Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wheres my Cali!

• Thread starter Pure Worktop Protection
  • Start date
Ordered in April, estimated build week 4. I'll be checking with VW tomorrow that I too haven't been pushed further back.
Hi Crispin Family, I have read some of your posts. Where did you order your California from? Your list price was significantly lower than i can find.

Hi Crispin Family, I have read some of your posts. Where did you order your California from? Your list price was significantly lower than i can find.
Welcome on your first post.

I ordered from SMG Tonbridge after an appalling experience at Beadles Dartford.

I asked if I could order a van to be used as a demonstrator in return for an additional discount. That was also two price hikes ago. The dealer is so embarrassed about the delays that it looks likely that I will get the van immediately, registered to the dealer for the first three months of use. My original 14% discount will morph into an estimated 18% discount on the list price at delivery.

Good news today confirmed build week 2 - so chuffed will miss the new VED rates and be ready for the best ever British spring for years!
Thanks to the guys at Breeze for getting things back on track.:)

Good news today confirmed build week 2 - so chuffed will miss the new VED rates and be ready for the best ever British spring for years!
Thanks to the guys at Breeze for getting things back on track.:)
What colour did you order in the end?

Indium Grey with Black Cascavels. Side pipes chrome or black? Can't decide......
My opinion? Did you order an awning? Yes? Side pipes should match. No? Side pipes should be gloss black. (match the wheels)

Cheers - Black awning so yes I was leaning towards the Black option.
Had a quote from main dealer to supply and fit circa £560 - have seen them on Vanstyle supply only £126 - seems like an obvious choice - but would appreciate any feedback.

Had a quote from main dealer to supply and fit circa £560 - have seen them on Vanstyle supply only £126 - seems like an obvious choice - but would appreciate any feedback.
Be careful which design of the side bars. Some block the standard jacking points. Not helpful if you have to change a wheel on the roadside.

Be careful which design of the side bars. Some block the standard jacking points. Not helpful if you have to change a wheel on the roadside.
Good shout, I would never have known this. Thanks for tip WG.

Similar dilemma. As VW are paying as part of the compensation.
Will be on an Indium Grey with black awning, black/silver cascavel alloys but but with the chrome pack which is the part making me hesitate. As dealer will be fitting them I have plenty of time to decide.
So black or silver hmmmm!

Mike

Similar dilemma. As VW are paying as part of the compensation.
Will be on an Indium Grey with black awning, black/silver cascavel alloys but but with the chrome pack which is the part making me hesitate. As dealer will be fitting them I have plenty of time to decide.
So black or silver hmmmm!

Mike

I always think the silver awning is more a grey/white and not actually silver. They look insipid neither one colour or another.

I always think the silver awning is more a grey/white and not actually silver. They look insipid neither one colour or another.
Thanks Snowy. Probably my confusing post but will have black awning. It's the sidebars I'm in doubt over. Black or polished. Would have gone black but for the chrome pack which gives the chrome bars on the doors.

Mike

Thanks Snowy. Probably my confusing post but will have black awning. It's the sidebars I'm in doubt over. Black or polished. Would have gone black but for the chrome pack which gives the chrome bars on the doors.

Mike
Black, painted or equivalent?

I suppose they will retain their looks if itted to a low annual mileage California, but on one used all year round.

The few I've seen with aftermarket Black Sidebars don't look so good after a few years.

But they could be replaced or re-painted when required.

Black, painted or equivalent?

I suppose they will retain their looks if itted to a low annual mileage California, but on one used all year round.

The few I've seen with aftermarket Black Sidebars don't look so good after a few years.

But they could be replaced or re-painted when required.
Good point on then getting tatty.

Between these two

2b558a94356c54ccc28c22b544232685.jpg

d4cbed2142411928d4622166f1d32fbc.jpg

Matt black or polished stainless.

Not sure if they do any different ones. Will be VW supplied ones as they're paying.

Mike

Quoted build week 50 (next week) too scared to ask but will check next week.

Does anybody know if the 'Grim Reaper' will accept VW's delays as an excuse?

Possibly the ones who get superfast delivery have an order that matches a CANCELLED one due to late delivery.

