Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

£5k deposit, discount, and things dealers can do

F

flymartin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Just about to order my Beach Camper! Dealer has offered just under 9% discount and tells me that VW now charges a £5k non-refundable deposit on order.

Is everyone now being asked to pay £5k deposit? I have seen posts with £1,000 or even £500 deposits being paid..

Given the current VW policy of not guaranteeing the final price for new orders, I assume they’ll refund my deposit if I don’t accept a future price rise and choose to cancel.

Is 9% a good discount? Any way to get discount off Options?

Perhaps instead of more discount is there anything intelligent I can ask the dealer to do around the price uncertainty - like absorb the first x% of any future price rise, or absorb up to £2k. Or any other ideas?

Thanks all - excited to soon be joining the club!

Just about to order my Beach Camper! Dealer has offered just under 9% discount and tells me that VW now charges a £5k non-refundable deposit on order.

Is everyone now being asked to pay £5k deposit? I have seen posts with £1,000 or even £500 deposits being paid..

Given the current VW policy of not guaranteeing the final price for new orders, I assume they’ll refund my deposit if I don’t accept a future price rise and choose to cancel.

Perhaps instead of more discount is there anything intelligent I can ask the dealer to do around the price uncertainty - like absorb the first x% of any future price rise, or absorb up to £2k. Or any other ideas?

My experience is a year old now, so not qualified to comment. But easily checked by getting quotes from the brokers. AutoEbid etc
A few clicks should tell you if that is now the norm.

I have only purchased from one dealer and £500 was the norm.

I ordered an Ocean in June, spoke to two dealers who both wanted £500 deposit, one said it was refundable until such time as the vehicle had a confirmed build slot, didn't ask the other (or he didn't say).

9% seems about right discount wise - most people are around 8% area I think, mine was - but given the base price goes up 3% on 1st Dec (options 2%) and likely another price rise in Spring, you're probably going to get 4% - 5% of that absorbed.

All you can do is chat to the dealer I guess.

I have just paid £1,000 deposit for my Ocean.

With such long lead times and final price not guaranteed then I can see a £5000 deposit being the norm to avoid time wasters..

With such long lead times and final price not guaranteed then I can see a £5000 deposit being the norm to avoid time wasters..
Without a fixed sales price combined with an inability to deliver. You could argue that VW are wasting the buyers time.

(….but great news for 2nd hand values!)

Last edited:
Without a fixed sales price combined with an inability to deliver. You could argue that VW are wasting the buyers time.

(….but great news for 2nd hand values!)
They could just close the order book.
We are in unusual times, by any stretch of the imagination, especially with the distinct possibilities of more lockdowns on the horizon in Europe and elsewhere.

” 2nd hand values “ well it depends if you are just selling or upgrading. In fact Insurance could go up because of the increasing rather than depreciating value. Who knows.

If it is going to be £5000 and 12 month wait, they should have to put it in a high interest account.

I was asked to pay 10% of the value including extras being a final price and was told regardless of prices increase it will not affect my final price. Which is good as we have had two price increase since I put in my order now over 12 months.
My intention is to ask for some sort of discount at the end, as already they came back to me and offered to pay the deposit back because of the time it is taking, but that would stop the order altogether.

these are mythical these days .. even locking it away for years gets you no more than 1% pa
Yes but that will likely change this year. Even if it was enough to fill the tank, it would be better than nothing.

I ordered in Portugal in October, 10% discount and i only had to deposit 2000 euros, according to dealer the price is protected

I had a 5k deposit and similar discount. Ordered about a month ago.

Paid £5k deposit on credit card at Breeze with an 4% discount on Beech including options.

I believe VW have instructed dealers to refund deposits if any price increase that isn’t price protected makes the purchase no longer affordable for the buyer when the delivered price is known.

I believe VW have instructed dealers to refund deposits if any price increase that isn’t price protected makes the purchase no longer affordable for the buyer when the delivered price is known.
That’s good to know. Might apply to me.

how your relationship is with you vw dealer?

I am California number 3 and if is I desire order another, dealer tells to me I am not require pay deposit, only make order specification and then is waiting arrive.

Paid £5k deposit on credit card at Breeze with an 4% discount on Beech including options.
5k deposit & only 4%? Is this really the norm now?

Ordered today and was a 1K deposit

I paid the £5k deposit this week at Breeze and my understanding is that if VW changes the price then that would be considered reasonable grounds for cancelling the order and refunding the deposit. Although I don’t have that in writing and and so my backup would be to just pay whatever they demand and then sell on immediately if it’s beyond my means at the time!

Thanks for all the thoughts on this thread- I’m excited now to have joined the queue!

To revive an old thread. What deposits are dealers asking for at present, please? Just been asked for £5000. Other dealers are asking £500. Thanks

To revive an old thread. What deposits are dealers asking for at present, please? Just been asked for £5000. Other dealers are asking £500. Thanks
I believe it's 1K. 5K is taking the widdle.

Back