Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you bought for your Cali today :-)

kurienp

kurienp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Something that California owners usually do not buy ! - a 23 L FIAMMA Waste Tank

1631713122456.png

We have the Porta Potti, which has a capacity of 11 L and we can survive 2-3 days off grid, before the PP fills up. The FIAMMA waste tank will enable us to empty the PP into the tank and extend off-grid usage of the PP to a max of 6-8 days or so off-grid, before we need to find a chemical disposal point.

On our way to Finland & North Norway soon, and will be off-grid quite a bit.

This fits into the rear boot very comfortably and is air tight - so no smells etc.

EDIT - for those wanting to buy something like this - I realised that there is a difference between waste water and waste. For storing waste water from the van, you can use this, but for storing waste including chemicals, this may not be the best option. Waste needs a pressurised container with a pressure release valve with plastics that can handle the chemicals.

I finally went with a Thetford C200 waste tank. Compact enough to fit in the boot of the Cali Ocean along with all the other usual stuff.

Last edited:
Barbara

Barbara

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
New Wine Glasses.:Summit Pop space saving.

One of the old ones finally succumbed after many many years of use, (that fact I put my foot on it Hastened it departure)

we store these for travelling, in suitable size Mugs which makes further use of a potential wasted space. (hanging strap discarded)

View attachment 84188

View attachment 84189
Edit :

edit: available from the Range via post. (not currently in store) £4.99 per pair, random colours will be dispatched. Supplied in pairs postage is about £3.95 regardless of amount ordered.
Thanks, I will take a look. I have similar ones from Lakeland which now have a few cracks, they did not like been dropped. They fit nicely in the side wall cup holders.

GillianC

GillianC

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Something that California owners usually do not buy ! - a 23 L FIAMMA Waste Tank

View attachment 84403

We have the Porta Potti, which has a capacity of 11 L and we can survive 2-3 days off grid, before the PP fills up. The FIAMMA waste tank will enable us to empty the PP into the tank and extend off-grid usage of the PP to a max of 6-8 days or so off-grid, before we need to find a chemical disposal point.

This fits into the rear boot very comfortably and is air tight - so no smells etc.
Have you tried tipping the contents of the potti into it yet? I can imagine the mess I would make !

4x4 joker

4x4 joker

VW T6 Westfalia Club Joker 4motion
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A

View attachment 84403

Does it have a pressure release button on it like loo tank, as you may get splattered when emptying it.

4x4 joker

4x4 joker

VW T6 Westfalia Club Joker 4motion
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Unfortunately no, so yes, will be careful. Not travelled with it yet. Will report back - if I live to tell the tale :bananadance2
My joker has one of them, not sure how that compares on price but is the right tool for the job.
Hope it works.49ACAA48-1542-48C6-9B79-EE8DCC5B3A88.png

kurienp

kurienp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
My joker has one of them, not sure how that compares on price but is the right tool for the job.
Hope it works.View attachment 84427
Thank you. That is useful and if this works out well, then will upgrade to that one. On price it is £38 versus £99 but then the Thetford has some required features. . I will check the dimensions as well, as fitting into the boot space was the main consideration. :thumb

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Unfortunately no, so yes, will be careful. Not travelled with it yet. Will report back - if I live to tell the tale :bananadance2
I would rethink this again. This is designed to empty grey water, which has no solids.
When you'll empty this grey water tank full of "black" water, and we now that regardless how much aquakem you put in, solid waste will still be present, it will make a mess. It will splash and get dirty and you'll have a hard time preventing splashes to yourself too. That because it is missing a spout and a release valve like the PP.

Hardly recommend a test with clear/clean water, some clean toilet paper, and some clean solids, likes bottle corks , anything that can resemble ... you know what. Than try empting it in you home WC, and you'll assess the feasibility.
That's what I'd do.

kurienp

kurienp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I would rethink this again. This is designed to empty grey water, which has no solids.
When you'll empty this grey water tank full of "black" water, and we now that regardless how much aquakem you put in, solid waste will still be present, it will make a mess. It will splash and get dirty and you'll have a hard time preventing splashes to yourself too. That because it is missing a spout and a release valve like the PP.

Hardly recommend a test with clear/clean water, some clean toilet paper, and some clean solids, likes bottle corks , anything that can resemble ... you know what. Than try empting it in you home WC, and you'll assess the feasibility.
That's what I'd do.
@Calimili , we only use the PP for #1's. for #2's it is Bog in a Bag. Though, agree with you (and the earlier notes from @GillianC as well as @4x4 joker got me thinking) - there is a difference between waste water and waste. Did test it, and pouring and all was fine, though, with chemicals etc, the waste water tank may not be built for handling chemicals along with the waste and I think I will do better with a Thetford Cassette.

Ok, so change of plans - the smaller Thetford waste water tank ordered :thumb

Thank you all for your inputs, else may have ended up with a bit of a mess :bananadance2

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
@Calimili , we only use the PP for #1's. for #2's it is Bog in a Bag. Though, agree with you (and the earlier notes from @GillianC as well as @4x4 joker got me thinking) - there is a difference between waste water and waste. Did test it, and pouring and all was fine, though, with chemicals etc, the waste water tank may not be built for handling chemicals along with the waste and I think I will do better with a Thetford Cassette.

Ok, so change of plans - the smaller Thetford waste water tank ordered :thumb

Thank you all for your inputs, else may have ended up with a bit of a mess :bananadance2
Could have been a shitty situation ;)
For side reference, this year on holiday I was on a pitch with grey water connection, but to put the Cali in the best position within the pitch for view etc I couldn't connect the grey water hose to the Cali. I used a collapsible 10L decathlon canister connected to the grey water hose of the Cali and emptied manually every two days, simulating the job the tank you have bought is designed to do.
It was a 30sec job every two days, way quicker and convenient than move the Cali to a grey water gully. So , for longer stay in the same pitch, the tank you have bought has its merits..

brooodie

brooodie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Last edited:
andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
[

I would have just bought another Porta Potti & taken the bottom cassette only. Then when needed just swap the top part over onto the empty tank. The bottom part is about as space efficient as you can get.

GillianC

GillianC

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
[

I would have just bought another Porta Potti & taken the bottom cassette only. Then when needed just swap the top part over onto the empty tank. The bottom part is about as space efficient as you can get.
Very sensible idea. No pouring of nasty stuff from one container to another.
Could avoid an explosive situation.

Saesneg Shaun

Saesneg Shaun

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Some tat from AliExpress (£15):

View attachment 84486

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003268672674.html

Stick it in a bucket and it pumps hot water (will use the stove to heat water)

edit: Bought the bucket as well. (£4.94)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002759257353.html
View attachment 84487

I plan to get rid of the shower and try and make the shower on the van work with it via the quickconnector (so I don't have to carry two shower heads).
I've been looking for one of those. Strong enough flow to rinse a muddy dog down?

VW California Club