Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which electric car to buy?

From today's telegraph... Lamenting the lack of charging points.
"Nearly a third of charging points are in London, with Westminster alone having more than Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle upon Tyne, Leeds, Sheffield and Birmingham combined".
So if us Northerners seem less than enthusiastic, this might explain some of the difference.

Also I suspect (no evidence) that putting a good quality PV/battery system in will usually add a commensurate amount to the value when you sell.
Unlikely. I suspect that, like double glazing, adding PV/batteries will add less value than the installation costs. As far as I know the big housebuilders do not routinely design new builds to have solar arrays, and they should be able to get the cheapest deals and sell at the best premium. And, of course, like double glazing (which is always installed on new builds), it should be cheaper to fit PV/batteries to a new build than retrofit.

From today's telegraph... Lamenting the lack of charging points.
"Nearly a third of charging points are in London, with Westminster alone having more than Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle upon Tyne, Leeds, Sheffield and Birmingham combined".
So if us Northerners seem less than enthusiastic, this might explain some of the difference.
Few (sane) Londoners drive their private motor vehicles in Westminster. Many of the large number charging points in Westminster are most likely to support taxis, so perhaps not the best comparison.

Middle of the day (12:40) and solar is generating more of the UK's energy mix than nuclear. Cloudy in the SE and far north; mostly sunny elsewhere.
1677156101952.png

232D55BE-FC5B-4746-86CD-7B23C942DFBF.jpeg
I confirm it’s been sunny in the East Midlands today and a minute ago our panels were producing 2.73 kW.
The interesting figure is 41,465 kWh since installation in 2011. That’s a lot of free electricity.
There is no question in my mind that solar generation has a role to play in UK.
However today is not a typical Winter day, if it rains solar panels produce next to nothing.

Not forgetting that the grid statistics aren't counting all of us with PV using less/none from the grid too

View attachment 105224
I confirm it’s been sunny in the East Midlands today and a minute ago our panels were producing 2.73 kW.
The interesting figure is 41,465 kWh since installation in 2011. That’s a lot of free electricity.
However today is not a typical Winter day, if it rains solar panels produce next to nothing.

That’s really impressive.
12 years on and the panels still seem to be producing decent numbers.
Any failures or additional costs over that period with your Solar Panels installation…?

Few (sane) Londoners drive their private motor vehicles in Westminster. Many of the large number charging points in Westminster are most likely to support taxis, so perhaps not the best comparison.
Yes, taxi's only get about 60 miles of range, and drivers I've spoken to tend towards 100miles/day, so their charging points are important. But WCC had a very forward looking transport planner with sustainability credentials who saw the future and decided to pitch free charging AND free parking at electric vehicle bays. I don't know if this is still the case but he certainly got Westminster off to a flying start 15 years ago.

Middle of the day (12:40) and solar is generating more of the UK's energy mix than nuclear. Cloudy in the SE and far north; mostly sunny elsewhere.
View attachment 105220

I think when people chuck "sunshine hours" around it can be very misleading.

Today the weatherperson will tell me I will have no sunshine hours until around 16:00 and my eyes are telling me their is a medium overcast outside.

My smart meter is telling me that I have had enough sunshine to drive my dishwasher, washing machine, a few times the kettle and other bits and still export so far (13:30) 4.8 KwH whilst also charging my batteries.

Last edited:
That’s really impressive.
12 years on and the panels still seem to be producing decent numbers.
Any failures or additional costs over that period with your Solar Panels installation…?
None whatsoever. There was a question mark at the time as to whether the inverter would go the distance (25 years ) but so far so good.

A6EABC4D-67E4-422E-89BE-A74746B23499.jpeg
Just to illustrate huge difference between what panels produce summer to winter.

I have 5.5KwH Batteries, each £1,500. Early day's but I'm not sure they are worth it. In the summer I will have maximum 16.5 KwH stored which will be only useful in the few hours of darkness. If I started again I would have one less battery, giving me 12KwH stored which would power the house through the hours of darkness. For the three months just gone, Nov, Dec, Jan, I doubt if in any one day I would have enough surplus to fully charge the batteries. I do get something for the surplus, currently averaging 9p per KwH.
I have 14.7kwh of batteries but also an EV charging tariff. So far (Oct 2022) the batteries have sent 1300kWh back to the house. Say 300kWh from solar, the rest charged at 7.5p a kWh.

Come summer time we will have way too much electricity

……….. and we’re still building new houses with gas boilers - solar should be statutory now really on new builds?
Dont do houses but renewable energy probably is or will be a requirement. I've seen plenty of recent developements with nominal PV provision (ticks a box). Commercially its now 40% of the unusable floor area

As far as I know the big housebuilders do not routinely design new builds to have solar arrays,
Almost all new builds in London have PVs as a planning requirement.

View attachment 105224
We consistently get 3,300KWh per year from our 19 panels. They are brilliant. It covers about 75% of our annual household usage, but little use if you need to charge an EV though.

Almost all new builds in London have PVs as a planning requirement.
Convoys wharf - 3,500 new homes in Lewisham. Quote from the strategic planning application (to bypass Lewisham planning):

136 The applicant identifies potential to allocate 3,200sq.m (13% of the available roof area) for PV. This would provide an annual power output of 240,000kWh. An indicative roof drawing showing potential locations has been provided.

That's 68 kWh per home per year. I know it's difficult to get solar for flats, but there is an excellent source of cheap energy untapped on their doorstep.

I have 14.7kwh of batteries but also an EV charging tariff. So far (Oct 2022) the batteries have sent 1300kWh back to the house. Say 300kWh from solar, the rest charged at 7.5p a kWh.

Come summer time we will have way too much electricity
Never mind. Even if you can’t use all your free electricity in summer you’ll still be getting that ultra high Feed in Tariff you’re on !

You too. No brainer back then but people were saying "I wouldnt have PVs if you paid me" (they are!)

I was thinking of offering a free charging bank outside the garage. Wife was horrified

You too. No brainer back then but people were saying "I wouldnt have PVs if you paid me" (they are!)

I was thinking of offering a free charging bank outside the garage. Wife was horrified
What’s this free stuff ? Bottle of Grouse for a full charge on a Tesla.

I think I have decided that the perfect complement to our Cali ocean is to have an electric car for the everyday journeys we make. I wondered if I might pick you collective brains on the following questions that I am pondering.

1. Should I go for the VW ID3, Hyundai Kona or Kia E Niro? Any thoughts or experiences of these cars?

2. What's the best way of going about buying a new car? is it best to go with the cheapest Carwow/drive the deal quotes or are there advantages of going direct through dealers? How do you go about getting a good price?

3. Any other tips you have?

Thank you in anticipation.
3. RR Spectre

We have an ID3 and its been great. Now at 46k and the journey has been good but sometimes painful. Just changing the vehicle and have ordered an XC40 petrol (this morning) . Garage have offered 21k for the ID3 which is fair at today's market.

If you're in the market for a Tesla, especially if grey is your colour of choice, I dont think you'll be faced with a long wait.
Went past Brent Cross Shopping Centre whose car parks are rammed with Teslas, mainly grey. i would say 50% more vehicles than a couple of months ago.

Not forgetting that the grid statistics aren't counting all of us with PV using less/none from the grid too
I know you have had a solar PV / battery storage / EV setup for a long time and I just want to check with you. Do you use any grid electricity at all at the day rate ?

Back