Where it all started

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
After years of searching I finally found the only photograph of our very first camper van. The photo was a bit worse for wear and looked like it’s been used as a beer mat but I took the plunge and washed it under the tap and got most of the crud off. Then polished it up a bit using software. :)

This was 1976, and the van cost £175. No elevating roof, the interior was wooden boxes with cushions that could be rearranged into a bed, and the cooker was in another box which could be used standing outside the (barn) doors.

The heater never worked as the ducting had been removed to stop exhaust fumes entering the cab. Nevertheless, we loved it!

When we got it, the lower half was orange. Following complaints from the neighbours about the eyesore outside our house, I painted the lower part green to tone it down a bit. The green seems to have faded in the photo.

I like the tax disc holder, best Sellotape!

I’ve checked online and it looks like that numberplate no longer exists, sadly. Maybe someone on here owned it after us? Or before us! :D

I think the location is a picnic area somewhere around Castleton, but not certain. Maybe someone will recognise that hump on the horizon.

31CC997F-58C3-4EED-B53B-77B81972BDD1.jpeg

Last edited:
After years of searching I finally found the only photograph of our very first camper van. The photo was a bit worse for wear and looked like it’s been used as a beer mat but I took the plunge and washed it under the tap and got most of the crud off. Then polished it up a bit using software. :)

This was 1976, and the van cost £175. No elevating roof, the interior was wooden boxes with cushions that could be rearranged into a bed, and the cooker was in another box which could be used standing outside the (barn) doors.

The heater never worked as the ducting had been removed to stop exhaust fumes entering the cab. Nevertheless, we loved it!

When we got it, the lower half was orange. Following complaints from the neighbours about the eyesore outside our house, I painted the lower part green to tone it down a bit. The green seems to have faded in the photo.

I like the tax disc holder, best Sellotape!

I’ve checked online and it looks like that numberplate no longer exists, sadly. Maybe someone on here owned it after us? Or before us! :D

I think the location is a picnic area somewhere around Castletown, but not certain. Maybe someone will recognise that hump on the horizon.

View attachment 41674
That's amazing. If only you had kept it!!!

I love that photo. Looks like it was from the vw brochure!!! Well done bringing the photo back to lofe and making a digital version of it :thumb

That is a great photo!

I've got great memories when I was a kid of sleeping on the floor of my grandads T2 whilst he drove home from visiting very distant family all of about 20 miles away!

Those were the days!

Fantastic, I think you've just found a new profile pic. :thumb