Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter insulation

N

Neelo19701976

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi folks

I have my Beach for over a year now and want to get more use out of it this autumn and winter. Can someone recommend some insulation for the roof and living space.
I would appreciate some guidance

Many thanks
Niall McFerran

Hi folks

I have my Beach for over a year now and want to get more use out of it this autumn and winter. Can someone recommend some insulation for the roof and living space.
I would appreciate some guidance

Many thanks
Niall McFerran
Do you not have the Diesel Parking Heater?

Comfortz wrap is good.

On the topic of insulation, doubtless someone will come along to talk about isotop (?) liners at some point, but it occurred to me recently the newer (03S and on) bellows are significantly more bulky - is there still space for an isotop given the new bellows seem pretty tightly compressed?

Unfortunately not. My beach is bog standard. Are you able to retro fit this?
Many thanks for the reply
Niall
Yes. Prices vary from £500 to £1000. Depending who you go to but not VW who’ll expect an arm and a leg.
Any good Conversion company could fit one. Normal position is under the vehicle below drivers seat RHD.
Californias have NO body panel insulation as basically the Parking Heater does the job keeping the interior warm and dry.
The standard heater fitted is an Eberspacher but VW have used Webasto in the past and other makes are used also by some converters.

If you always use campsites and you have a Mains EHU connection on your Beach then you could use an electric mains heater, oil filled radiator or electric camping fan heater.

Last edited:
Comfortz wrap is good.

On the topic of insulation, doubtless someone will come along to talk about isotop (?) liners at some point, but it occurred to me recently the newer (03S and on) bellows are significantly more bulky - is there still space for an isotop given the new bellows seem pretty tightly compressed?
The isotop does fit and I have 03s I also have a rainbow pop top thermal cover that Vw paid for within a week of me sending them the invoice.

Brandrup Isotop liner in the pop top, makes a huge difference. As mentioned previously, diesel heater if off grid a lot or electric heater or blanket etc on hook up.

Yes. Prices vary from £500 to £1000. Depending who you go to but not VW who’ll expect an arm and a leg.
Any good Conversion company could fit one. Normal position is under the vehicle below drivers seat RHD.
Californias have NO body panel insulation as basically the Parking Heater does the job keeping the interior warm and dry.
The standard heater fitted is an Eberspacher but VW have used Webasto in the past and other makes are used also by some converters.

If you always use campsites and you have a Mains EHU connection on your Beach then you could use an electric mains heater, oil filled radiator or electric camping fan heater.

Many thanks for solid advice.
Need to do my research to find someone local in Ireland who can do the work.
Much appreciated
Regards
Niall

An example of heating options

HGV use Eberspacher for cab heating, your local HGV dealer might be able to help, Volvo etc.

Whether or not an isotop liner would fit on the newer bellows might depend just how new they are I think. We hired a van with the newer leaking bellows last summer and it wasn't too hard to shut the roof hatch. However, the 03s bellows that came with our new van last autumn seemed thicker and it was always a real struggle to close the roof hatch, I wouldn't want the additional bulk of a liner with these. Now we've had these replaced with 05s and it might be even worse - VW had closed the hatch after fitting the new bellows but I struggled hugely to open the hatch again. I nearly turned around and drove back to the garage (as we were only camping half-an-hour drive away) as I thought I'd never get the hatch open - I did eventually force it open, but haven't bothered since to try to fit the bellows back in the hatch and fully close it. We just leave it partially open these days (probably helps that we're both fairly short - I'm 5'2, husband 5'8 so we're not hitting our heads on them).

Back