Jabberwocky

Forever young (ish!)
Staff member
forum co ordinator
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Not really - that set only has a couple of the combination spanner’s & more importantly hasn’t got the 3 different pliers & wire cutters which are what makes it better than just a bog standard socket set.
Probably better I don't have a tool kit at all if I cant spot that difference! ;)

tuono001

tuono001

VIP Member
I carry a large breaker bar and socket for the wheels. Under the drivers seat I use tupperware with a lid. It usually has pliers, Allen keys, cable ties and other odd bits. More for fixing random jobs and bikes than anything major.

Reactions: Loz
kurienp

kurienp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
1. Breaker bar
2 19 and 17mm sockets
3 A tow strap
4 air pump Michelin 4x4
5 fuses and fuse tester
6 jump starter
7 zip ties
8 Puncture repair kit with rat tails
9 pliers, a few screwdrivers
10 Leatherman
11 Fuse layout diagram print + on phone

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
The tools are for fixing kids bikes predominantly, other than fuses & bulbs there’s not a lot On the van that I would bother attempting to fix.

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Wow there are some seriously prepared Cali drivers on here. I hope I am parked next to you when I get in trouble lol.

I once saw this thread title on a Millwall FC forum, the answers were somewhat different though.
:)

Wogga

Wogga

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
A small general tool bag and a multimeter, I will investigate the bar for changing the spare I am not as strong as I was. Several torches never know where I left them.

This Eva

This Eva

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
American bojo professional trim tools and a wera socket driver set. The wera set is small in a soft case. Very special wrench that converts to a driver, again quality. Need to add a set of thin nose pliers FFX top tool supplier

Attachments

• 3705B3EB-0F0F-44BC-A55E-558EFE855AED.png
    3705B3EB-0F0F-44BC-A55E-558EFE855AED.png
    384.6 KB · Views: 17
  • CFBCB824-3A31-44EF-A98B-5F6EE583458B.png
    CFBCB824-3A31-44EF-A98B-5F6EE583458B.png
    364.5 KB · Views: 17
Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
American bojo professional trim tools and a wera socket driver set. The wera set is small in a soft case. Very special wrench that converts to a driver, again quality. Need to add a set of thin nose pliers FFX top tool supplier
Blimey, do you plan to re-wire the dashboard while you're out on a camping trip?

For me, anything that reduces the payload capacity for essential supplies (beer outbound, chateau-bottled wine inbound) isn't getting a space. Basic tyre-changing gear etc and an adjustable spanner etc in the van (and a Leatherman like Borris's) but I work on the basis that for anything else there will be a garage along the route that can provide and wield any other tools needed.

(Serious 'overlanding' would be different of course but haven't done that in the Cali.)

M

Moon Madness

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
These topics always catch me out, you think you have most things covered and then something like this shows up. Wallet out again then people.........

Loz

Loz

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I carry lots of the above, but I also carry;
Spare Aux belt
Rear EGR flex pipe
Silicone pipe repair tape.
Spline bit set for common VW bolt sizes.

I carry the belt and pipe so that if I have a breakdown and call VW assist, He can swap these parts for me instead of having to be referred to a dealer.

This Eva

This Eva

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Blimey, do you plan to re-wire the dashboard while you're out on a camping trip?

For me, anything that reduces the payload capacity for essential supplies (beer outbound, chateau-bottled wine inbound) isn't getting a space. Basic tyre-changing gear etc and an adjustable spanner etc in the van (and a Leatherman like Borris's) but I work on the basis that for anything else there will be a garage along the route that can provide and wield any other tools needed.

(Serious 'overlanding' would be different of course but haven't done that in the Cali.)
I have a trip to Iceland planned for later in the year

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199

Good philosophy :)

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I carry a large breaker bar and socket for the wheels. Under the drivers seat I use tupperware with a lid. It usually has pliers, Allen keys, cable ties and other odd bits. More for fixing random jobs and bikes than anything major.
That’s about as much as I carry. If it needs anymore than that it’s a recovery job or wait until I get home.

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I carry lots of the above, but I also carry;
Spare Aux belt
Rear EGR flex pipe
Silicone pipe repair tape.

I carry the belt and pipe so that if I have a breakdown and call VW assist, He can swap these parts for me instead of having to be referred to a dealer.
It's a good approach and having those in the van means (sods law) your neither your aux belt nor EGR pipe will EVER fail on a trip. ;)

Always lots of debate about this topic in the endurance rallying world, tools/spares vs. weight. Taking the trouble to think through which model-specific spares items are most likely to fail is a good approach. Although while emptying my spares stash onto the verge to find a replacement bottom hose on one occasion, one of the sweep mechanics muttered that it would've been better to put the new hose onto the car before I started the rally. He was right of course. There's no substitute for sound preventative maintenance.

The best 'bush mechanic' tips used to be (a) cut in half potato smeared on windscreen if wipers fail (these days I carry a bottle of Rainex), (b) an egg broken into the rad to stop leaks (again, a bottle of Barrs or Radweld is better), and (c) a Starburst sweet is excellent for fuel tank repair (never tried it but apparently it really does work).

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I have a small tool box with assorted screwdrivers, sockets + VW specific sockets, tape, fuses, bulbs but also tools for the bikes. Also an electric pump and can of gunk + Spare wheel. Never used anything on the van but on the bikes and other vehicles. Never had any problems getting a wheel off using the VW tool.

VW California Club