Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric car to buy?

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Solar was the largest source of electric power in Germany last June, whereas in Spain it's wind (with the UK right behind). Spain is still staggering from the years that the Conservative party (now out of power) made solar power illegal, which is why it's behind Germany, of all places. It's all about leadership and the political ability to get things done.

yes wonderful in Germany! 1 KWh costs more than 30 cent € though. I.e. 50-60% more than in UK , France etc...
For a heavy industrialised country unbearable, and foreign investors are already looking elsewhere. Wait until there will be even more power demand with EVs.

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
willwander

willwander

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
LRGS253

LRGS253

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
My friend has just purchased a Skoda Enyaq and it is the best looking car in SUV department for less than £35K. Gov. grant applied to that as well. He has the smallest battery, but 30-50mph it definitely quicker than my supergarged Lotus!

reserves

reserves

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
My friend has just purchased a Skoda Enyaq and it is the best looking car in SUV department for less than £35K. Gov. grant applied to that as well. He has the smallest battery, but 30-50mph it definitely quicker than my supergarged Lotus!

Nice cars, seems to get them under £35 you have to keep the spec to a minimum?

Personally after trying to charge at non super chargers, which was a total nightmare I wouldn’t want to be outside the Tesla network but for home charging looks ideal

S

subthree

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150

66tim99

66tim99

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Thanks, although I couldn’t see a conversion price, and understand there are only a few public hydrogen stations in the U.K. (are they really “growing fast”?), it’s good to read that conversion is being marketed.

Wildcamper

Wildcamper

Vehicle
Please Select
Good luck to JCB

You do realise that over 95% of all hydrogen is produced from burning gas/oil/coal?
This might be true at present. But ITM Power are producing large hydrogen producing electrolysers that will replace existing production routes from fossil fuels. Should fusion energy be successful then hydrogen will be produced directly from water by splitting the water molecule at something like 1500C.

willwander

willwander

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
This might be true at present. But ITM Power are producing large hydrogen producing electrolysers that will replace existing production routes from fossil fuels. Should fusion energy be successful then hydrogen will be produced directly from water by splitting the water molecule at something like 1500C.
Green Hydrogen from renewable energy currently accounts for 0.1% of global hydrogen production.

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
According to Volvo it takes 70,000 miles for an electric car to be less polluting than its petrol equivalent. All electric pollution in the Production phase.
(probably a repeated comment)

Never kept a vehicle for that many miles, other than Company ones.

clarinetbcn

clarinetbcn

T5.1 Beach 140
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
According to Volvo it takes 70,000 miles for an electric car to be less polluting than its petrol equivalent. All electric pollution in the Production phase.
(probably a repeated comment)

Never kept a vehicle for that many miles, other than Company ones.
From the same article:
"The Swedish car maker said that over a car's lifetime the electric version will become greener overall, though this will only be achieved after covering between 30,000 and 68,400 miles - taking between four and nine years for the average UK motorist."

"When charged with clean energy, such as wind power, the lifecycle CO2 footprint of the new electric SUV comes down to approximately 27 tonnes of CO2, compared with 59 tonnes for an XC40 compact SUV powered by a combustion engine."

It's worth reading the whole article.

VW California Club