What tools do you carry?

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
VW Assist covers Europe, as long as you remember to renew it after the 3 years.

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Not if they are set to the correct torque setting :thumb
I've had problems with the VW tool. Combination of poor (loose) fit on the nuts and the general angling of the wheel brace. Right pita.

I think tyre shops are better than they used to be at torqueing correctly, but still I had a problem at one recently when I wasn't there to watch over the clown with the impact gun.

Deffo worth carrying a better socket/bar combo, IMO although TBH I have have the VW one in the van right now. (Do as I say not as I do.)

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
As far as I'm concerned the days of the DIY roadside fix on the modern car are long gone hence my minimal tools list. Unless its changing a wheel or a bulb, your chances of seeing the problem let alone getting to it are at best, remote. So if it's broken or flashing there are usually only two courses of action:

1. Switch the ignition off, wait a while, switch it back on. If it still doesn't work....
2. Call VW Assist or the AA etc.

If it's smoking, on fire or haemorrhaging fluid of any kind then there's a good chance it's buggered. Besides our roads aren't as quiet as when Mr Toad was a keen young motorist. With todays busy roads you will be risking life and limb doing any sort of road side fix.

Anyway I don't think asking a lady to remove her tights in order to replace a broken auxiliary belt would be considered PC these days that's if you could actually get anywhere near it without removing the front of the car.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
As far as I'm concerned the days of the DIY roadside fix on the modern car are long gone hence my minimal tools list. Unless its changing a wheel or a bulb, your chances of seeing the problem let alone getting to it are at best, remote. So if it's broken or flashing there are usually only two courses of action:

1. Switch the ignition off, wait a while, switch it back on. If it still doesn't work....
2. Call VW Assist or the AA etc.

If it's smoking, on fire or haemorrhaging fluid of any kind then there's a good chance it's buggered. Besides our roads aren't as quiet as when Mr Toad was a keen young motorist. With todays busy roads you will be risking life and limb doing any sort of road side fix.

Anyway I don't think asking a lady to remove her tights in order to replace a broken auxiliary belt would be considered PC these days that's if you could actually get anywhere near it without removing the front of the car.
If they're wearing tights. Think leggings would be too bulky.

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I don't understand, why do you need to remove parts of the car to get at whatever your lady friend has (ahem :embarrased ) in her tights?

andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Agreed, Ive got similar + a can of the gunge as well as a spare wheel.
+1. They are a good get-you-home if you have a slow puncture.

I still have a crappy one that I bought years ago from a bloke in a village in Romania after my third puncture in as many days. I had to keep stopping to use it every few km until we found a 'vulcanisers' shop. It cost me 20 euros or something, seemed like a rip off at the time but it still works.

willwander

willwander

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
+1. They are a good get-you-home if you have a slow puncture.

I still have a crappy one that I bought years ago from a bloke in a village in Romania after my third puncture in as many days. I had to keep stopping to use it every few km until we found a 'vulcanisers' shop. It cost me 20 euros or something, seemed like a rip off at the time but it still works.
There's a cheaper version £20 from Halfords, just as good.

GSX1300R

GSX1300R

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We now take our small compressor kit out of our mini even though we have a spare it saves looking for a garage to top up the pressure..

J

Jandy61

Vehicle
Looking to buy
and some gaffa tape

Attachments

• 9371BCBB-6FEC-448E-93CF-FFDD5C7B8271.jpeg
    9371BCBB-6FEC-448E-93CF-FFDD5C7B8271.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 16
GSX1300R

GSX1300R

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
When we travelled Australia in our Split screen kombi we carried everything you would need for a FULL engine rebuild, and we needed it many times over...

Christine Kirk

Christine Kirk

Lifetime VIP Member
1. A breaker bar with a 19mm socket for wheel changing.
2. A pair of gloves to keep your hands clean whilst doing it.
3. A head torch because it will always be dark.
4. A mobile to call VW Assist if it's raining or I can't be @r$#d.
2. A Leaderman multipurpose tool for general camping and every day use.
Exactly the list we have : presume you mean "Leatherman" multi tool
we also carry a small zipper case with screwdrivers (Stanley I think) and the other half is prone to needing a bundle of spanners in case he gets the fiddling urge; (Which have been carried around in various cars for decades and never used!!) We used to have a box of spare bulbs but the cali now has LED's and very effective they are too.

Phillip T

Phillip T

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
head torch, pump, that it.
Never had a break down in 20years, just good maintenance, always had breakdown cover.
Except for our other van a 1.6tdi Caddy our introduction to VW, which broke down 3 times, once ERG failure, twice for injector failure.
5 hours recovery first time and 2 hours the second time then decided had enough and changed the other injectors which sorted that problem, been fine ever since.

kurienp

kurienp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
head torch, pump, that it.
Never had a break down in 20years, just good maintenance, always had breakdown cover.
Except for our other van a 1.6tdi Caddy our introduction to VW, which broke down 3 times, once ERG failure, twice for injector failure.
5 hours recovery first time and 2 hours the second time then decided had enough and changed the other injectors which sorted that problem, been fine ever since.

You don't carry the tools for yourself. You carry it to help others who may not be up to maintaining their vehicles :D ... and once in a while, if need be, us it yourself.:thumb

The other day had a puncture when parked at home and just about to go out. Rolled a few yards to trace the offending object - a screw. Took it out, rat tail in, pump it up ... and on our way in less than 15 minutes.

Helps to be prepared.

Phillip T

Phillip T

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
You don't carry the tools for yourself. You carry it to help others who may not be up to maintaining their vehicles :D ... and once in a while, if need be, us it yourself.:thumb

The other day had a puncture when parked at home and just about to go out. Rolled a few yards to trace the offending object - a screw. Took it out, rat tail in, pump it up ... and on our way in less than 15 minutes.

Helps to be prepared.
Aye my father always had old cars when I was younger, always a huge toolbox, almost prepared for anything. Spent many a happy day under cars back then. Developed a keen senses for when things are not running right, catch it before it fails !
In our other van are the jump leads, tow rope etc. Which have helped a few folk as you say.
Guess never got round to that for the cali as yet perhaps I should or is it mobile coverage is good even up here and breakdown not far off and the California has a kettle

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Exactly the list we have : presume you mean "Leatherman" multi tool
we also carry a small zipper case with screwdrivers (Stanley I think) and the other half is prone to needing a bundle of spanners in case he gets the fiddling urge; (Which have been carried around in various cars for decades and never used!!) We used to have a box of spare bulbs but the cali now has LED's and very effective they are too.
Well what ever it's called.

VW California Club