Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Spec

That's an interesting seat setup. I don't want to be a party pooper but it does raise some interesting questions:

[...Snip...]

3. If you use a vehicle outside of the manufacturers design recommendations it could effect any insurance claim should an accident occur.
I only configured that set-up for the camera, and my Beach didn't move one inch with that configuration, and I certainly would never recommend it - the plastic caps and the removable section of the aluminium rail guards need to be removed, although the foremost rear seat does lock into position.

Thanks. Re the leisure battery, the fact that the Ocean comes with two is only a benefit if you expect to be without a hook up for more than 3-4 days? And sorry what does trickle charge mean? if you were driving for say an hour, very roughly speaking, what % of the battery would recharge? thanks
That is quite a technical question, and one that I cannot answer.

What we have done is put two 100 watt solar panels on the roof. We use these to charge the leisure battery, and hope that it will give us a year round off grid solution - however, it is almost completely untested. We shall be rigorously testing it over the next year as we are off on a year long farewell tour of the European Union beginning 5 June, ending June/July 2018. Over that year we hope never to hook up, but just in case, we are taking away with us a 10m hookup cable and Euro socket adaptor. We have been told that solar panels with a good MPPT controller gives an excellent recharge to the battery and mains hookup is not required to keep the battery is tip top condition.

We expect the solar panels and battery combination to:
1. power all internal lighting at night
2. power the compressor fridge 24/7
3. charge iphones, ipads, torches and electric toothbrushes
4. occasional 12 volt TV use
5. power the diesel heater pump when in use

With this setup, it is best to charge items in section 3 during the day rather than at night.

The cost of this setup is £853. As campsite hookup is typically £2-£4 extra per night, solar panels are not an economic advantage, simply a convenience.

Last edited:
. Re the leisure battery, the fact that the Ocean comes with two is only a benefit if you expect to be without a hook up for more than 3-4 days?
Not necessarily, the Ocean will probably have a fridge running permanently, it has an electric roof, inverter socket, sink tap pump etc. Also the parking heater which is an extra on the Beach is standard and requires power.

and more space under the multiflex board...

Also worth knowing that the 2 seat bed is generally considered more comfortable than the 3 seat. The 2 seat is basically the same as the SE bed, the 3 seat is more like a car seat that folds into a bed. In my humble opinion the 3 seat needs a mattress topper to be comfortable. The 3 seat headrests also need taking off (do the 2 seat ones push down into the seat?) before you can use it as a bed. We tend to leave them at home when camping if we don't have passengers.

We sleep upstairs though and tend to leave the downstairs as is...

Agree with Matts pro's for the 2-seat bench, plus there is a sizeable single drawer under it which does us for permanent crockery and 'day-van' trips when we're not sleeping in it - we then only to need to add bedding for a planned camp out. Headrests are the same as the front seats and don't fold away into the bench sadly, if we're only two-up then the headrests stay at home too.

Still trying different arrangements for sleeping in it, but I'm sure I'd be happy to ditch the Duvalay for a duvet and double-sheet when it's warm enough - the 2-seat bench is comfy enough to sleep on & much more of a bed than a folded down car seat.

Disadvantage being, er, one less seat and that the bench is less car seat like! Horses for courses.

I prefer the 3 seater to the 2.
I often have to carry 5 people and wouldn't want to keep installing the heavy third seat. Plus you need somewhere to store it when its not in the van. As a camping setup, the 3rd or 4th seat option would be a nightmare. It would be impossible in such a small space IMO.

The only downside with the 3 seater, is its not as comfortable to sleep on. Therefore I have a zonesleeper and memory topper to help level it off and couldn't sleep on the chair without it. But with these, it creates a very comfortable surface to sleep.
The extra height it gives is a massive plus point, as you can store so much kit under there and it has 3 storage cupboards which we use for plates, cutlery, cereals, dry foods and various utensils.

You might want to check out Alpkit Brukit for tea etc on the go;)
Otherwise a 230v kettle for when your on hookup

I'm going to agree with you (despite you chucking me a 'disagree' ;) :D ) but it is entirely dependant on passengers carried and usage - if you rarely if ever need more than 2 seats (ie are a family of two/three/four) and/or do lots of camping in it then go two seater, so much more flexible in so many ways.

But if you are a family of five or more or frequently need to transport more than four or don't camp that often but use it more as a people carrier then it's a no brainer I guess - it has to be a three seater.

I'm going to agree with you (despite you chucking me a 'disagree' ;) :D ) but it is entirely dependant on passengers carried and usage - if you rarely if ever need more than 2 seats (ie are a family of two/three/four) and/or do lots of camping in it then go two seater, so much more flexible in so many ways.

But if you are a family of five or more or frequently need to transport more than four or don't camp that often but use it more as a people carrier then it's a no brainer I guess - it has to be a three seater.

Lol.
Only disagreed with parts. Some good point made :thumb

Not necessarily, the Ocean will probably have a fridge running permanently, it has an electric roof, inverter socket, sink tap pump etc. Also the parking heater which is an extra on the Beach is standard and requires power.
I had understood that the electric roof was powered by the starter battery, which is why it is recommended that Ocean owners run the engine while operating the roof.

