£37k Beaches

• Thread starter Benny Saltstein
  • Start date
B

Benny Saltstein

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi all,

I’ve been reading this forum for many years as a Beach has always been on my mind. This is my first post as I’m now at the point of taking the plunge into ownership and am wondering what the general consensus is on the various DSG Beaches currently on sale at around £37-38k at Motorpoint and also in the VW DasWelt scheme.

I appreciate their spec is fairly modest with only the basic aircon, some have no parking sensors, no MFSW. I’ve seen a few in the VW network and the condition is close to new, sub 10k miles, 6-12 months old. Some include the cooler or two additional seats which is an attractive option as we’d be replacing a seven seater whose capacity is fully utilised on a regular basis. We do a reasonable amount of camping each year, a dog, bikes etc so feel it suits our life style.

My initial discussions with dealers suggest that £37k was as low as they’ll go. There was a white 7 seater on Motorpoint at £36k which went almost as soon as it was listed. I’ve more or less convinced myself and the family are definitely keen but was looking for some reassurance.

Thank you all

No affiliation. Not DSG. But a stunning spec and accessories listed by a member here. Food for thought?

BW
David.

No affiliation. Not DSG. But a stunning spec and accessories listed by a member here. Food for thought?

BW
David.

It is an amazing package there for someone. I am really keen to have the auto and prefer the lighter interiors. Thank you for the link though.

Looks like a great Beach with many extras.

Hi all,

I’ve been reading this forum for many years as a Beach has always been on my mind. This is my first post as I’m now at the point of taking the plunge into ownership and am wondering what the general consensus is on the various DSG Beaches currently on sale at around £37-38k at Motorpoint and also in the VW DasWelt scheme.

I appreciate their spec is fairly modest with only the basic aircon, some have no parking sensors, no MFSW. I’ve seen a few in the VW network and the condition is close to new, sub 10k miles, 6-12 months old. Some include the cooler or two additional seats which is an attractive option as we’d be replacing a seven seater whose capacity is fully utilised on a regular basis. We do a reasonable amount of camping each year, a dog, bikes etc so feel it suits our life style.

My initial discussions with dealers suggest that £37k was as low as they’ll go. There was a white 7 seater on Motorpoint at £36k which went almost as soon as it was listed. I’ve more or less convinced myself and the family are definitely keen but was looking for some reassurance.
Many people will cite several of the Beach options as essential. I don't think that any of the options are essential. It all depends on how you use the van.
Three zone air conditioning is desirable if you will be doing much driving in hot climates with passengers in the rear. But I remember many happy camping holidays in southern Europe in the summer in the 70s in cars with no air conditioning at all. No one died.
Parking sensors help, the reversing camera is a luxury. If in doubt and you have no passenger to direct you, get out and look.
We use our parking heater occasionally. It's very good for defrosting the car while I am having my breakfast. I think we have only used it a handful of times when sleeping would have been uncomfortable with the bedding we have, most notably high in the Pyrenees in November. But a four season sleeping bag, woolen socks and a hat would serve a similar purpose. Parking heaters can be retrofitted.
The awning defines the vehicle as a campervan, but all it really does is provide a sun shade. You can create the same effect with a tarp. Again, it can be retrofitted.
All the functions of the MFSW are available without the MFSW, all the MFSW does is make it easier to use the functions.
I absolutely love my adaptive cruise control and would spec it on any new Beach. But I drove many tens of thousands of miles in cars before I had adaptive cruise control. It's a luxury which you won't miss if you have never had it.
A mattress probably is close to essential if you want to use the bench seat as a bed. We used an Ikea mattress topper for three months and the Brandrup mattress for a further nine months. You don't need to use the VW mattress for a comfortable night.
The extra seats are only useful if you will need to take six or seven people in your vehicle.
The VW cooler is a rapid drain on your battery when you are parked off grid. If you intend to camp without being hooked up and need a fridge, buy a much more expensive compressor fridge which will be much easier on your leisure battery.

Even though they are low spec, at 37k i can’t see you loosing much.

It will take at least 5 years to lose 10 grand but a 37 grand Merc will lose that in 10 mins.

Obviously it will still drop in value as soon as you pick it up but it will stabilise at around 30 / 32 grand for a fair while!

BW
David.
Looks a good buy for someone :bananadance2

You dont need lots of kit to enjoy a Beach - i love the parking heater but this can be retro fitted to almost factory standard - for less money than a factory fit. I have had mine 4 years and enjoy dreaming up new storage and operational add ons

37k is a great price for a new beach. I bought my previous car from motorpoint and got a good deal so I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from them.

I guess it depends on how much you like any extras you can’t fit afterwards. I bought a 3 year old beach with loads of extras for not much less. Things like heated seats and windscreen are great and I’m glad I have them but I’d survive without. Lots of things - parking camera, steering wheel, heater etc can be added. Ours is my car as well so sensors and rear camera are essentials for me.

Even though we had a fair amount of camping stuff, we found with four of us we have had to buy new - the old stuff we had was bulky and made trips harder work trying to fit it all in! Buying a fridge, cooker, awning and bedding didnt leave change from 1k so that does need to be budgeted for!:)

Motorpoint has lots of 19 reg Beach 150 dsg with sensors, cruise, nav, e/m, etc for less than 37K. Bargain prices to me, they only need an aftermarket heater fitted imo which is no problem. With no T6.1 Beach on the horizon for Uk buyers I'm surprised they are not being snapped up instantly.

