Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

what is this

I dont think we get one with the Coast as its manual but there is a long strap that is in the cutlery drawer which I am told is for strapping up the folding table to make larger work surface, although how that works Lord only knows so I may just use it in case the manual roof buckle breaks!
The long strap lets you put up the sliding table over the bench seat, there's a clip that fits under the table & then loop the strap over the bench head rest. Gives you the table adjacent to the fridge without using the leg.

Yes I just dont want to watch the video & dwell on the possiblity of this happening!
We dont get the strap with the manual roof Coast but had thought in case of emergency I could use the kitchen table strap!
Ive already had a friend who ripped off her whole pop top driving through a car park barrier when it was still up so already somewhat paranoid!! :)
You can buy the straps fairly cheaply if you are at all worried. Seems like a sensible thing to carry to me, manual roof or not, and I assume they would fit; they just slide in to the awning rail and roof rails. Club shop has them, around £12 each side I think.

Language Language.
You can't always get your own way.
As far as roof heights check out the VW Technical drawings / specifications.
As far as the roof latching it would seem similar systems have failed and Owners had to resort to ropes and straps so they could travel. The California system is easier to use.
I suggest you get back to banging your triangle or whatever you do, and watch your language.
At least you were embarrassed enough to delete your assertion on the 6.1 height thread that the Cali and a transporter panel van are exactly the same height once the official VW technical info was posted with the different heights. No attempt to correct your misleading information here however. Since the manual roof has two latches and two manual safety straps whose designed purpose is to secure the roof, your motivations will be questioned by those who know the Beach and Coast, since there are not cases of owners of these models having to "resort to ropes and straps so they could travel." Your personal need to discredit those who correct your inaccurate posts is more important to you than giving accurate information.

I think you would be wise to avoid denigrating my profession, since I do have those screen shots of your shockingly erroneous Covid posts from just one year ago, in spite of your former profession.

Last edited:
At least you were embarrassed enough to delete your assertion on the 6.1 height thread that the Cali and a transporter panel van are exactly the same height once the technical info was posted. No attempt to correct your misleading information here however. Since the manual roof has two latches and two manual safety straps whose designed purpose is to secure the roof, your motivations will be questioned by those who know the Beach and Coast, since there are not cases of owners of these models having to "resort to ropes and straps so they could travel." Your personal need to discredit those you don't like is more important to you than giving accurate information.

I think you would be wise to avoid denigrating my profession, since I do have those screen shots of your shockingly erroneous Covid posts from just one year ago, in spite of your former profession.
Just quoting the information from VW. You can accept it or not as the case maybe. Looking forward to your screenshots.
There are cases of other makes of Poptop roofs that have had to resort to ropes and straps to secure their roof when the latching mechanism has failed. Just because it might be rare doesn’t mean it cannot happen on the Beach or Coast.
But of course you know best. :thumb

I dont think we get one with the Coast as its manual but there is a long strap that is in the cutlery drawer which I am told is for strapping up the folding table to make larger work surface, although how that works Lord only knows so I may just use it in case the manual roof buckle breaks!
Hi Jenny,

on a manual roof you already have two systems to prevent the roof from opening whilst travelling.
the two buckle clamps ( one either side of the roof ) and two safety strap with clips that attach to the D rings attached to the roof, if both of these are correctly fitted prior to driving there is no need to worry about a manual roof from opening during driving.

therefore there is no need to carry the Ocean style emergency roof tie down or any other system for that matter.

What type of person takes screenshots of forum chats and saves
them :D
Rhetorical question.
Lock the thread alison, quick.

What type of person takes screenshots of forum chats and saves
them :D
Rhetorical question.
Lock the thread alison, quick.
I thought that too.
One with nothing much better to do ?

Back