Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric car to buy?

I know you have had a solar PV / battery storage / EV setup for a long time and I just want to check with you. Do you use any grid electricity at all at the day rate ?
We have 19 panels, I take a reading once per month. In the winter we can produce as little as 100kWh per month, but in the summer this can reach 450kWh per month. Very roughly we use 10kWh per day, so unless someone has a very significant number of panels you will need the grid for 3-6 months per year to supplement your PV.

I am not sure. We have an Economy 7 meter. In the last 12 months from the grid we have only used 843 day units at 45.123 p/kWh and 338 night units at 11.602p/kWh.
I think with battery storage we can easily eliminate the day units altogether by charging the battery at night and drawing from it during the day.
When my wife retires in a year’s time, we won’t put a lot of miles on a car, combination of being away in van a lot and free bus passes, so I reckon we would be able to top up charge an EV at night as well. From what I can make make out they do 3-4 miles per kWh of charge, depends how you drive them I suppose.

I am not sure. We have an Economy 7 meter. In the last 12 months from the grid we have only used 843 day units at 45.123 p/kWh and 338 night units at 11.602p/kWh.
I think with battery storage we can easily eliminate the day units altogether by charging the battery at night and drawing from it during the day.
When my wife retires in a year’s time, we won’t put a lot of miles on a car, combination of being away in van a lot and free bus passes, so I reckon we would be able to top up charge an EV at night as well. From what I can make make out they do 3-4 miles per kWh of charge, depends how you drive them I suppose.

From a standard 3 pin plug they can draw up to 2.5 KwH which given most EV's have an everyday per KwH range of at least three miles gives a possible range of around 8 miles an hour. My car is doing around 150 miles a week and refuelling from a 3 pin is no problem at all, even when I try to limit charging for when the sun's out.

From a standard 3 pin plug they can draw up to 2.5 KwH which given most EV's have an everyday per KwH range of at least three miles gives a possible range of around 8 miles an hour. My car is doing around 150 miles a week and refuelling from a 3 pin is no problem at all, even when I try to limit charging for when the sun's out.
I’m sorry if I’m a bit obsessed with the economics of it all. It’s just that like Seasick Steve, I started out with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left.
We have a VW Up. If we do 4000 miles a year in it in retirement that’s about 400 lites of petrol at £1.50 = £600
With an EV doing say 4 miles per kWh that’s 1000 kWh of electric at maximum 11.602 p/kWh = £116.02. But would be less because like you we’d try to charge it for free when the sun is shining.
So it’s a saving but not huge.
So we‘ll have a test drive in something like a Honda e and take it from there. If wife says we’re keeping the Up end of story.

Ah, then you will do. But no gas bill. Gas is the killer for us in winter.
Same with the electric but that is at least getting 3x the input as heat output.... onnly got a screenshot from 2021 but this is a classic pattern repeated every year for us
Screenshot 2022-04-29 at 16.25.15.png

Same with the electric but that is at least getting 3x the input as heat output.... onnly got a screenshot from 2021 but this is a classic pattern repeated every year for us
View attachment 105426
That‘s a fascinating graph. The Tesla is cheap to run if you’re charging it at home all the time.

I’m sorry if I’m a bit obsessed with the economics of it all. It’s just that like Seasick Steve, I started out with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left.
We have a VW Up. If we do 4000 miles a year in it in retirement that’s about 400 lites of petrol at £1.50 = £600
With an EV doing say 4 miles per kWh that’s 1000 kWh of electric at maximum 11.602 p/kWh = £116.02. But would be less because like you we’d try to charge it for free when the sun is shining.
So we‘ll have a test drive in something like a Honda e and take it from there. If wife says we’re keeping the Up end of story.
Stay with an E up! nicer and cheaper! (and you can tell the difference between front and back on the Up!)

Why spend 30K on the Honda to save £500 per year? Surely the economics say stick with the Up.

It is true the Tesla is very expensive to insure compared to an ice car. Does this cancel out the extra cost of petrol vs electricity. I look forward to the day range and easy charging is available to everyone.

Personally I love the Honda e. It's on my wish list for my next short-trip car. Saving money is not a consideration when buying an electric car, they just make no sense economically. I just want some fun!

This is topical ……………

I love the paragraph that states ’The top spot being named as Londonderry comes after a recent report regarding Northern Irish attitudes towards electric vehicles found that 44 per cent of respondents felt discouraged about purchasing an electric vehicle due to the need to recharge it.’ :headbang :D :D:D

This is topical ……………

I love the paragraph that states ’The top spot being named as Londonderry comes after a recent report regarding Northern Irish attitudes towards electric vehicles found that 44 per cent of respondents felt discouraged about purchasing an electric vehicle due to the need to recharge it.’ :headbang :D :D:D

So they have 3 broken charging points as they only have a 11 in total !

I see according to the Financial Times that Germany has halted the EU's plan to outlaw the sale of ICE vehicles.

EV adoption targets are unachievable within regulatory timelines, says global automotive industry. So says the industry news reports.
Seems the mad rush to Ev's is proving not just unachievable but harming economies. Agree we need to change but it takes time no matter how much some disagree.

I see according to the Financial Times that Germany has halted the EU's plan to outlaw the sale of ICE vehicles.
"“The internal combustion engine itself is not the problem, the fossil fuels it runs on are.” according to the Germans inventive accountancy.

Not sure synthetic fuels are curing the primary problem, ie CO2 emissions. The source of that combusted fuel is irrelevant.

look at the changes in the VW Cali over say past 10 years..ie - very little).
Made me wonder…thinking I’d find significant efficiency improvements and emissions reductions. Not that clear cut though…

5B0032B8-20A4-4991-B093-28850F1CD339.png

AE3B436B-5177-4459-8A33-16A5BE95CF52.png

0547E8C8-30AD-4535-92F8-C6FBE382038D.png
2005, 2015 and last one is current figures

Back