Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

1.5 metres

Are you for real??? Common sense when on a bike you should pull in to stop any potential accidents. And yes I do ride a bike! People need to get a brain in this world, no wonder this country is in a sh@t state with the ridiculous thoughts of people.

Anyway happy new year to the normal people in this world
I agree with @soulstyledevon 's sentiment here https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/1-5-metres.28102/page-3#post-323268. Sadly this is very much "for real". As an occasional urban cyclist, I really wish it wasn't.

Happy new year :)

Road tax, insurance and a licence plate is what is needed, in the summer a cyclist took off the wife's mirror at traffic lights. He knew what he did and we shouted for him to stop but we were just given the finger.
Yeah well that sort of inconsiderate behaviour gets all cyclists a bad name. It's not the fact that the person was riding a bike that's the problem though... it's the fact that they think they could get away with it. I have had a wing mirror smashed off too once... but that was by a driver coming the other way very fast on a narrow road... did they stop and offer to pay...? No, they didn't.

Road tax often comes up in these debates too... the correct name for it is vehicle exise duty and the money it raises just goes into the general exchequer... it is not ring-fenced for Highways spending. In any case I cycle and between me and my wife we own, run and tax 3 vehicles including the Cali, but very often they sit at home as we walk (or cycle) when we can. Most cyclists also pay VED on at least one car, so by not using their cars on their selected journey, they are actually saving some longer-term wear and tear and more tangeable capacity-relief on the roads (despite having paid for that provision). So, especially in urban areas with high cylcing uptake, collectively cyclists may just be actually doing you a favour by making your journey less congested and reducing the overall highways maintenance bill!

Cycling has to be part of the future of the low emmissions economy that we so obviously need.

We will argue this until blue in the face!! If we all took a trip with the Cali to The Netherlands , (DO IT!!) you can see how it WORKS over there! It is awesome.. entire families out and about feeling extremely safe!! Helmets not required!! Own lanes and even traffic lights!! I have a cali and several bikes, I want to enjoy and survive both!! Shame we are years behind in both infrastructure and pig headed mentality from all road users inc cyclists!! We will never live together in the UK until both change!! As a fire officer unfortunately I see the aftermath of both sides getting it wrong,,and trust me it is life changing for both sides involved and emergency workers when it goes wrong!! We have to change for the sake of the planet and safety of all..The car culture of the UK is disgusting!! Myself as well, because I dare not commute on my cycle..
Please book a trip to The flatlands, and make your own observations!! Yes It ain't perfect but not far from it!!

Agree with Birty - the Netherlands is a worldwide exemplar of excellent practice for traffic management. Both in high quality engineering that prioritises pedestrians and cyclists, but also in the general culture. I once asked a local how they have achieved a culture that respects cyclists so much... it took him a while to understand the question and when he did it was along the lines that it should be obvious!

It's amazing when you approach a roundabout on a bike there and the traffic simply stops!

I'm afraid it's beyond me how anyone could seriously question a guideline or law for a 1.5m minimum passing distance above a certain speed. It happens now in several countries - I've seen the signs in France and Spain, for example. Less than this is life threatening behavior, not just an irritant or a scratch, so the enforcement action is already happening in several areas of the UK is surely a good thing.

I spotted this whilst driving through Brussels today,
I was wondering how the hand signal would go down in Blighty. :)IMG_5415.PNG

As someone who lives miles from public transport (and then it is infrequent and unreliable at best since the demise of the post bus) I would say the car culture is neither disgusting or unwelcome. I take my Brompton in the boot and use where practical but the use of a car is essential. The Netherlands is flat and the authorities planned the system specific to the land. It is not flat here!
Regretfully we have not had the foresight to plan for the future and we just reduce narrow roads to accommodate cyclists. Bad engineering is just making matters worse.
I am all for the cities getting the budget to re design the road layouts and widen the carriageways as that is where the future of cycling will make best sense.

It ain't rocket science ... it's a shared space, so share it.
I totally agree that there are a lot of people who ride bicycles in major city's who don't have a clue ( probably don't drive which doesn't help) but that doesn't mean that when I'm out tapping away at the weekend you should carve me up.
Oh, and I have insurance AND the "road tax" I'm paying on my 6 vehicles that are sat doing nothing whilst I'm cycling more than cover my impact to YOUR highway.

If anyone feels guilty ;) about not paying road tax for your bicycle then you can make a donation, single or monthly, to Sustrans who will make very good use of it. The government has made a commitment to match whatever Sustrans can raise themselves in donations.

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/

I currently donate £7 monthly, which adds up to more than what many motorists are paying for their low emission cars (prior to recent DVLA RFL changes). And about the same as a large motorbike!

If anyone feels guilty ;) about not paying road tax for your bicycle then you can make a donation, single or monthly, to Sustrans who will make very good use of it. The government has made a commitment to match whatever Sustrans can raise themselves in donations.

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/

I currently donate £7 monthly, which adds up to more than what many motorists are paying for their low emission cars (prior to recent DVLA RFL changes). And about the same as a large motorbike!
People feel guilty for not paying tax, who knew.

Yeah well that sort of inconsiderate behaviour gets all cyclists a bad name. It's not the fact that the person was riding a bike that's the problem though... it's the fact that they think they could get away with it. I have had a wing mirror smashed off too once... but that was by a driver coming the other way very fast on a narrow road... did they stop and offer to pay...? No, they didn't.

Road tax often comes up in these debates too... the correct name for it is vehicle exise duty and the money it raises just goes into the general exchequer... it is not ring-fenced for Highways spending. In any case I cycle and between me and my wife we own, run and tax 3 vehicles including the Cali, but very often they sit at home as we walk (or cycle) when we can. Most cyclists also pay VED on at least one car, so by not using their cars on their selected journey, they are actually saving some longer-term wear and tear and more tangeable capacity-relief on the roads (despite having paid for that provision). So, especially in urban areas with high cylcing uptake, collectively cyclists may just be actually doing you a favour by making your journey less congested and reducing the overall highways maintenance bill!

Cycling has to be part of the future of the low emmissions economy that we so obviously need.
I don't get the rd tax argument when it's based on emissions. Cali owners especially know this. Last time I looked my mountain bike didn't have an exhaust pipe to check for nox

The emissions from my lentil / pulse eating, vegan cyclist work colleague are considerably worse than anything thats ever come out of a cali exhaust.

He thinks nothing of cycling from Oxford to London & back for a 1/2 hour meeting.

I don't get the rd tax argument when it's based on emissions. Cali owners especially know this. Last time I looked my mountain bike didn't have an exhaust pipe to check for nox
When I ride my bike instead of driving, I'm choosing the zero emissions option so the government should be giving me credits toward my high Cali VED that I'm choosing to not use that day :thumb

When I ride my bike instead of driving, I'm choosing the zero emissions option so the government should be giving me credits toward my high Cali VED that I'm choosing to not use that day :thumb

That’s some forward thinking.
Great idea

Back