Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heating Options - Cali 6.1 Beach

I

Iain-Le-Roi

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hi all

First post, I have just ordered the new 6.1 Beach which should arrive in March so I am very excited. One area I am still not sure on though is the heating options. I have searched the forum and found some useful information but I am still not sure as what they all mean as the terminology seems to vary and also the tech may have changed on the latest versions (or perhaps just the names?). The beach comes as standard with:
1. Electronically controlled front air conditioning system and second heating system in passenger compartment (Standard) - Is this just standard air con without being able to set the temperature? What is the second heater in the passenger compartment? Will this suffice to keep the rear living compartment warm in cooler months as long as hooked up to electricity?
The two optional extras on this model are:
2. Climatronic with second evaporator and second heating system (£990) - Is this exactly the same as above but with temperature control (i.e climate control vs air con) and with a second air con unit for the back which can be set separately? Same question as above - Would this be fine for cold night as long as hooked up?
3. Auxiliary heater with programmable functionality and radio remote control (£2.3K) - Is this what is often referred to on the forum as the Parking heater? Is this only required when not on a site with a hook up or is this useful in other situations too? Does this blow warm air into the back from a Third heater? In the forum I often see auxiliary heater referring to heating the engine but this seems to refer to the cabin heat and seems to make sense in terms of price.

What are peoples views on what is required in terms of heaters in the UK? I will mainly be on sites for a couple of days at a time, rather than going "wild" for weeks on end I think. But my wife and children do feel the cold and I would hate for them not to want to use the new camper as they feel its not comfortable... but I don't want to waste 2.3K if not necessary.

Cheers

ILR

1 and 2 only work with the engine running, number 2 gives you aircon in the rear.
Number 3 is the parking heater, runs off the diesel for when you're parked up...
:thumb

Hi Sad

Thanks a lot for your reply. So the first 2 are only really for when you are travelling or for very short stops then?
If you are hooked up to the electric at a camp site, none of these will run from that? You would either need your engine running or to be using the Diesel for the parking heater? So If you want to use the hook up then you need to buy an aftermarket electric heater and plug that in.
What do people tend to do at sites? Just use the Diesel?

Cheers

Yep, 1st 2 are for driving. Option 2 is supposed to be a must if you've kids/passengers in the rear travelling in hot weather.
Option 3 is the 'camping heater', using either on/off hook-up. If you're not a winter camper - you might be able to go without. But you'll need opinions from other Beach owners on that really... On hook-up their are little electric heaters you can buy:

I had 2 and 3 in my T6 Ocean and used them both a lot so ordered them both for the Beach.
Option 2 was on permanently with the airco as I travel with 4 dogs so it helps both summer and winter.
Option 3 is perfect for pre heating / defrosting in cold winter days. And also keeping dogs warm when at winter training, so not just for camping.
If camping on hook up then a small electric heater is handy to have. But note, only the Beach Camper comes with hook up, the Beach Tourer does not have that option.

Thanks, it's a Beach Camper :)

Does the Beach Camper come with a leisure battery system?

Sorry last question..

under standard equipment it says - Electric auxiliary heater - What does this one do ? So many heaters :)

Parking heater definitely worth getting

I have to agree. I can see above its expensive on a beach but adds so much more usability to the van.

Not just for camping either.
It was 1c outside when I finished my night shift earlier, I turned on the parking heater via the remote from my office and came out to a nice warm van, love it.

I have to agree. I can see above its expensive on a beach but adds so much more usability to the van.

Not just for camping either.
It was 1c outside when I finished my night shift earlier, I turned on the parking heater via the remote from my office and came out to a nice warm van, love it.
Went round to Milford yesterday, +2 C. Fabulous views from cliff carpark of the Needles and the bay round to Anvil point, heater buzzing away whilst enjoying bacon baps/coffees from the little takeaway listening to a decent playlist on the tablet. A quiet chilly December day made memorable by the comfort of the Cali.

Sounds amazing. Are there any downsides to getting an aftermarket alternative instead for half the price?

Sounds amazing. Are there any downsides to getting an aftermarket alternative instead for half the price?
Functionally, No. But you would lose out on the 3 or 5 Yr extended VW warranty for the Factory fitted Heater and VW could make life difficult for any warranty claim regarding the vehicle fuel or electrical system. Most aftermarket heaters only have 1 or at most 2 yrs warranty.

IMO item 3 is the best option on a camper van........ever! This diesel parking heater can be used all year round if the weather is on the chilly side. If you camp in the winter months it's a must have option. They are just brilliant. They turn the van into a 365 day a year proposition and make it very comfortable.

I believe that item 2 is what has previously been called 'three zone Climatatronic air conditioning'. This is also a great option as it does as the name suggests, divides the vehicle into three zones, front cab o/s, front cab n/s and rear compartment. The rear compartment has its own control panel. If you have a Beach you will have a lot of glass area which in the summer can mean that the interior will get rather hot. If you carry kids and/or dogs having aircon in the rear is a must. Also useful for clearing condensation.

I've never had it but I believe Item 1 only supplies aircon in the front cab.

Went round to Milford yesterday, +2 C. Fabulous views from cliff carpark of the Needles and the bay round to Anvil point, heater buzzing away whilst enjoying bacon baps/coffees from the little takeaway listening to a decent playlist on the tablet. A quiet chilly December day made memorable by the comfort of the Cali.
Excellent. We enjoy so many days like that in our Beach, a Cali is not just for camping :bananadance2

We have a propane heater (large underslung LPG tank) but agree with the others re heating (diesel or LPG) in the van. Makes the van usable all year. We enjoys winter trips and most folk stay away so leaving us with loads of space with peace and quiet.

Back