Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Who will rid me of these damned headrests (Cali Ocean 2018)

Kris Emery

Kris Emery

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The head rests on the rear seats either block rear vision or when folded down take up storage space. As only two of us travel in it we do not need them for safety and I want to remove them.

Pressing the black button only adjusts the height and does not release them. I can see no other screws or buttons.

Can anyone suggest or tell how to do this?

I think there are detailed instructions in the download section

There are instructions in the VIP download section, but you need to be a VIP.
Downloads via the "Resources" button!

Last edited:

Need i say that "search" is your friend ?

I had them removed by my dealer , they asked 20-30€ or so for it so let them do it while in for maintenance

Just remember that if you remove them you will also lose the ability to use the strap to hook the kitchen table over the seat using the headrest. It's that black strap in your box of bits you were wondering about!

I wonder if removing them constitutes a modification that should be notified to insurance company and what the implications of any injuries caused by not having them would be, assuming there were rear seat passengers?

Think you also require them for MOT
Removed mine lot better for getting stuff in and out the back.

There are instructions in the VIP download section, but you need to be a VIP.
Downloads via the "Resources" button!
Not a VIP member _ as not UK resident many of the VIP advantages do not apply - so not worthwhile - sorry :-(

Removed mine via the instructions in the downloads section, very easy

The head rests on the rear seats either block rear vision or when folded down take up storage space. As only two of us travel in it we do not need them for safety and I want to remove them.

Pressing the black button only adjusts the height and does not release them. I can see no other screws or buttons.

Just remember that if you remove them you will also lose the ability to use the strap to hook the kitchen table over the seat using the headrest. It's that black strap in your box of bits you were wondering about!
I use a 3/8" drive extension from my socket set, drops in there a treat....

How much storage space do two head rests take up? Are you that tight for storage space that you can't just leave them folded down. If the answers is yes, then personally I'd start by taking a look at what I was carrying. Is everything currently carried actually necessary?

How much storage space do two head rests take up? Are you that tight for storage space that you can't just leave them folded down. If the answers is yes, then personally I'd start by taking a look at what I was carrying. Is everything currently carried actually necessary?
I have found them to impose on the space beneath the bed when folded back as intended. Any boxes filling that space will have to be moved.
I carry them in one of the shelves in the back cupboard so they are available if needed and out of the way when camping.
Making them removable covers all bases for me at least.
:cheers

You go camping with your back seat in bed mode all the time? How can you access your cupboards?
They might only take some space on the back mattress with the seat to the back.
In bed mode, you first have to pull the seat up to the front, and then lowering the backrest. A space where nothing will be if you drive with the seat to the back.

Or am I seeing this wrong?

No you don't. Just loop the the strap round the headrest casing.

You go camping with your back seat in bed mode all the time? How can you access your cupboards?
They might only take some space on the back mattress with the seat to the back.
In bed mode, you first have to pull the seat up to the front, and then lowering the backrest. A space where nothing will be if you drive with the seat to the back.

Or am I seeing this wrong?
Seat in seat mode then boxes and bags on rear shelf,
Seat in bed mode then the space into which the headrests go lessens that space for what was on rear shelf to go under the bed
Horses for courses, no one size fits all and vive la difference

No you don't. Just loop the the strap round the headrest casing.
I must be missing something here (in my head not the bus) ... never heard of arranging the table like this?

If you are carrying any solid items on the back shelf I would have thought you would definitely need the headrests to stop them flying forward in sudden deceleration.

Back