Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter Hibernation

Hi Matt, do you have an pics of the start up heater? I am not sure if this is a standard fitment on Exclusives but mine has a unit under the bonnet near the battery which looks like a pre heater.

I also have a random looking rocker switch on the dash that looks like it was an owner fitment but I cannot see that it does anything. The dealer I got it from traced the wires from the switch to the fuse box and that is as far as they got.

I think it could be for the heater but no idea if it works!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Matt, do you have an pics of the start up heater? I am not sure if this is a standard fitment on Exclusives but mine has a unit under the bonnet near the battery which looks like a pre heater.

I also have a random looking rocker switch on the dash that looks like it was an owner fitment but I cannot see that it does anything. The dealer I got it from traced the wires from the switch to the fuse box and that is as far as they got.

I think it could be for the heater but no idea if it works!
I wonder if mine was fitted later on perhaps. I'm back offshore now for two weeks but i'll get some photos as soon as I get back. It sounds like yours is the same as mine. Its an Eberspacher D3. I did a bot of digging and most caravelles have them as the heating system takes to long to warm up due to a double matrix (I think) so that just helps the heat some quicker. Its just a water heater for the coolant. I had one on my T3 syncro too. They were supposed to work on a thermal switch but I cant find one on mine and its just got the toggle switch like yours. Give yours a try and it warms up in just a few minutes with the exhaust puffing out down my the drivers side.

Winter is pretty much over now and the snow is starting to melt. Fun time ahead. Just put a new stereo in because FM will be dead in Norway next year. I think the new head unit is trying to kill me though!
d17546f826a8757ae162cb9039f1c4c0.jpg

Bra time too. The bonnet and all the nose bits need a good respray. The lacquer is peeling off all over and the stone chips are a sight to behold! This will get me through the summer. I've also dug out the mud flaps that were hidden in the back.
d68e6fc4e4488f83d602cc1f29de24cb.jpg

7a2d9ce2729a4adde69d6a8d2f078c26.jpg

Back in the UK now and time to tend to my other baby. Syd the Syncro has been treated to some boiled linseed oil on the bumpers to make them look respectable again. I'll be using this on the smurf when I get back now I've translated linseed
f5fd94786ba0ccc64c44fff18e881c2e.jpg

Your mention of Linseed oil got me Googling, as my bumpers and side panels (rear side windows) are letting down my van after I've had the paint flaws fixed. Gtechniq C4 seems to be highly rated and longer lasting than linseed (although about 20 times the price). Still may be tempted. Let us know how long the new blackness lasts!

Your mention of Linseed oil got me Googling, as my bumpers and side panels (rear side windows) are letting down my van after I've had the paint flaws fixed. Gtechniq C4 seems to be highly rated and longer lasting than linseed (although about 20 times the price). Still may be tempted. Let us know how long the new blackness lasts!
Cool beans I'm not sure about the side panels. Aren't they more textured than the bumpers? I'd need to do a little test with them. I'm going to try one of the steel wheel centre caps perhaps. I'd used a heat gun last year but it hasn't lasted as long as I'd hoped and I'm resisting the recent fad of cherry blossom shoe polish.

This was the next stuff to try. Apparently it's good for the whiter mouldy in the bumpers.
39921b3622e6eefa0f28c82a40d2d8e0.jpg

You could try this method using a Heat Gun on the Black Plastic Trim and Bumpers.... Used a lot by members of the other T4/T5 forum.

I've already tried that last year. It works really good but you can only use it once. It lasted about 6 months so it didn't last as long as i hoped. Some of the marks didn't come out either. The linseed oil has been the best so far.