Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When only one tree for the Hammock

Auberg-ine

Auberg-ine

Is it an office? Is it a lounge? Is it a camper?
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I've been thinking about a way to use my hammocks like this when there's only one tree (or pole) on the camping position:

cali hammock.jpg

I only tried it with just me hanging in one. And it held, and I could reach my juice at the kitchen :happy:cool:
Just a bit worried for the rail deformation after a while. Anyone experience in hanging more weight than the solar watershowers on this rail? 80kg, divided by 2, on a diagonal charge,...
Or could the external charge on the wheel base be an issue?

If the maximum load on the roof seems to be around 150kg, meaning 75/rail + extra wind charge when driving, then only the horizontal charging component is the only difference, no? I could add an extra hook per hammock eventually to avoid too punctual charges.
Guess I'll try it for a while and keep listening for eventual cracking sounds...:Nailbiting

The roof load is something completely diffrent than the weight hanging on the Brandrup rail .
Roof weight goes ON TOP of the roof on bars mounted in the anchor points.
I would advise not to use this system but it's your Cali ....

I've been thinking about a way to use my hammocks like this when there's only one tree (or pole) on the camping position:

View attachment 32819

I only tried it with just me hanging in one. And it held, and I could reach my juice at the kitchen :happy:cool:
Just a bit worried for the rail deformation after a while. Anyone experience in hanging more weight than the solar watershowers on this rail? 80kg, divided by 2, on a diagonal charge,...
Check for roof corrosion before using the hammocks, it could part company with the body along the perforations! ;)

The roof load is something completely diffrent than the weight hanging on the Brandrup rail .
Roof weight goes ON TOP of the roof on bars mounted in the anchor points.
I would advise not to use this system but it's your Cali ....
Brandrup seems to allow loads on the side rail with roof racks for up to 100kg... but apparently only for T4? They add a strange comment :"Assembly on the T6/T5 California is possible, however, Volkswagen AG does not yet allow the removal of the serial rail."...
If only the comfort of having the ultra compact hammock hanging besides the kitchen was not so tempting...:Nailbiting

Cali roof racks 1.jpg

Never saw those roof bars ....
If thats the case it could be possible , but still i would doubt if it's a good thing to do hanging weigth on it like you are trying .
Check it with VW i would say , specialy on a new T6 (warrenty)

Last edited:
It's a lot of weight to hang off the side rail, but you may be ok if you spread the load across 3 hooks and a bridle.

I've just tried hanging my full 92kg off it and there was a little flex but nothing more. It does appear to be glued on, so just keep an eye on it to make sure it's not coming away from the body. I'd avoid the ends as well as there will be less holding the rail to the body there.

I keep on 'swinging' guys :embarrased, 40 kilo's on this, please?:

IMG_E1415.jpg

If not I just make a loop through both windows, but hanging I will! ;)

... and so I sacrificed myself for the good cause of Science and Technologie, and in stead of working in the garden I hung the whole afternoon at this one handle :cool:. Glad I'm able to tell you all I survived the experiment, as did the handle! :happy

I'm intrigued with this hammock stuff, I've never been in one. Are they comfortable?

I'm intrigued with this hammock stuff, I've never been in one. Are they comfortable?
You mean the parachute fabric or in general?
It's a bit of a habit, and you have different positions possible:
- classic sleeping position, when the banana closes, and keeps you warm
- sitting straight, reading position, with your arms in a double fold on the sides
- transverse position, with crossed legs, airy
The advantage of the parachutes here is that they have a mosquito net zipped on (which you have to hook at a branch of the tree with an elastic rope), and a pocket for your accessories. They get dry in a second after a rain shower, and when packed they only take 20x20x10cm. Perfect for when no place left for relax chairs.

Last edited:
You mean the parachute fabric or in general?
It's a bit of a habit, and you have different positions possible:
- classic sleeping position, when the banana closes, and keeps you warm
- sitting straight, reading position, with your arms in a double fold on the sides
- transverse position, with crossed legs, airy
The advantage of the parachutes here is that they have a mosquito net zipped on (which you have to hook at a branch of the tree with an elastic rope), and a pocket for your accessories. They get dry in a second after a rain shower, and when packed they only take 20x20x10cm. Perfect for when no place left for relax chairs.
In general, really. The only thing I know about them is that sailors slept in them and I got the impression they were uncomfortable!

Thanks for the info, looks like there's more to them than I thought! :thumb

In general, really. The only thing I know about them is that sailors slept in them and I got the impression they were uncomfortable!

Thanks for the info, looks like there's more to them than I thought! :thumb
Lots of wild campers use them as they are typically lighter than taking a tent. Check you tube loads of ideas

They can be very comfortable and relaxing - if you set them up properly.Screenshot 2018-05-07 08.02.09.png

View attachment 32819

You also need to consider protecting the tree with guards when you attach hammocks; slacklines etc !

You also need to consider protecting the tree with guards when you attach hammocks; slacklines etc !

Of course. The picture just showed the intention; temporary fixed to avoid them laying on the ground. I have an 8cm wide belt (piece of an old tie-down) to attach the musketons to. If the bark seems fragile I put a piece of cloth inbetween.
I tried it again at another occasion but this time I fixed the hammock at the other handle on the A pillar. Seems even more robust.

Hammocks are ace for chilling or wild camping, but please don't hurt the Cali.
Just look for 2 trees.

Hammocks are ace for chilling or wild camping, but please don't hurt the Cali.
Just look for 2 trees.

C’mon guys, this ist Deutsche solide Qualität, nicht?!
Ok ok, planting 2 trees in the meantime...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Now i see what gave you the idea.
Spotted this sign whilst in Belgium yesterday.FullSizeRender-4.jpg

Yeah, that's us indeed! :cheers

Back