Hello Benny,
What are you waiting for?

Unless you buy a left hand drive Beach in Europe, there will be no more new right hand drive Beaches, at least for the time being. So if you really want one don't hang about. The prices you have been quoted for basic nearly new Beaches seem about right to me but remember that most of them are very basic. If you are after something with a more generous spec then move very quickly once you've found what you are looking for. Reasonably priced, well specced Beaches sell quickly, very quickly.

These vehicles are so versatile that there is very little that they cannot do equally well and in most cases much better than the vast majority of family vehicles. The main defining difference between the Beach and other family oriented passenger carrying vehicles is that rather than being very good a one or two applications the Beach is excellent at almost anything a family can throw at it. In seven seater form you have the most flexible and adaptable version possible. Also, having owned both flavours of California I personally think that with the right kit and stowage plan, the seven seater Beach is a much better vehicle for family use than it's full fat camper counterpart. To add to that, it is much less complicated so more reliable in the long term. As a camper, there is nothing you cannot do in a Beach that you could in an SE/Coast/Ocean.

My point is that whereas most people dismiss the Beach as being an entry level California "day van", there is a growing group of people that have come to realise it's full potential. So if you want a good one, buy now.

Good luck from a seven seat Beach owner.

If I didn't already have a Beach I'd be looking at these :)

The only thing I'd really not like to be without is the reversing camera as I do like reversing into small spaces, and CarPlay.

It’s a tough call, it’s a good price. It’s also a good price for a reason, most folks want a few extras. I think if 37k is top budget and previously a new beach was out of budget then go for it.

If you’ve got a few more grand then I’d look for one at a VW dealer with a few nice bits on and haggle. You’ll have to be quick though I reckon!

The £37k beach will give you 99% of the functionality and enjoyment of having a California. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benny,

All VW dealers have been told by VW head office to offload all stock of the older vrsion T6 California and offering over 20% discount. We just picked up a brand new Cali Ocean for a steal, by playing off 2 VW dealer. Shop around and find the spec you want. However, they are selling really fast.

Benny,

All VW dealers have been told by VW head office to offload all stock of the older vrsion T6 California and offering over 20% discount. We just picked up a brand new Cali Ocean for a steal, by playing off 2 VW dealer. Shop around and find the spec you want. However, they are selling really fast.

Do you think 20% is achievable on a Beach? I'm being offered £37k on a 7 seater at a VW dealer currently. Includes parking sensors, Discovery nav, app connect but thats about it.

I suspect 20% off the original list price with the options (the one we bought was 20% under). I doubt you will get it any cheaper - and it sounds a better spec than many of the cheaper beaches

So all new vehicles after 2035 will be fully electric....... I don't think so!

No, just no new petrol, diesel, hybrid vehicles produced after 2035; Petrol and Diesel fuel will still be available, but how that fuel or vehicle will be taxed is not known yet.

Thank for that link. The Beach I'm looking at would have listed at £52k last year which is an eye-opener. Admittedly its not brand new but it might as well be.
Once they are gone, they are gone, no more Beaches. If you want one dive in at £37k for a huge saving on list. People are trying to sell 3 year old ones for this price. You can always add bigger alloys, heater etc. on afterwards. It will hold it's money well and you will have a ball with it. :thumb

So all new vehicles after 2035 will be fully electric....... I don't think so!
I think it is plausible that battery technology will have moved sufficiently over fifteen years and that there will be sufficient charging capacity. Already we are beginning to see the end of the petrol city car. The Skoda Citigo, for example, is now only available in electric.

The base beach is quite basic, certainly the Ocean has a lot of std features that the Beach doesn't. Most, if not all can be added on, the most expensive being LED lights and the Parking heater. The latter isn't quite as neat as a retrofit but most people don't seem bothered. The rest of the options like lights can be added for a cost (a high cost), towbar etc if you need it. Some simply can't like the uprated brakes and chassis which are quite helpful, this gives it the same size brakes as the Ocean. Wheels and cosmetic stuff can be added, folding mirrors and heated seats etc are harder. So it's really down to what you will use it for and what you care about.
EDIT: And honestly, if you drive at night a lot and/or are rural do try and drive it in the dark as the std lights are absolutely Grade A terrible.

We bought a nearly new beach, 4 seater, basic air con, app connect, cruise, green tint windows for around that price last summer. I think ours was just over a year old with 3000 miles on it. Very happy with it. Considering retro fit heater and solar panel. We had a 72 VW camper before with no kitchen so were happy that we wouldn't want to cook indoors, although we have the kit to if we want something simple indoors. Its such a versatile vehicle. Dash top, and top of door cards aren't squidgy but are robust for outdoor lifestyle. The light interior looks nice but gets grubby, I'll be valeting now and again. I'm not expecting to take a massive hit on depreciation, any that I do will be a fair price for the trips we'll be having etc. VW threw in a downstairs topper and a 4 bike rack. No budge on price.

Back