Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have you done with your California today?

Scaffolding is a well designed work of art. Expensive?
Problem was the local authority would not give permission for scaffolding on the road (even though they did many years ago). So the solution was to put beams across from front to rear. Yes, expensive, but necessary.

Looks like one of those jobs that could grow exponentially. Might as well replace the whole roof whilst you’ve got the scaffold up.
We’re on the market at present, so I’ll leave a new roof to the next owners :)

Had a bearlock installed during a trip to the Netherlands.
IMG_3246.jpeg
It provides a kind of peace of mind and is also an effective gearbox lock :thumb

After we had the bearlock installed, we took a trip in the Netherlands (including Lelystad, Giethoorn and Dolmer which were fantastic, if you are in the area, definitely visit all of them). Everything was fine but then we experienced the following: the tap sputtered and then no more water. The pump kept running -the fuse was ok- and we heard 'the click' of the contact from the tap.
During our waiting time for the bearlock to be installed, I purchased a water tank lid opener tool. I probably had a premonition ;). At a Camperpark I opened the water tank, disconnected the float and took out the pump: seemed ok. and it turned so I put it back. It worked again for a moment and then again as before: some sputtering and nothing more. A pathetic trickle of water in between.
'Water pump' was my search on several Facebook pages and also here on the forum (the search function still worked then and hopefully again soon). The amount of information I found gave me the certainty that it would be a simple repair. Thanks to all who described how they fixed it!
When I got home, I ordered a pump (Comet VIP-Plus submersible pump) and two days later (today) it was delivered to my door. Good.
And then I started: open the water tank lid, disconnect and remove the float, grab the pump, remove the water hose of the pump, cut off the power supply and remove the pump. Water hose to the new pump, power cable through the hole with the rubber, pump back into place in the water tank, just decouple the cables and twist them together with the original power cable, electrical tape around it, a piece of foam around it and you're done.
FYI: you can also connect the power supply back together in a different way, but I opted for the tape since I had it lying around.
Testing and all was back as it should be: from a gentle stream of water to a powerful jet at full power and everything in between. Really not 10 minutes of work. Writing this post took longer :D. But all this just to let you know: if you encounter the same thing, it is a very simple job. Oh yes, the price: 22.90 EUR delivery included.

426621308_1642839196527548_8267014318598875142_n.jpg
dramatic photo of the broken pump :Grin

Last edited:
Hit the swinging bar on the height barrier at the tip. The barrier just caught my solar panel which luckily has an angle frame so no damage done. When I drove in, I didn't even stop to check as I have cleared the barrier with no problems in the past. The attendant confirmed that the barrier had not been altered, ever. All I can think of is that I recently had new tyres fitted all round. Maybe the extra diameter, possibly augmented by higher inflation pressure. As it's a busy place, I wasn't able to go back and check, but I will approach with caution next time!

cleaned the pop top drains, diesel filter as well as oil and oil filter. Well at least was it that I payed for. :)

Just exchanged the gas bottle (which was certainly more than 15 years old) for a full one at A.S.Adventure; of course with surcharge. Ready for the next trip (Easter leave) which will normally be the United Kingdom. I don't know where exactly yet, but I've never seen Blackpool and the area around it.

1708533588924.jpeg
Edit:
The gas bottle only had Spanish prints and was from the time when we traveled to Spain every year with the tent and car; I always had a small refrigerator with me that could also run on gas, hence the R907 that we bought years ago and had it refilled every time. We traveled for 10 years with our T4 Westfalia California, but we didn't need gas because we cooked with spirits. When we had our new T6.1, I simply put the old gas bottle - which was half full about two years ago - in it and now it was empty. Obviously I didn't use that gas bottle for more than 15 years, just to clarify :D

Last edited:
M6x25 bolt with square cap, plus M6 ring holder from local hardware store (Hornbach) makes a nice hookup point for the rail. Price is ~3 eur (similar item from the shop starts from 7eur exl delivery).
Square cap fits right into the rail gap fixing the bolt.

1710757452961.png

Bought another two years of VW all in deal, currently 20% off until the 2nd of April.

Considering Cecil spendshis time at the ocean I'm amazed its not a swiss chees of rust. I'm assuming an MOT is not required. Well done Cecil.
Must have a MOT as he says he uses Cecil for family holidays. NO correction. It would be classed as a Vintage vehicle so no MOT required but it must be roadworthy.

Finished reproofing the roof canvas with fabsil, not the nicest of jobs, really does stink.. 1000006565.jpg

Back