Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What tools do you carry?

+1. They are a good get-you-home if you have a slow puncture.

I still have a crappy one that I bought years ago from a bloke in a village in Romania after my third puncture in as many days. I had to keep stopping to use it every few km until we found a 'vulcanisers' shop. It cost me 20 euros or something, seemed like a rip off at the time but it still works.
There's a cheaper version £20 from Halfords, just as good.

We now take our small compressor kit out of our mini even though we have a spare it saves looking for a garage to top up the pressure..

and some gaffa tape

Attachments

• 9371BCBB-6FEC-448E-93CF-FFDD5C7B8271.jpeg
    9371BCBB-6FEC-448E-93CF-FFDD5C7B8271.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 18
When we travelled Australia in our Split screen kombi we carried everything you would need for a FULL engine rebuild, and we needed it many times over...

1. A breaker bar with a 19mm socket for wheel changing.
2. A pair of gloves to keep your hands clean whilst doing it.
3. A head torch because it will always be dark.
4. A mobile to call VW Assist if it's raining or I can't be @r$#d.
2. A Leaderman multipurpose tool for general camping and every day use.
Exactly the list we have : presume you mean "Leatherman" multi tool
we also carry a small zipper case with screwdrivers (Stanley I think) and the other half is prone to needing a bundle of spanners in case he gets the fiddling urge; (Which have been carried around in various cars for decades and never used!!) We used to have a box of spare bulbs but the cali now has LED's and very effective they are too.

head torch, pump, that it.
Never had a break down in 20years, just good maintenance, always had breakdown cover.
Except for our other van a 1.6tdi Caddy our introduction to VW, which broke down 3 times, once ERG failure, twice for injector failure.
5 hours recovery first time and 2 hours the second time then decided had enough and changed the other injectors which sorted that problem, been fine ever since.

head torch, pump, that it.
Never had a break down in 20years, just good maintenance, always had breakdown cover.
Except for our other van a 1.6tdi Caddy our introduction to VW, which broke down 3 times, once ERG failure, twice for injector failure.
5 hours recovery first time and 2 hours the second time then decided had enough and changed the other injectors which sorted that problem, been fine ever since.

You don't carry the tools for yourself. You carry it to help others who may not be up to maintaining their vehicles :D ... and once in a while, if need be, us it yourself.:thumb

The other day had a puncture when parked at home and just about to go out. Rolled a few yards to trace the offending object - a screw. Took it out, rat tail in, pump it up ... and on our way in less than 15 minutes.

Helps to be prepared.

You don't carry the tools for yourself. You carry it to help others who may not be up to maintaining their vehicles :D ... and once in a while, if need be, us it yourself.:thumb

The other day had a puncture when parked at home and just about to go out. Rolled a few yards to trace the offending object - a screw. Took it out, rat tail in, pump it up ... and on our way in less than 15 minutes.

Helps to be prepared.
Aye my father always had old cars when I was younger, always a huge toolbox, almost prepared for anything. Spent many a happy day under cars back then. Developed a keen senses for when things are not running right, catch it before it fails !
In our other van are the jump leads, tow rope etc. Which have helped a few folk as you say.
Guess never got round to that for the cali as yet perhaps I should or is it mobile coverage is good even up here and breakdown not far off and the California has a kettle

Exactly the list we have : presume you mean "Leatherman" multi tool
we also carry a small zipper case with screwdrivers (Stanley I think) and the other half is prone to needing a bundle of spanners in case he gets the fiddling urge; (Which have been carried around in various cars for decades and never used!!) We used to have a box of spare bulbs but the cali now has LED's and very effective they are too.
Well what ever it's called.

Good afternoon,

Before our trip through Europe in 2019 and afterwards (learned a few things) I put this kit together:

1610638428764.png

I actually got the 2nd drawer installed from my local VW dealer to keep those items in one place, easy accessible.

When I laid out the times I realized I was missing the little box with the breathalyser test. I wonder what I have done with it.

If the Covid Pandameic gets a wee bit under control we plan a trip through Scandinavia. For this I will add:
  • Spare fuses (various types)
  • More screw drivers
But most important information of how to do things, for example how to use the tie down kit in case there is an issue with the roof, how to fill up AdBlue etc.

