Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2023 Ocean leaking roof fabric

Status
Not open for further replies.
This post from Breeze Tom suggests VW are aware abs working on it. Surely they’ll just make the manufacturer of the bellows design a replacement? I’ll see how my MY2023 does in the rain and report back.
See my previous post. Might not be a design fault, might be installation. Might not be installation might be manufacture. Might not be manufatcure might be parts.

Might be material type. Thread type. Sewing tension. Needle size. Parts batch. Roof tension. Cut out hole size. Lack of run off. Too much run off.

That all needs to be worked out first so you can get a root cause to fix. The bellows might be in house. Might be outsourced. The whole roof might be made offsite. The parts may arrive onsite and be fitted by VW staff. The amount of permutations are boggling.

I recall we had an issue once with door inners falling off. Was it adhesive? Parts? Fitting? Door shutting too hard? Screws? After 6 months it was discovered to be one operator at the supplier had his own glue pot he had made and would swap it out on his shift only. Took 6 months to work it out. Cost 10's of thousands in warranty repairs.

See my previous post. Might not be a design fault, might be installation. Might not be installation might be manufacture. Might not be manufatcure might be parts.

Might be material type. Thread type. Sewing tension. Needle size. Parts batch. Roof tension. Cut out hole size. Lack of run off. Too much run off.

That all needs to be worked out first so you can get a root cause to fix. The bellows might be in house. Might be outsourced. The whole roof might be made offsite. The parts may arrive onsite and be fitted by VW staff. The amount of permutations are boggling.

I recall we had an issue once with door inners falling off. Was it adhesive? Parts? Fitting? Door shutting too hard? Screws? After 6 months it was discovered to be one operator at the supplier had his own glue pot he had made and would swap it out on his shift only. Took 6 months to work it out. Cost 10's of thousands in warranty repairs.
You’ve missed the point I was making. Tom says VW recalled the bellows they had in stock so VW obviously think there is or could be an issue with them. This surely means they can’t deny a warranty claim, plead ignorance or that it’s a single one off case of failure for anyone who has an issue. We don’t know why they’ve recalled them but it suggests there’s an issue of some kind with them. If not the leaking issue then what else could it be? Too much of a coincidence for me to believe it’s for another reason.

You’ve missed the point I was making. Tom says VW recalled the bellows they had in stock so VW obviously think there is or could be an issue with them. This surely means they can’t deny a warranty claim, plead ignorance or that it’s a single one off case of failure for anyone who has an issue. We don’t know why they’ve recalled them but it suggests there’s an issue of some kind with them. If not the leaking issue then what else could it be? Too much of a coincidence for me to believe it’s for another reason.
Missed that bit at the end of Toms mail, clunky sentence. In which case my explanation post remains correct and also means if they have got to the stage of recalling in stock parts are in fact working their way towards a solution. Could point to it being a parts issue (so design or parts failure) rather than factory fitment.

I don't think anyone is saying that VW would not honour a warranty claim, are saying it's a one off or pleading ignorance, in fact from responses here seems quite the opposite.

Missed that bit at the end of Toms mail, clunky sentence. In which case my explanation post remains correct and also means if they have got to the stage of recalling in stock parts are in fact working their way towards a solution. Could point to it being a parts issue (so design or parts failure) rather than factory fitment.

I don't think anyone is saying that VW would not honour a warranty claim, are saying it's a one off or pleading ignorance, in fact from responses here seems quite the opposite.
Given the seriousness of water infiltration, and that most if not all bellows are affected, I wonder if this would warrant a proactive recall situation.

Given the seriousness of water infiltration, and that most if not all bellows are affected, I wonder if this would warrant a proactive recall situation.
I doubt it, it's not safety related, No point until they have a solution.

I doubt it, it's not safety related, No point until they have a solution.
Agreed - full Warranty recall is usually reserved for safety issues. In general the rest are left to "when it comes in for a service" or "when the customer complains" - esp if it is intermittent.

What doesn't help is, like the tailgate issue, it's difficult to prove or disprove in a test environment.

i wonder if the issue could be solved by simply running a line of seam sealant down between the mesh and the roof fabric where they are stitched together?

i wonder if the issue could be solved by simply running a line of seam sealant down between the mesh and the roof fabric where they are stitched together?
That would be the cheapest solution for VW so I am sure it is something that is/will be investigated. It depends if the other seams also leak. I think I read at least one person reporting a leak through other (vertical ) seams too.

