate them with nearly all my strength! ;-)

Bought some FlexiMags for the Thule awning/marquise legs. Comes in handy with uneven or sloping terrain, in a parking spot, or finally if I don't feel like staking things to the ground. Will need to test this with some wind though and today is sunny and calm. Quite pleased so far! Very high quality and good first impressions. Front side that touches the paint is high quality and don't expect any damage to paint but will keep a close eye. Uses primarily magnets with slight suction and a bolt where the stake would go through the leg fastened with a custom hand nut in black:

View attachment 97912

View attachment 97913
I bought the rubberized magnet here for 35 euro a pair:

Think they deliver to the UK too. Website is is also in English.

Better not stow them upon each other, you hardly can seperate them, because of the strong magnetic fields.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

So we’re currently holidaying in France at Huttopia Calvados, Normandie (lovely relaxing site btw) and I decided to order a new shelf and some accessories for our Cali. Luckily my partners brother planned to come and visit us from Germany so we had the items delivered to them and he brought them to us.
All the items are from Gruenthal mobile camping in Germany and the quality of the products is fantastic. I wanted a metal shelf so I could attach magnets and other magnetic items etc. The rail hooks are also metal and I purchased the IKEA rail system which works perfectly. I’m also really impressed with the side window rain cover which is clear flexible Perspex , I just haven’t removed the protective covering yet.

Here is a link to their website.8CB86C76-9A2C-419F-BA16-D0AF4D51EECB.jpeg
F25BC78D-E504-46E5-8EDF-775523DDF27B.jpeg
09F92B65-325B-40EC-BD09-B5AD39139D44.jpeg
0620DFAA-102F-41E9-BC83-8A9058002DA5.jpeg

B27859B8-6DCD-4E7B-80E9-79F68FBE629C.jpeg
B268A7B5-2E4C-4E4E-8A04-78AC2025616D.jpeg

So we’re currently holidaying in France at Huttopia Calvados, Normandie (lovely relaxing site btw) and I decided to order a new shelf and some accessories for our Cali. Luckily my partners brother planned to come and visit us from Germany so we had the items delivered to them and he brought them to us.
All the items are from Gruenthal mobile camping in Germany and the quality of the products is fantastic. I wanted a metal shelf so I could attach magnets and other magnetic items etc. The rail hooks are also metal and I purchased the IKEA rail system which works perfectly. I’m also really impressed with the side window rain cover which is clear flexible Perspex , I just haven’t removed the protective covering yet.

Here is a link to their website.View attachment 98289
View attachment 98274
View attachment 98276
View attachment 98275

View attachment 98277
View attachment 98278
Is that an IKEA Sunnersta rail? If so, what brackets are you using for it? Don’t look like the BigTed 3D printed ones?

Is that an IKEA Sunnersta rail? If so, what brackets are you using for it? Don’t look like the BigTed 3D printed ones?
The brackets are from the link I posted. You can either purchase the brackets only or as a kit with the ikea rail etc. I use too have printed brackets but I found them unstable in hot environments.

The brackets are from the link I posted. You can either purchase the brackets only or as a kit with the ikea rail etc. I use too have printed brackets but I found them unstable in hot environments.
Thankyou @RSMarco

how is it attached at the top? Link to product?
It’s a very simple idea tbh. The Perspex sheet slots into the awning rail and the tension from the cords keeps it in place.

Reactions: SFO
Which charge controller have you gone with…?
The Victron MPPT. Seems best of both worlds. Given where it will be hidden I don't need a screen and should be able to do everything I need from the app via BT. Basic charge figures I’ll see on the main VW panel.

The Victron MPPT. Seems best of both worlds. Given where it will be hidden I don't need a screen and should be able to do everything I need from the app via BT. Basic charge figures I’ll see on the main VW panel.
Great, that’s what I was planning to go with too.

Back