That is all I will take, because I am not that talented with fixing things.

Happy California,
Eberhard

Good afternoon,

Before our trip through Europe in 2019 and afterwards (learned a few things) I put this kit together:

View attachment 71892

I actually got the 2nd drawer installed from my local VW dealer to keep those items in one place, easy accessible.

When I laid out the times I realized I was missing the little box with the breathalyser test. I wonder what I have done with it.

If the Covid Pandameic gets a wee bit under control we plan a trip through Scandinavia. For this I will add:
  • Spare fuses (various types)
  • More screw drivers
But most important information of how to do things, for example how to use the tie down kit in case there is an issue with the roof, how to fill up AdBlue etc.

That is all I will take, because I am not that talented with fixing things.

Happy California,
Eberhard
Are you hacking off limbs with that beast ?
Adblue goes out of date. Check it’s indate before buying in a 10l drum

I carry very little for the Cali (fuses, chains (always under the driver’s seat), fire extinguisher, red triangle, Swiss Army knife), but have several tools for bikes including a chain breaker and spoke key. I also usually carry a Joe Blow track pump and always a tyre pressure gauge. The Joe Blow can be used to top up air in the Cali’s tyres, about 20 pumps for each psi of pressure, so it’s not a natural choice.
43263081d8a752f391169136220c1a0d.jpg

However, it’s own pressure gauge is not sufficiently accurate for the Cali’s tyres, only to +/- 5psi, so fine for a touring bike’s tyres with a typical range 65-90 psi, but not for a car’s tyres.

Are you hacking off limbs with that beast ?
Adblue goes out of date. Check it’s indate before buying in a 10l drum
Hello Californication69,

If we go ahead with the Scandinavia trip I will get the van to VW for a check-up. At this point they will fill up AdBlue and I will get another 5 L bottle from AdBlue (not more, it takes too much space).

If everything is going according plan the trip will be about 8,800 km. This means that AdBlue has to be filled up. I hope with another 5 L bottle I will cover this distance.

I found the saw in the garage. I had no idea where it came from or that I got it. But it looked rather small so I thought I will add it to the tool kit. :)

Happy California,
Eberhard

Hello Californication69,

If we go ahead with the Scandinavia trip I will get the van to VW for a check-up. At this point they will fill up AdBlue and I will get another 5 L bottle from AdBlue (not more, it takes too much space).

If everything is going according plan the trip will be about 8,800 km. This means that AdBlue has to be filled up. I hope with another 5 L bottle I will cover this distance.

I found the saw in the garage. I had no idea where it came from or that I got it. But it looked rather small so I thought I will add it to the tool kit. :)

Happy California,
Eberhard
In the UK there are some petrol stations that sell AdBlue by the litre on a pump. Which would be handy. Think a Cali tank full will do around 5000 miles so your calcs are about right.
If you take a wood burner for pizza making, you could hack at logs you have taken for the wood burner and create kindling to start a fire ? :cheers

Always take a little plastic tool box (neatly fits in bottom of wardrobe). Usual selection of a couple of screwdrivers, torx and spanner’s, fuses, tape, etc. And my Carista dongle!

I carry far too many, but then I have experience of being caught out not having the right tool. I have a spanner, screwdriver including torx, for every fixing. Full set of trim tools, battery charger, many spare fuses, wire, tape, hack saw, jack, multi-meter, jubilee clips all sorts, tyre pressure and depth gauge, pump, tyre sealant and repair kit, spare bulbs. All of it has been used on trips at some time or another and have always been able to get to a garage. Far too much kit but I can't think what to leave behind.
Me too.

Belt and braces. full set of spanners, sockets, pliers, feeler gauges, screw drivers, hammer, breaker bar, wheel brace, jump starter, jumper cables, tyre inflator, tow rope, sand mats (although I am technically 4 wheel drive), fuses, screws/nuts/bolts zip ties, tape, bungees, two or three head torches, scattered around the van plus two rechargeable torches. Also gas leak detector and gas leak sealant. I have a puncture repair kit for my motorcycle, but with a spare and breakdown cover I leave it behind.

Back