Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What would you chose?

P

philipcon

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Torn between a second hand ocean (2018 with 24k on the clock) with all the bells and whistles or a brand new 199 which is just 2.5k more.
Both meet my essential requirements list but obviously the second hand has nice features including ACC, heated windscreen, seat covers).
Any advice?

Always brand new , you never know how A second hand one has been treated

I personally would go fo new, with peace of mind 5 year warranty added

How much is the difference when the new one is specced up like the
2018 one?
I'll have a guess, 8k.

Or offer/negotiate a lower price on the 2018 vehicle so the differential is meaningful. Only you can decide.

Torn between a second hand ocean (2018 with 24k on the clock) with all the bells and whistles or a brand new 199 which is just 2.5k more.
Both meet my essential requirements list but obviously the second hand has nice features including ACC, heated windscreen, seat covers).
Any advice?
We would try to negotiate a considerable further reduction on the price of the 2018 otherwise with only a 2.5K difference we would go new :)

Good afternoon,

I am jealous only £2,500 difference between a high spec 2018 California and a new (standard) 199HP California Ocean.

The natural and immediate response is of course go for the new one with extended warranty.

But thinking about it, there must be huge differences in the specifications. For an upgrade of my Ocean (150HP) to a new Ocean I have to pay €30.000 (the main difference is the DSG on the new one).

What I am trying to say is, that 2,5 years ago we went for the pre reg van with manual gears. The van is wonderful, but I am still dreaming about the DSG. Because of this I toying with the idea for an upgrade.

If I would be in a position to chose I would make a list of specifications between the two vans and compare them and try to be honest as possible to myself what I really want, can effort now and during the next 5 years (repairs / warranty).

Happy California,
Eberhard

I’ve got heated sunscreen and acc. I like the acc and think it’s a useful safety aid but I could live without it. The heated windscreen is also nice, but I could live without that too - of its seriously cold, just use the remote to turn on the heater 15-30 mins before departure (warm van too). In short, new wins IMO (all else being equal).

You have to ask yourself: are all these options really worth that high 2nd hand price? Am I willing to pay the repair if one of the options breaks down?
Just spec a new one with the options you really need and look at the price difference.
And ask yourself: why are they selling a new van? Did they break something, is something wrong with it?
I have had some second hand cars too before, and you always buy another one's problems. A new van will also have unforseen costs, but then you grow with the van and know wether it's your fault, or not.

In the end it's all your choice, but I know what I would do.

Thank you so much everyone. Your advice is much appreciated as this is our first ever campervan.

Second hand ones spec is:
204 engine, 7 speed DSG, ACC, heated front seat, removeable tow bar, awning, shower connection, interior light concept, headlamp washer system, front and rear parking sensors with rear camera, mudflaps, heated front windscreen, wardrobe safe, alcantara seat covers, floor mat. 2018 24k mileage, 3 years warranty left.

New one:
Either 150 (but with no shower hose) or 199 engine (with hose) - I think we prefer the greater fuel economy of the 150?
(but would like to have the shower as we have two sprocker spaniels).

Specifications are cruise control instead of ACC, no electric seat heaters, no heated front windscreen, no mud flats, safe, seat covers, or tow bars. The 150 has LED lights (are these worth having?).

Arguments for the second hand one: It is £2.5k cheaper, 24k mileage on a VW doesn't sound much as they should be pretty bomb proof, it has been very well looked after, you have to pay fewer years of the luxury tax that the new ones come with. Its got a great specification (except its missing the LED lights and the fact it has the larger engine).

Arguments for the new one. Everyone responding to this forum is suggesting the new one is a better option. You get the 5 year warranty and I understand the bellows have a fully opening window.

Specifications are cruise control instead of ACC, no electric seat heaters, no heated front windscreen, no mud flats, safe, seat covers, or tow bars. The 150 has LED lights (are these worth having?).

Arguments for the second hand one: It is £2.5k cheaper, 24k mileage on a VW doesn't sound much as they should be pretty bomb proof, it has been very well looked after, you have to pay fewer years of the luxury tax that the new ones come with. Its got a great specification (except its missing the LED lights and the fact it has the larger engine).

Arguments for the new one. Everyone responding to this forum is suggesting the new one is a better option. You get the 5 year warranty and I understand the bellows have a fully opening window.
All oceans have heated seats.
LED lights are well worth having
New will come with a years road tax so that’s £500 saved in the first year
An extra 2 years warranty is worth £1k
Starting to make the new one look like the cheaper option

All oceans have heated seats.
LED lights are well worth having
New will come with a years road tax so that’s £500 saved in the first year
An extra 2 years warranty is worth £1k
Starting to make the new one look like the cheaper option
All good points but not sure we know whether the new one comes with free 1 year's worth of tax. Indeed he may have to pay £1300-£1800 road tax in year 1 depending upon which model he opts for
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables
Does the 150 come with DSG or manual gear box - that would be far more important to me than ACC (over CC) , a safe and a heated front window screen !.

If a dealer has given a price for a new van that should be the on the road cost - if they haven’t included the tax they won’t have included number plates& delivery.

The shower is an easy retrofit so I wouldnt let that sway you either way. Looks like the 150 new is the way to go assuming its DSG.

Get the bigger engine...

Thank you so much everyone. Your advice is much appreciated as this is our first ever campervan.

Second hand ones spec is:
204 engine, 7 speed DSG, ACC, heated front seat, removeable tow bar, awning, shower connection, interior light concept, headlamp washer system, front and rear parking sensors with rear camera, mudflaps, heated front windscreen, wardrobe safe, alcantara seat covers, floor mat. 2018 24k mileage, 3 years warranty left.

New one:
Either 150 (but with no shower hose) or 199 engine (with hose) - I think we prefer the greater fuel economy of the 150?
(but would like to have the shower as we have two sprocker spaniels).

We wouldn’t make the shower a big consideration, we have 2 Beagles & manage fine without one. We have the 150 engine it does everything we want no problem. Distance journeys we are averaging 40mpg.

Get the LED lights, when we were specing ours the dealer said they weren’t necessary, but the standard lights are appallingly bad

We bought an 18 month old California from a dealer, one previous owner, 16,000 miles on the clock. It came with around £26,000 of options added including VB Air Suspension which is super, both for the ride comfort and the luxury of self leveling on a campsite. Effectively we got all of those extras for free. In my opinion it’s well worth looking for a good quality used vehicle with all the bells and whistles, but look for remaining warranty.
The other consideration now is the recent change in road tax for luxury vehicles registered I think after 2018. Very expensive for the first few years.

New 150 all day every day with the extended warranty and if its a T6 try and drive the price down further as I believe VW want the old stock Gone.

Back