Out of interest, where were your zips positioned (if you can remember?). Seen a reference somewhere to suggest the zips shouldn't be at either end of the zip run. Ours got a fair bit of side-rain (albeit it was at an angle, not direct) over the weekend in lashing rain and no ingress, at least nothing I could see.
I think they were both at the top - definitely weren’t at either end of the zip run as had always thought that was more suspect.
Additionally when we closed the roof after returning to the van and spotting the leaking I left the sliding hatch open as thought would allow some air to circulate in the upper bed at least. In practice about half an hour later we also then had water dripping through the zip or seam (not sure which) from the front window which was hanging down through the hatch (lowest point so water had pooled).
Having now had a better look and emptied the cupboards, stuff is wet in the left hand kitchen cupboard so water must have gone down the joint between the burner unit and the side panel - not surprising given the volume of water.
Haven’t had a chance to get hold of the dealer today as been a mad day at work, but worried that water will be properly behind cupboards and manifest itself later as either smelly soundproofing or damaged electrics, and no obvious way to be sure.
Is the dealer best port of call in the first instance in people’s opinion or is there a central VW centre to contact ?

I think they were both at the top - definitely weren’t at either end of the zip run as had always thought that was more suspect.
Additionally when we closed the roof after returning to the van and spotting the leaking I left the sliding hatch open as thought would allow some air to circulate in the upper bed at least. In practice about half an hour later we also then had water dripping through the zip or seam (not sure which) from the front window which was hanging down through the hatch (lowest point so water had pooled).
Having now had a better look and emptied the cupboards, stuff is wet in the left hand kitchen cupboard so water must have gone down the joint between the burner unit and the side panel - not surprising given the volume of water.
Haven’t had a chance to get hold of the dealer today as been a mad day at work, but worried that water will be properly behind cupboards and manifest itself later as either smelly soundproofing or damaged electrics, and no obvious way to be sure.
Is the dealer best port of call in the first instance in people’s opinion or is there a central VW centre to contact ?
Both. If enough people call the call centre it will get raised and passed across when the trend is spotted. Same with dealer but can take slightly longer for the comms to happen.

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Before contacting the garage you bought the van from, I would suggest you spend time reading about your legal rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015!

The AA version explains it well!

In order to progress in getting it sorted, the legal route normally achieves quicker and satisfactory results.

Best of luck:)

No sound proofing and few adsorbing materials in the Cali's internal construction. So long as you dry out (keep windows/doors open to allow air movement) you should be OK after an incident like this.

First night in the rain this week and leaked from all 3 vents! I will be in touch with the dealer today and post their response
Update - Spoken to the dealer who confirmed they haven’t had a van returned with this issue , although he said one customer had spoken to them about actually having leaks from the vents but had taken the advice in the owners manual to leave the zips at the upper position and haven’t had any further leaks!
He also rang me back to confirm they had not been a recall on the bellows from VW but was more than happy to thoroughly test for us
I will test myself with the hose pipe with the zips in the top position and post my findings (when we get a good sunny drying day)

Your all going to end up with some magic tape on the bellows. Job done

Your all going to end up with some magic tape on the bellows. Job done
I hope this is the outcome, as I really don’t want the bellows being stripped out and replaced. We’d do it ourselves (the tape) but don’t want to try anything that may give VW an option to wiggle out of a warranty claim.

In order to progress in getting it sorted, the legal route normally achieves quicker and satisfactory results.

Best of luck:)
I think you will find speaking to the garage you bought it from & asking them calmly to fix it is usually far more effective, going in guns blazing threatening to go legal is not really the best way to get your dealer on your side.

The legal route is slow process that costs money & is the absolute last resort.

Good luck trying to reject a Cali with a leaky roof when the handbook warns you it will leak.

Why would anyone be thinking of going legal when as far as I can see dealers/VW are listening to customers & some have already had bellows swapped.

Options:
1. If you are waiting collection of your Cali? Prior to payment and collecting, attend the garage and do the water test yourself!
If leaks? Reject, because legally not fit for purpose!
Why would you buy a new vehicle that as been repaired?

2. If you have already bought, follow above, then legally reject if within the time limit of 6months from purchase date!

3. If over time limit? Small claims court procedures!

We should all be directing our input to Vw, wether the garage or Vw direct!

If we all follow the above I am sure things will be dealt with as a priority!

Ps: make sure everything you are told, is put in writing.

It is a sad state of affairs that we need to do this! Vw are just taking the P—- and getting away with it:-(

Andy,
I didn’t suggest go guns blazing!
That’s your assumption!

I suggested knowing your legal rights if required!!

Other than the obviously different cloth, my only observation is that the thread seems to be thicker/ more prominent on the new canvas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back