Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter evenings

AlanH99

AlanH99

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
What do you do in the evenings?
This is our first winter with the camper van and up till now we've managed to fill our days and evenings with walks, theatres, cinemas etc. But now the evenings are drawing in I don't know how to spend the time between dusk and bedtime. We'll find theatres, cinemas and pubs for some of the evenings but not for every night of week. What do you seasoned campers find to do to fill the time?
We'll be in the north of England for eight days but are not committed to staying in one particular place.
AlanH99

G+T's . Films on the iPad, practice riffs on the Strat, read, cook, bit of bus-love if the mood takes us, take the mickey out of caravaners……..the list goes on.

Pack some board games. We always try to download stuff on the tab/ipad and have reading material of some sort.

Pub's tend to play an important role here.....
And a very good head-torch to find your way back.

Pubs yes......and vin rouge and...vin rouge....

Pub, read books, browse maps for tomorrows walks, movie on laptop, cook, eat, drink. And I never feel guilty about a (very) early night!

We have a 150* board games compendium in a box type thing, which is good, although my current favourite game is the free to download Mapple.

*might be less than that.

We have lots of card games and board games eg Monopoly cards, travel Ticket to ride, travel Settlers of the Catan, love letter the hobbit version, Bananagrams, Monty Python Flux, Canasta, Bezique (amazing 2 player game) and Boggle.
Lots of fun.

I must say it's not much fun squashed in a Cali when it starts to go dark at 4.30pm. It does have it's limitations!

You don't have to stay in the van every night though, why not occasionally pick out a nice pub B & B or similar and have the best of both worlds - mobile cafe and changing room during the day and cosy B & B or hotel in the evenings ...

There can be something quite magical about a winters evening in a Cali. All snug and warm with the weather howling it's worst outside.

It can also be the most uncomfortable, claustrophobic experience being shut in, sheltering from wind, rain, cold and dark for about 8 hours until sleep brings blessed relief.

It depends how long but when I spent 10 days in the far west and North of the Scottish mainland last January I needed at least one day in four at a Britstop, warm, eating out, talking to people.

Otherwise I was very busy, normally not parking up until well after dark, had lots of warm food on the go in various 12v gadgets, nice wine, lovely music and a pre-downloaded selection of films to watch. I had plenty to do, notes to write up, website to maintain, photo's to process and connection to a forum where I can deposit silly trivial messages all night long :D

Being on my own I had plenty of space. Overall it was a positive, enjoyable experience.

Buy a Kindle = 100's of books and epic battery life in a very small package.

We have lots of card games and board games eg Monopoly cards, travel Ticket to ride, travel Settlers of the Catan, love letter the hobbit version, Bananagrams, Monty Python Flux, Canasta, Bezique (amazing 2 player game) and Boggle.
Lots of fun.

and I bet your son wins at everything :D

Hmm. C
Someone recommended this one to me but I couldn't work out if you could play it with 2 players. Can you?
Checked the box and rules and it doesn't say. We'll have a go tonight and let you know. I suspect it's better with 3 as you are forced into conflict more!

Someone recommended this one to me but I couldn't work out if you could play it with 2 players. Can you?
We think it's a 3-4 player game in the travel version.
The full game has an expansion set so that you can play it with 2.
It's a great game.

Travel Blokkus is a good game for 2.

My daughter is learning the ukulele, nice and small to take in the cali, if you have internet access you could start researching your family tree, addictive, you can dip in and out, we have lots of games, reminiscing and just talking, manicure, maps planning our next big trip, hot chocolate with marshmallows etc etc spotting deer, bats, owls etc.....magical all cosy, fluffy blankets, hot water bottles, heating, can't wait to go again......

We think it's a 3-4 player game in the travel version.
The full game has an expansion set so that you can play it with 2.
It's a great game.

Travel Blokkus is a good game for 2.

Thanks. I've never played this type of game, so I was quite curious. But there are only the two of us. Might take a look at the Carcassonne games, I think they are similar and do state 2 players.

Thanks. I've never played this type of game, so I was quite curious. But there are only the two of us. Might take a look at the Carcassonne games, I think they are similar and do state 2 players.
Carcasonne is fun too. It can be a challenge fitting even the basic set on the table. Van rules are that if the pieces don't fit on the table then you can't play it!

Thanks, bought Carcasonne and it looks great.

Dominion is a great board game, also love backgammon, bananagrams ( very addictive and it's almost like the Cali table was made for it!) I like a bit of Cali crochet, Steve is not so keen!

Ingenious is a good board game. Can have a really good game with 2-4 players.
Carcasonne is also great, and even better with the expansions.

Ingenious is a good board game. Can have a really good game with 2-4 players.
Carcasonne is also great, and even better with the expansions.
We love Ingenious too. Bit of a big box though?
Our favourite Carcasonne expansion is the "Princess and the Dragon" chaotic and mischievious...