Have I entirely misunderstood?

I had understood that the electric roof was powered by the starter battery, which is why it is recommended that Ocean owners run the engine while operating the roof.

Have I entirely misunderstood?
Unfortunately yes. The electric roof is powered by the Leisure Batteries. The Ignition has to be On as a safety mechanism, unless of course you allow the children to play with the keys. There is No requirement to run the engine, although some do.
All in the Handbook.:thumb

Last edited:
Reactions: C&C
The width of the bed is obviously wider with the 3 seater bench, you don't have the storage pod on the LHS. The bench seat folds flat and forms your bed. Three seater full width of van 2 seater around 2/3rds.
I agree with @Mr Q - the 2-seater bench can be used as a 2/3 width bed, leaving the storage area to keep stuff, fridge, boxes, off the floor, should a narrower (Ocean-width) bed be sufficient, whilst also having the option to cover the box with the small mattress piece supplied and have a full-width the bed.

With the storage box and the large drawer under the two-seater gives more storage space than the small drawers under the three-seater.

Roof layout and insulation the same in Beach and Ocean, though Ocean powered lift & close, Beach Manual - and the Ocean gets an extra window I believe.

The 3 seat headrests also need taking off (do the 2 seat ones push down into the seat?) before you can use it as a bed.

Beach owners don't get the fold away headrests, even on the two-seater, they have to be removed before laying flat :(

Unfortunately yes. The electric roof is powered by the Leisure Batteries. The Ignition has to be On as a safety mechanism, unless of course you allow the children to play with the keys. There is No requirement to run the engine, although some do.
All in the Handbook.:thumb
OK - I have a Beach so I skipped through that part of the manual and my mind filled in the blanks for me, incorrectly on this occasion.

With the storage box and the large drawer under the two-seater gives more storage space than the small drawers under the three-seater.

I personally think the 3 seater draws are bigger overall to the 2 seater. As they cover the full width of the van. Plus you have the addition height with more storage underneath the multiflex and you also gain the multiflex itself.
I guess the advantage is one single big draw, however I find with camping use. You need more small compartments to store things to keep organised. It's a PITA having to riffle through all your gear to find something.

I've never fully understood the 2 seater version of the Beach. I would buy the Ocean, as you have similar limiting factors...???

I personally think the 3 seater draws are bigger overall to the 2 seater. As they cover the full width of the van. Plus you have the addition height with more storage underneath the multiflex and you also gain the multiflex itself.
I guess the advantage is one single big draw, however I find with camping use. You need more small compartments to store things to keep organised. It's a PITA having to riffle through all your gear to find something.

I've never fully understood the 2 seater version of the Beach. I would buy the Ocean, as you have similar limiting factors...???
Because an Ocean is a whole lot more money for features I personally would seldom use. My view is that unless you need to transport 5 people why have a 3-seat bench? With a 2-seat bench you get a more comfortable sleeping platform with more headroom and more flexible storage options.

But all this has been discussed before, everyone has their own view and I respect that.

I'd probably get a 2 seat beach if I could go back and start again :) my logic I would like more storage and rarely carry more than 2 passengers in the rear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now I think that would mean a smaller SlidePod? Argh choices are so difficult on these.

I dunno.
Will have to disagree. Wether it's the 2 or 3 seater you will always need a mattress topper. I've owned loads of campervans over the years and the beds are never comfortable without them.

Once you add the necessary extras to a 2 seater you are probably nearer the basic Ocean spec with a lot of those extras that come as standard.
Hence why I will never understood the reasoning for the 2 seater version...???

Now I think that would mean a smaller SlidePod? Argh choices are so difficult on these.

Those slidepods look great build quality, but I wouldn't want to lose all my storage as it sits where all my stuff is.
I'm not sure how you guys manage...???

Last edited:
The pod is mostly storage, it's amazing how much it swallows up. I'll take a pic of the inside next time. Most of the boot space for us was taken up with cookers, plates etc in really useful boxes which is all now left at home or squirrelled away inside along with food etc.

You do lose a little of course but we now don't need to take half of the stuff that filled our boot before.

The pod is mostly storage, it's amazing how much it swallows up. I'll take a pic of the inside next time. Most of the boot space for us was taken up with cookers, plates etc in really useful boxes which is all now left at home or squirrelled away inside along with food etc.

You do lose a little of course but we now don't need to take half of the stuff that filled our boot before.

To be fair, I haven't seen one in the flesh.
Kave has a cool self built sliding rack in his, which I'm looking into building myself. Originally I wanted to build a small one for the fridge/coolbox to slide in and out. But having done some digging I can see the merits of covering the full load area and making accessing stuff in the boot a lot easier.

Check the link :thumb
http://bau-ich-mir-selbst.de/selbstbauanregung-heckauszug-fuer-vw-t5-t6-california-multivan/

Back