Wheelie bins and the Cali

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
So our bin men have a bad habit of leaving wheelie bins pretty much up against my passenger door. As I discovered the hard way, from inside its not visible when sat in the drivers seat.

Asked them not to do it before but today it happened again. They only managed to half empty it somehow too, so it scratched my paint work as I pulled away. I was unaware it was there until I heard the noise.

A bit gutted over 2 years of owning this and being so careful and I get my first ding/scratch because of a thoughtless bin man.

My Mrs has a history with these things. Put a hole in our Espace some years ago (GRP body) and lost a wing mirror on our Fiesta quite recently.

I have one blow into our car too but no damage done.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Yeah my neighbours bin blew into my Brera and left a lovely big dent, I was very sad that day.

A lot to be said for the old metal ones, I never saw one of those blow away.

Sorry to hear that, mate. I found that in the past, I couldn’t win with these blokes. That was until I put a Christmas card out with a small ‘thank you’ one year. Now they are great, always take the bin, no matter how full, and it’s left back in its place when returned.

I am sure some will say that you shouldn’t have to do this, but hey, works for me.

I used to leave a slab of beers out at Christmas until they damaged my car and didnt own up about it. They are usually great to be fair and they are always emptied but I get its probably just one person not thinking about it rather than malicious.

That said there are issues with refuge collections being missed in our area so they may just be stressed and rushing.

So our bin men have a bad habit of leaving wheelie bins pretty much up against my passenger door. As I discovered the hard way, from inside its not visible when sat in the drivers seat.

Asked them not to do it before but today it happened again. They only managed to half empty it somehow too, so it scratched my paint work as I pulled away. I was unaware it was there until I heard the noise.

A bit gutted over 2 years of owning this and being so careful and I get my first ding/scratch because of a thoughtless bin man.

Sorry to hear that Matt :sad

Mine leave ours on the entrance to our drive. Our drive is just after a bend. My son came visiting once, swung into the drive and noticed too late a bin was in his way. A nice dent in the wing.

Hope it's not too much damage and easily fixed.

Just scratches, a couple low down where the wheels are that look like they are through the laquer Ill get a scratch guy in for those.

Shame !
Here i see them leaving the bins in the midlle of the cyclepath also afther emptying them.
Would not be keen on having my car parked on the street now a days...

Mine is on my own driveway but they leave the bin on next doors driveway on the left side wing, invisible to the drive from within the cab :(

Sorry to hear that @MattBW I can imagine how upset you are.
We have to drag our full bins down a long track to the main road. I carefully leave them neatly to one side so that we can pass in the cars. They are never ever returned to the same place but are left blocking the footpath to pedestrians and the track to the house. Always have to get out of the car to move them before dragging them back up.
As for those green plastic boxes for glass - well, I have seen them literally throw them across the road over the moving cars.

Our bin men are inconsiderate! Quite often I can't get back in my drive as the emptied bin is blocking my drive way. Makes me very popular with the other computer traffic as I have to stop in the road blocking it in one direction! Grrrr!

Horror Story,
What is it with other people not looking out for someone elses property ...just a tad even.
Sorry to hear it.

Having watched our binmen am sure they are ranked on their ability to throw a bin. Got some Olympic shot putt contenders round here.
Would just nicely suggest always walking around any vehicle before setting off, tyres up, no cats asleep and has a wheelie bin bin badly parked?

My wife decided to complain to the council when there was a trail of broken glass down the road after the collectors had been. I said don't give our address ! Unfortunately she did... needless to say we had a bit of cleaning up to do after the next few collections !!! I'm sure they are all under pressure to work quickly and do more and more... but!

I manged to scrape the left side of mine on our full bin, my fault as I thought it was empty and would just brush past it, but it was full so it didn't move! Left a 12" scratch on the largest panel! Lucky it didn't dent it. I was gutted when I did it, but several hours later and after copious layers of paint and lacquer from a touch up brush and some careful work with wet and dry paper and various grades of cutting compound - only I can see where the scratch was.

Must say, I found the whole process of getting rid of the damage very therapeutic. I've a few lighter or smaller marks elsewhere on the van so I'll get rid of those too, now I know how to. If it ever stops raining that is!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Yeah I've ordered some things to get the scratches removed, so will give that a go tomorrow. There is a tiny indent but after a few days I'm struggling to see it, so I suspect it was light enough to quickly undo itself. Hopefully it will be gone entirely soon or I may see if a dent chap can do it if any remains.

I have contacted the council but made it clear I don't want anyone telling off, just want them to not leave the bin against my van (especially when they haven't made sure its empty like last week). However its not the first time they've done this but the first time did not leave a mark and I did ask them not to leave it there then. The cynical part of me think that someone is just being a pratt and doing it on purpose but I'm trying to put it down to simply them to not realising which is most likely the reality.

The cynical part of me think that someone is just being a pratt and doing it on purpose but I'm trying to put it down to simply them to not realising which is most likely the reality.

Always a difficult one when you are dealing with a 3rd party because you know your own standards.
Some people don't have those standards I'm afraid.
I get irate when a postman walks across my front garden rather than around it to save themselves time.
Silly?
As far as I'm aware, I'm the only person in the close that even notices let alone gets agitated about it.
We don't always have the same postie and most walk round.
Yes I did complain and yes I have had a non quiet word with the individual. I think the situation is resolved but you hate being there in the first place and in your case you have lasting consequences.
Good Luck with it all.

We live up a dead end country lane. A few years ago the bin lorry driver backed up the road as usual but managed to tear the front o/s wing off my old van when he drove back down again. The van wasn't even packed on the road either!

I think his guide dog must have distracted him!

As for the wheely bins, you can always tell when they have been emptied as they are usually left up against Mrs B's car. There is a nearly always some of the contents left on the road at regular intervals through the village as well.

Last edited:
Back