Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where have all the ladies gone?

I hate to appear ignorant - but what's the difference between winter wheels and summer ones - mine just has wheels!

I hate to appear ignorant - but what's the difference between winter wheels and summer ones - mine just has wheels!

A spare set of rims fitted with winter tyres. A quick trip to a local garage, one set off, one set on.

It's the tyres that make all the difference, they are designed to cope with the colder than 7C.
It's often convenient for some to have a complete set of tyres on a separate set of typically steel wheels.

I have 4motion but the gurus on the forum and the AA recommend winter tyres if you intend driving in temperatures of single figures,snow etc.

I kind of like the idea of 'All Season' tyres for Cali driving in the UK. I'd be prepared to sacrifice a bit of dry grip (I never really chuck the Cali around or drive it fast enough to get caught out on a dry road, it's a van after all). But grip and stop-ability in the wet and the occasional snow and ice we get would be very nice to have.

Well the tyres I have are the tyres I have - never changed tyres on a car, what's the difference? - Ok it would be different perhaps if I were going to the alps, but I shall be sticking to Britain this winter.

I have all season.

They need replacing though and always seem so hard to get. I am currently shod with one summer tyre and 3 M&S because when I had a puncture I couldn't find a stockist holding one within 50 miles.

Now as my wheels are getting changed on Monday, a good time to replace all 4, black circles don't have a single one in stock.

When I stop putting the likelihood of extreme places to visit in winter in my itinerary then I will almost certainly revert to only M&S but at the moment I simply want the comfort of having the very best "get out of trouble" bits of rubber on my vehicle that I can get.

Well the tyres I have are the tyres I have - never changed tyres on a car, what's the difference? - Ok it would be different perhaps if I were going to the alps, but I shall be sticking to Britain this winter.

I guess it's not something to worry over for UK-only driving unless you live in the Scottish Highlands. But winter tyres (or all-weathers) will still be significantly safer in the cold/wet. That's the main reason for them in the UK, not for the snow which we rarely get. But if you do ever want to drive safely on snow then winter tyres really are a must.

Anyone who has been in the Alps in winter has probably seen a local in a battered old 2WD Peugeot (on good winter tyres) edging round the shiny British 4WD, on its summer tyres, which has slid gracefully into the ditch.

I have Goodyear vectors at present. Very impressive in spring and summer mud (Devon 2014 and the Wash 2015 when I had that sinking feeling ). I note Auto express favour the V2 of these tyres and also Black circles - except Black circles don't have any :shocked

I kind of like the idea of 'All Season' tyres for Cali driving in the UK. I'd be prepared to sacrifice a bit of dry grip (I never really chuck the Cali around or drive it fast enough to get caught out on a dry road, it's a van after all). But grip and stop-ability in the wet and the occasional snow and ice we get would be very nice to have.
I have the Goodyear. I do chuck my California around and am very impressed with them. Good wearing characteristics as well. After 21,000 miles I still have significant tread on all 4 tyres and on my 4 motion equal wear all round.

I guess it's not something to worry over for UK-only driving unless you live in the Scottish Highlands. But winter tyres (or all-weathers) will still be significantly safer in the cold/wet. That's the main reason for them in the UK, not for the snow which we rarely get. But if you do ever want to drive safely on snow then winter tyres really are a must.

Anyone who has been in the Alps in winter has probably seen a local in a battered old 2WD Peugeot (on good winter tyres) edging round the shiny British 4WD, on its summer tyres, which has slid gracefully into the ditch.
My daughter spent 4 winters in the alps as a snowboarding 'saisonnaire' in her Merc Sprinter with whetever tyres it had when she bought it, without incident.

I have all season.

They need replacing though and always seem so hard to get. I am currently shod with one summer tyre and 3 M&S because when I had a puncture I couldn't find a stockist holding one within 50 miles.

Now as my wheels are getting changed on Monday, a good time to replace all 4, black circles don't have a single one in stock.

When I stop putting the likelihood of extreme places to visit in winter in my itinerary then I will almost certainly revert to only M&S but at the moment I simply want the comfort of having the very best "get out of trouble" bits of rubber on my vehicle that I can get.
I've never found tyres in M&S, perhaps I should look more closely next time?!
I always carry a spare myself...

My daughter spent 4 winters in the alps as a snowboarding 'saisonnaire' in her Merc Sprinter with whetever tyres it had when she bought it, without incident.

She presumably drove slowly, carefully and skilfully then, and maybe she used snow chains when things got tricky.

But it does remain a well-documented fact that, on snow, summer tyres take substantially further to stop with than winter tyres (regardless of driving skill). This is an interesting illustration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elP_34ltdWI

That's why it's illegal to drive on summer tyres in many European countries during the winter months.

Funny to pop in and out of threads: This saying "Where have all the ladies gone?" … just popped back in finding GJ now writing about tyres … I really need to catch up, to see what I missed :happy:happy:happy

Funny to pop in and out of threads: This saying "Where have all the ladies gone?" … just popped back in finding GJ now writing about tyres … I really need to catch up, to see what I missed :happy:happy:happy

Tread carefully!

Sorry ..... :sad

Ok! OK! No need to throw my coat at me ....:shocked

You fell into the trap of assuming the ladies are only interested in Cath Kidston cushion covers. Whereas actually a lot of them seem to be into black rubber.

:Iamsorry

I also carry a spare tyre ... why I go to M&S.... it's called "shapewear" :shocked:oops:
Too funny, touchay my dear!
I always like to indulge in Grannny J bating!

Hello I'm Pam all the furnishing etc is down to me it's not a bit blokey