Who's Where?

DM

DM

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
who's where tonight?

We're on the edge of Cannock Chase and it's blowing a hooley. Think we'll sleep downstairs tonight and not bother with popping the roof.

who's where tonight?

We're on the edge of Cannock Chase and it's blowing a hooley. Think we'll sleep downstairs tonight and not bother with popping the roof.
Not too far from there, but snug in bed at home!
Have a good weekend @DM

Reactions: DM
Bristol last night. Back home for a belated New Year bash tonight! Its never too late;)

We were at CC Site at Stamford. It was super windy, and as there is no toilet block there it was the first outing for our portapotti and pop up toilet tent. When we unpacked the toilet tent, it soon became apparent that it didn't come with any guy ropes, despite costing forty quid! We weren't impressed. Fortunately, we had also brought the new Khyam awning to try and we pinched the guy ropes off that (which, for the record, were really cheap and nasty and will be going straight in the bin to be replaced by some better ones).

If anyone's interested, the Khyam (new compact driveaway 200) was a total pain in the bum to erect, especially in the what-felt-like-gale-force-winds we were trying to do it in, and it flapped around like billy-o in the wind which would drive me barmy. We both agreed it will be a useful addition for a long stay somewhere, but will not see much action apart from that. Hey ho, it was cheap.

The toilet tent, once secured by the guy ropes, was fabulous. Quite an experience trying to have a wee in the dark (torch off to preserve my modesty at night) with the wind trying to blow the darn thing sideways. I hope the neighbours weren't too frightened by the site of my bum being squashed against the windblown side of the tent as I turned round to perch on the pot!

To think I gave up a lovely warm caravan with integral shower and toilet for this .... I don't regret it a bit though - I love the freedom my Ocean gives me and I can just pull off the drive at will and go wherever the mood takes me with no faff!

We were at CC Site at Stamford. It was super windy, and as there is no toilet block there it was the first outing for our portapotti and pop up toilet tent. When we unpacked the toilet tent, it soon became apparent that it didn't come with any guy ropes, despite costing forty quid! We weren't impressed. Fortunately, we had also brought the new Khyam awning to try and we pinched the guy ropes off that (which, for the record, were really cheap and nasty and will be going straight in the bin to be replaced by some better ones).

If anyone's interested, the Khyam (new compact driveaway 200) was a total pain in the bum to erect, especially in the what-felt-like-gale-force-winds we were trying to do it in, and it flapped around like billy-o in the wind which would drive me barmy. We both agreed it will be a useful addition for a long stay somewhere, but will not see much action apart from that. Hey ho, it was cheap.

The toilet tent, once secured by the guy ropes, was fabulous. Quite an experience trying to have a wee in the dark (torch off to preserve my modesty at night) with the wind trying to blow the darn thing sideways. I hope the neighbours weren't too frightened by the site of my bum being squashed against the windblown side of the tent as I turned round to perch on the pot!

To think I gave up a lovely warm caravan with integral shower and toilet for this .... I don't regret it a bit though - I love the freedom my Ocean gives me and I can just pull off the drive at will and go wherever the mood takes me with no faff!

Totally with you with Khyam, very cheap quality materials, we were taken in by a special offer on their website. It's a shame as their Awnings always used to be high quality ... Sadly not any more

• Informative
who's where tonight?

Are you at the Tackeroo site in the forest? Great spot so long as you are self sufficient.

No - we spent he night at The Park Gate pub. Slightly unusual for a motor home stop in that they don't need the trade! When I rang earlier in the day to check it was ok the answer was 'yes if you can get in the car park' and ' you can only eat if you get here early - very early' . So we ended up cooking in the van whilst we waited for a suitable parking space to become available and only made it into the pub for a late drink.

Totally with you with Khyam, very cheap quality materials, we were taken in by a special offer on their website. It's a shame as their Awnings always used to be high quality ... Sadly not any more
Sorry to hear Khyam quality has gone downhill. We had a couple of their quick erect tents over the years and they were fantastic. Last purchase was over 10 years ago though.

super windy
Yes - stayed that way all weekend. We spent last night at the National Trust site in Ilam in the Staffordshire Peak District (I'll be honest I didn't know that part of the Peaks is in Staffs). Great site but apparently they plan to close it at the end of the season to increase the car park to accommodate 600 cars. Real shame.

Had to lower the roof this morning in strongest winds we've used it in. It came down sweet as anything on the basis of the original folds. I'm not sure if the bungee has done the trick or if the new T6 canvas is just that bit stiffer.

Great walk along Dovedale and back over the tops. But really shocked at the quantity of litter and particularly the bags of dog waste chucked by the side of the path or even hung in trees . Why why why? :mad::(:mad::(

Last edited:
We put the roof down on Friday night, but left it up Saturday. We had our first almost mess up when my husband walking round checking the roof as it went down noticed that the front had folded 'out' rather than 'in', presumably due to the strong wind. Fortunately we noticed in good time and sorted it before any damage was done. We haven't got a bungee but I wonder if we should get one ...

checking the roof
I always bring it down the first two thirds with my head in the roof-space - that way you can check it's all folding inwards and help it out if necessary. I always have a final check around the outside as well though when there's about 6" to go.

We put the roof down on Friday night, but left it up Saturday. We had our first almost mess up when my husband walking round checking the roof as it went down noticed that the front had folded 'out' rather than 'in', presumably due to the strong wind. Fortunately we noticed in good time and sorted it before any damage was done. We haven't got a bungee but I wonder if we should get one ...

A bungee feels good and helps when the wind blows, but does not completely eliminate the need for control when the roof is lowered.

There's something fatalistic about sticking your head up through the hatch as your finger is on the button lowering the roof toward your head....

There's something fatalistic about sticking your head up through the hatch as your finger is on the button lowering the roof toward your head....
Haha - I've not let it hit my head yet. Or perhaps I have ........

Yes - I always wait and check. Probably best to leave it to one person checking - I assumed husband had noticed any problems and he assumed I had. We got there in time. I feel more in control when I'm camping on my own because I'm a bit of an anorak and check everything 14 times!!! Plus I'm a control freak.

Back