Last edited:
I still say black to match the black Cascavals. :thumb

Welcome on your first post.

I ordered from SMG Tonbridge after an appalling experience at Beadles Dartford.

I asked if I could order a van to be used as a demonstrator in return for an additional discount. That was also two price hikes ago. The dealer is so embarrassed about the delays that it looks likely that I will get the van immediately, registered to the dealer for the first three months of use. My original 14% discount will morph into an estimated 18% discount on the list price at delivery.
Wow, thanks for this. I will give them a call. Struggling to get even 5% discount at the moment. Demand is outstripping supply!

In your opinion what extras are the ones to get and whats not?

In your opinion what extras are the ones to get and whats not?

That is a big question. Each person will have their own different priorities.

We went for the Beach for the triple purpose: four bed hotel room, family car and van (with all seats removed). We like cooking outside.

The parking heater is the big option because it is so expensive. If you are likely to camp when the temperature is below your comfort level, it is probably essential. I have camped at 4000 feet, on ice, in Scotland in February, and slept soundly, so I know I can tolerate the cold with a good four season sleeping bag. My wife, on the other hand, hasn't and wouldn't, so we got it.

Basically we added all options which add to the functionality of the van and dismissed those which are merely labour saving devices such as electronic door latch, or things that just look good such as the comfort dashboard. I know nothing about wheels so we suck with the standard wheels. We upgraded the air conditioning when we learnt that the basic option only cools the front. We went for the full fat navigation system as we haven't used sat nav. before and fell for the salesman's pitch. We upgraded the fuel tank to 80L to reduce the frequency of refilling. I secretly added LED lights, without telling Clare, because I think they look cool and I had spare cash from the sale of Meg's puppies (yes, I know it breaks my rule above, but I couldn't resist. I've no idea what I'll tell Clare when she finds out). Initially parking sensors only, but I have now added the rear view camera because everyone here tells me how much they use their camera. We got a second sliding window to save arguments from the two boys about who sits next to the window. We got two extra seats with integrated child seats: our boys are 2 and 3 years old and we plan to keep the van for 10 years or more, so the child seats will have plenty of use. Awning because it seems pointless to have a campervan without one. removable towbar in case we ever need to tow. Upgraded adaptive cruise control. Interior lights so we can read to the boys at night without the use of headtorches,

We deleted the badges to give the rear end a nice clean look and because I don't like the name California (someone has suggested the VW Skegness would be better - I think that's equally bad, but the VW Bondi might just work if it has to be named after a place rather than its function).

We deleted the badges to give the rear end a nice clean look and because I don't like the name California (someone has suggested the VW Skegness would be better - I think that's equally bad, but the VW Bondi might just work if it has to be named after a place rather than its function).
We initially specified badge deletion for the clean look too, but then had a change of heart. I figured I can always get the badges removed at a later date if I wanted as they're only glued on. I had them removed on a BMW once and the dealer charged me nothing for doing it.

Ah! I see, it's not a more European name you were looking for, more something to represent its functionality. Let me think... Transporter?

On a functionality theme? Ummm........VW Camper Van or just Camper what about T6 Camper - just to follow the past family name you understand or Transporter CV. Just imagine how much a marketing agency could charge for setting up a days brain storming to come up with a name better than California. It would surely overrun into at least another day.... week... month and then decide to stay with California!! (just having a two minute bit of fun!)

Just imagine how much a marketing agency could charge for setting up a days brain storming to come up with a name better than California. It would surely overrun into at least another day.... week... month and then decide to stay with California!! (just having a two minute bit of fun!)
A while back I came up with a single word extolling the virtues of the Beach over the Ocean:-
Supercalisevenseaterbedsareextraspacious
Perhaps, when it arrives, I should get my van rebadged. ;)

A while back I came up with a single word extolling the virtues of the Beach over the Ocean:-
Supercalisevenseaterbedsareextraspacious
Perhaps, when it arrives, I should get my van rebadged. ;)
Its your duty, even if I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment!! ;);)

Shouldn't it be

Supercalisevenseaterbedsareextraspaciouscookoutsideintherain

to be absolutely accurate.:D

Back