Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What tools do you carry?

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
What tools do the seasoned California owners carry? In a normal car it’s minimal but just wondered what experience has taught the ‘old hands’?

Reactions: LCD
What tools do the seasoned California owners carry? In a normal car it’s minimal but just wondered what experience has taught the ‘old hands’?
1. A breaker bar with a 19mm socket for wheel changing.
2. A pair of gloves to keep your hands clean whilst doing it.
3. A head torch because it will always be dark.
4. A mobile to call VW Assist if it's raining or I can't be @r$#d.
2. A Leaderman multipurpose tool for general camping and every day use.

I carry far too many, but then I have experience of being caught out not having the right tool. I have a spanner, screwdriver including torx, for every fixing. Full set of trim tools, battery charger, many spare fuses, wire, tape, hack saw, jack, multi-meter, jubilee clips all sorts, tyre pressure and depth gauge, pump, tyre sealant and repair kit, spare bulbs. All of it has been used on trips at some time or another and have always been able to get to a garage. Far too much kit but I can't think what to leave behind.

I carry far too many, but then I have experience of being caught out not having the right tool. I have a spanner, screwdriver including torx, for every fixing. Full set of trim tools, battery charger, many spare fuses, wire, tape, hack saw, jack, multi-meter, jubilee clips all sorts, tyre pressure and depth gauge, pump, tyre sealant and repair kit, spare bulbs. All of it has been used on trips at some time or another and have always been able to get to a garage. Far too much kit but I can't think what to leave behind.
Thanks.
Need to add a set of trim tools to my kit. Where do you stash your toolkit? I’m looking to maybe use the void under the drivers seat for some of it?

My van is not a Cali. We have two individual rear seats, ones that convert into two single beds. Underneath one is the hot water system and all the tools go underneath the other.

Thanks.
Need to add a set of trim tools to my kit. Where do you stash your toolkit? I’m looking to maybe use the void under the drivers seat for some of it?
Two points:
1. Why does anyone need trim tools in the van? I have a set at home but I can't think of any reason to have them available in the van all of the time.
2. Be careful sticking too much stuff under the drivers seat as it can disturb the cables when the seat is swivelled. That can throw up an air bag warning light which may require a trip to the dealers to rectify.

Two points:
1. Why does anyone need trim tools in the van? I have a set at home but I can't think of any reason to have them available in the van all of the time.
2. Be careful sticking too much stuff under the drivers seat as it can disturb the cables when the seat is swivelled. That can throw up warning lights which may require a trip to the dealers to rectify.
Thanks for the advice - maybe not the best location under the seat!
Trim tools? For example people on here have had to remove the Camper Control panel to manually lower a stuck poptop.

As @Wildcamper, not one item that I did not use in one year's time (except for light bulbs). Such a joy it brings each time, to be able to get that useful piece of equipment out of that cabinet.

On two occasions some money disappeared down behind some trim. I knew there were electrical connections not far away and the coins rattled about. Out come the trim tools, trim off, money removed, trim replaced - time 15 mins!

I keep a breaker bar & wheel nut socket, a general rechargeable camping lantern, Stanley knife, lump hammer & this Teng toolset that Ive had for 20+ years, it takes up very little room & has everything I need for fixing bikes, rewiring trailer plugs etc.

Attachments

• T3867.jpg
    T3867.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 90
I keep a breaker bar & wheel nut socket, a general rechargeable camping lantern, Stanley knife, lump hammer & this Teng toolset that Ive had for 20+ years, it takes up very little room & has everything I need for fixing bikes, rewiring trailer plugs etc.
That’s a great toolset.

Wow, some great advice here. Maybe we should create an “essential / recommended tool box” list for the downloads section.
I’ll certainly be adding a few things when my Beach arrives. Thanks for all the advice.

This bad boy:

With a pair of gloves stuffed in.
Takes up no room in the top rear shelf.
Would recommend.

1. A breaker bar with a 19mm socket for wheel changing.
2. A pair of gloves to keep your hands clean whilst doing it.
3. A head torch because it will always be dark.
4. A mobile to call VW Assist if it's raining or I can't be @r$#d.
2. A Leaderman multipurpose tool for general camping and every day use.
Is that a Leatherman @Borris ?
For number 5.
I have a leatherman. Best tool ever !

Not really - that set only has a couple of the combination spanner’s & more importantly hasn’t got the 3 different pliers & wire cutters which are what makes it better than just a bog standard socket set.
Probably better I don't have a tool kit at all if I cant spot that difference! ;)

I carry a large breaker bar and socket for the wheels. Under the drivers seat I use tupperware with a lid. It usually has pliers, Allen keys, cable ties and other odd bits. More for fixing random jobs and bikes than anything major.

Reactions: Loz
Is that a Leatherman @Borris ?
For number 5.
I have a leatherman. Best tool ever !
Yes, Sorry I thought it was something like that.

I agree they are brilliant tools and so well made. Mine has loads of different applications and is ideal for camping and outdoorsy stuff etc and I wasn't ever a boy scout.

1. Breaker bar
2 19 and 17mm sockets
3 A tow strap
4 air pump Michelin 4x4
5 fuses and fuse tester
6 jump starter
7 zip ties
8 Puncture repair kit with rat tails
9 pliers, a few screwdrivers
10 Leatherman
11 Fuse layout diagram print + on phone

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk