Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

1st post - New 2017 Cali ordered

Cjw

Cjw

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Just took the plunge and placed the order.....anything missing? I just hope the Cali works as my everyday driver as I'm swapping my ultimate car for it!

204PS DSG 4MOTION
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) including Front Assist and City Emergency Braking (Max speed 99mph)
  • LED headlamps with LED daytime running lights (Tailgate) with red tail lights
  • Lights & Vision package
  • Guide & Inform-Contract duration: 3 years, 1 year FOC
  • Leather multi-function sports steering wheel and gearshift knob with radio, telephone and display controls
  • Discover Media Navigation system plus
  • Towbar; removable/lockable (incl. trailer stabilisation)
  • SD card (Europe)
  • Cupboard in Dark Wood with outdoor shower connection
  • Front and rear parking sensors with rear-view camera
  • Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat (Beach: bed enlargement including storage compartment)
  • Awning (housing and rail in black)
  • Tyres 255/45 R18 103H XL with optimised rolling resistance
  • Tyre mobility kit in lieu of spare wheel:12-volt compressor and tyre sealant
  • Green heat insulating glass in cab with double glazed green privacy glass in the passenger compartment
  • Magnetic flashlight
  • Headlamp washer system with heated front washer nozzles and washer fluid level indicator
  • Mud flaps front and rear
  • Premium Bluetooth phone interface with wireless aerial and Wi-Fi connectivity (requires wireless network connection)
  • Heated front windscreen
  • Acapulco Blue Metallic
  • 18" Toluca alloy wheels 8J x 18
  • Moon Rock/Titanium Black - Moon Rock Grey/Moon Rock

We swapped our car for the Cali and haven't regretted it once!

The only thing I can see missing is maybe App Connect?

We swapped our car for the Cali and haven't regretted it once!

The only thing I can see missing is maybe App Connect?

Thanks for the reply to my virgin post! Apparently App Connect comes with the Discover Media Navigation......so the dealer says.

I have been spoilt by a Range Rover Sport 2014, but the Cali has been calling since we accidentally bumped into one at a show. It may be a mid life crisis though.

Just took the plunge and placed the order.....anything missing? I just hope the Cali works as my everyday driver as I'm swapping my ultimate car for it!

204PS DSG 4MOTION
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) including Front Assist and City Emergency Braking (Max speed 99mph)
  • LED headlamps with LED daytime running lights (Tailgate) with red tail lights
  • Lights & Vision package
  • Guide & Inform-Contract duration: 3 years, 1 year FOC
  • Leather multi-function sports steering wheel and gearshift knob with radio, telephone and display controls
  • Discover Media Navigation system plus
  • Towbar; removable/lockable (incl. trailer stabilisation)
  • SD card (Europe)
  • Cupboard in Dark Wood with outdoor shower connection
  • Front and rear parking sensors with rear-view camera
  • Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat (Beach: bed enlargement including storage compartment)
  • Awning (housing and rail in black)
  • Tyres 255/45 R18 103H XL with optimised rolling resistance
  • Tyre mobility kit in lieu of spare wheel:12-volt compressor and tyre sealant
  • Green heat insulating glass in cab with double glazed green privacy glass in the passenger compartment
  • Magnetic flashlight
  • Headlamp washer system with heated front washer nozzles and washer fluid level indicator
  • Mud flaps front and rear
  • Premium Bluetooth phone interface with wireless aerial and Wi-Fi connectivity (requires wireless network connection)
  • Heated front windscreen
  • Acapulco Blue Metallic
  • 18" Toluca alloy wheels 8J x 18
  • Moon Rock/Titanium Black - Moon Rock Grey/Moon Rock
Haha! That's a very comprehensive spec. We're there any more options than you could have added? Amazing!

Reactions: Cjw
Hi there.

Lovely spec! 2 things I'm noticing.

Do you really have to pay separately for the headlamp washers now? It was included with my LED lights, despite being a separate option at the time. I didn't want the washers but got them anyway. Others did too. Have a check.

I see you've gone for 4Motion :thumb. How about the Diff-Lock to complement it? It is over £500 going by memory, I know, but looking at what you're already spending....
If you're going to take it for any off-road jollies then it could come in handy :)
If you're staying on-road & sticking to campsites, then probably not worth it.

EDIT. Heavy Duty Anti-Roll Bars to help reduce the wobble whenever you turn the steering wheel. Mines's quite 'boaty' to drive, even with this option & driving sensibly.

Last edited:
Perhaps reconsider the spare wheel. We hit a rock that had just come down the bankside in Spain a couple of years ago and it tore the sidewall of the tyre. Goo and compressed air can would have been no use in that situation.
Can you get a spare with 18" wheels?? Depends on the tyre profile I guess whether or not it will fit.

I have been spoilt by a Range Rover Sport 2014, but the Cali has been calling since we accidentally bumped into one at a show. It may be a mid life crisis though.

I moved to a Cali from a Range Rover Sport and haven't looked back once. The fun factor benefits simply outweigh everything the RRS has to offer. I even find the drive just as good. Enjoy your new toy when it arrives. :)

• Thanks
Hi there.

Do you really have to pay separately for the headlamp washers now? It was included with my LED lights, despite being a separate option at the time. I didn't want the washers but got them anyway. Others did too. Have a check.

If they are not part of a pack, then I wouldn't both at all. All they do is throw water at the headlight I don't think any bugs come off. It is like just squirting your car with water instead of actually washing it :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

If they are not part of a pack, then I wouldn't both at all. All they do is throw water at the headlight I don't think any bugs come off. It is like just squirting your car with water instead of actually washing it :)

Yup, I'm with you on that one. Better to just stop the van & give the lights a quick wipe.

The main reason I didn't want them was the possible risk of damage in winter when they are iced-over & try to pop-up. Might damage the mechanism perhaps.
Left that box blank but VW gave me them anyway, so I think they must have come together, at the time. Sadly, some folk will have paid for them when they didn't have to!

I know - I'll check the fuses. Maybe I can disable them the old-fashioned way :)

I think, LED lights and xenons, must have headlight washers for type approval, they were added to our order when we added the led option.

Glad to see you have the magnetic flashlight, hard to manage without one! :D

Nice spec :thumb

The main reason I didn't want them was the possible risk of damage in winter when they are iced-over & try to pop-up.
We had them on the Touareg and the bit that pops out is hydraulically operated by the water pressure. It was frozen once and didn't extend but immediately thawed as the screenwash still came out and freed itself.

We had them on the Touareg and the bit that pops out is hydraulically operated by the water pressure. It was frozen once and didn't extend but immediately thawed as the screenwash still came out and freed itself.
Thanks Loz,

I was wondering about that. We too had them on our Touareg ;) but, if memory serves me right, they only popped-up after a certain amount of window washes. Something must be telling them to do that, which is where I got the idea of checking for a fuse.
For the record, I haven't actually seen them pop-up on the Cali yet. I've used the scooshers only 2 or 3 times. The windows get 'naturally' wet up here often-enough :)

Xenons must have washers in the UK, on my Cali they operate (when head lamps are on) with the first use of the windscreen wash, then with the 4th or 5th use, unless the ignition is turned off, then the sequence starts again. For an MOT the requirement is for them to operate in conjunction with the screen wash or via a separate switch.
MOT testers manual here http://bit.ly/2bwRKmJ

image.png

Xenons must have washers in the UK, on my Cali they operate (when head lamps are on) with the first use of the windscreen wash, then with the 4th or 5th use, unless the ignition is turned off, then the sequence starts again. For an MOT the requirement is for them to operate in conjunction with the screen wash or via a separate switch.
MOT testers manual here http://bit.ly/2bwRKmJ

View attachment 15864
The wording seems to suggest not mandatory?

"Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system"

These are gong on mine paid for by VW as I ordered prior to the change.
I suspect if they were compulsory anywhere it would be enough for VW to make them a compulsory everywhere to simplify the production run.

Mike

Yes, the washers get added automatically (no extra cost) when you add the lights.

Hi there.

I see you've gone for 4Motion :thumb. How about the Diff-Lock to complement it? It is over £500 going by memory, I know, but looking at what you're already spending....
If you're going to take it for any off-road jollies then it could come in handy :)

EDIT. Heavy Duty Anti-Roll Bars to help reduce the wobble whenever you turn the steering wheel. Mines's quite 'boaty' to drive, even with this option & driving sensibly.

Dealer told me VW won't let you select heavy duty anti-roll bars together with 18" wheels.

Hi there.

Dealer said VW option for heavy duty anti roll bar is not available with 18" wheels

Dealer said VW option for heavy duty anti roll bar is not available with 18" wheels

Hi,

My Cali does have the standard 17" Devonports. It is the second T6 that I have have ordered. (rejected the 1st one due to non-swivelling seats... yeah, I know. Don't say it :))

On the 1st van that I ordered, I chose 18" matt finish Springfield alloy wheels & Heavy Duty Anti-Roll Bars. It was not an issue to order them together back in October 2015. I see you've gone for Toluca's. I do recall a discussion where 4Motion Cali's had to be ordered with the 'matt' finish Springfields & not the 'Shiny' Springfields. I know - this does sound a complete nonsense, but based on the above, I'm wondering if it's the 'style' of 18" alloy wheel that's preventing your selection of Heavy Duty Anti Roll Bars. Out of interest, can you ask your dealer to change the 18" Tolucas to 18" matt springfields on his configurator, just to see if it lets you select the Heavy Duty Anti Roll Bars?
In hindsight - it may have been my choice of the Heavy Duty Anti Roll Bars that forced the selection of matt 18" Springfields, instead of the shiny 18" Springfields, i.e. maybe the bars were entered 1st on the configurator. Pass.

Just for info - I keep in touch with the owner of my '1st' van. He would much rather have the standard 17" wheels & a real spare! If I remember right, when looking under his van, VW don't include the bracket that supports the spare. I could be wrong but I'm sure it wasn't there.
This pushed me back to the standard 17" Devonports plus a spare & I'm glad that I did.
Each to their own preference of course :thumb

Cheers & good luck

Last edited:
I moved to a Cali from a Range Rover Sport and haven't looked back once. The fun factor benefits simply outweigh everything the RRS has to offer. I even find the drive just as good. Enjoy your new toy when it arrives. :)

I have had many luxury 4x4s and have decided to Cali rather than buy another one.

So good to hear from those who already made that decision.