Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

30 years special & wheel queries

Alpen

Alpen

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all,

We took delivery of our new 30 years special, 150 FWD, California in May. It was a bit of a commitment but made sense to me to buy this over a nearly new Ocean, as it wasn't much more money, and had all the extras.

The only compromise really was that we had quite wanted the 2 tone paint, which wasn't an option on the 30 years, although ours is Oryx white with an iridium grey roof and mirrors.

Anyway we've had an awesome time in it so far, and are touring a family of 4 - 2 adults + 20 month old and a 3.5 years old. So far we've hit up the North Coast 500 which was a bit of a baptism by fire over Easter, we've also been to the Peak District and Pembrokeshire, and have just completed a 2 week jaunt from Santander to St. Malo. Loving vanlife.

I do however want to customise the van a little. I think having spent so much on it, what's a couple more grand to make it a bit more individual and cool. Transporters generally are so often customised it's almost a necessity to make it stand out! Although I've equally been embarrassed at times by having such a flashy new van.

I don't however want to do anything to it that VW wouldn't recommend as a standard mod, as I don't want to compromise (too much) on ride, I want to protect the warranty and I still need it to be able to get on and off fields, and down the occasional dirt track. I was thinking about lowering 30mm on the VW springs and putting some 18" wheels on it. However I don't want to spend all that and then still be disappointed. Maybe coil overs could be an option as VW are now offering an Eibach coilover option, but then that's considerably more money, and I still don't think that going too low, on coil overs or not, would be at all practical for a California.

I was wondering if anyone has any photos of a van that has been lowered 30mm, and sitting on 18's, just so I can get an idea of how this genuinely looks. As I say even though these changes are quite small, they are still quite expensive, and I don't want to spend the money if it doesn't achieve something I'd be happy with. I'd be better off just leaving not standard in that case.

Let me know if you can help?

Thanks all

Alex

Hi Alex, i have the VW Palmerston 18s, and also the 30mm VW lowering kit, keeping it all factory until the warranty runs out in just under two years. I'll probably then opt for the B14s and possibly some Vossen 20s to finish it off.
If i went any lower, then i wouldn't be able to get it up the drive and into the garage. The ride at the moment is perfect and is (i think) just right for sites, 2wd also same as yourself, no struggles whatsoever.

First two photos are of our previous van, one on 18s Springfield's one on the standard 17" devenports. the next two are of our current van on Bi-Dakar's which are genuine VW. Both vans are lowered on -30 VW springs from new at the dealers.

Cali 1.JPGCali with Davenports.JPGIMG_2561.JPGOur Cali at Lowdhams.JPG

First pick b14s and 20s
Second pit 30mm vw springs and cascavels
I’m having the vw coulovers fitted on my Cali by vw when it arrives

7DEAC591-24AD-4F53-A6C4-C4A94E52DDDD.png

B20148A4-D72B-449C-B43C-22004427E060.png

Awesome, really good to see and thanks for the tips!

I think the 30mm kit looks as good/better than I was hoping, so gives me some reassurance I'll be achieving what I want, while maintaining ride and practicalities.

I'm thinking the OZ racing van rally wheels, as they have a slightly classic/retro appeal, but think they'd also look pretty average (as the ones fitted on their website do) if the 18's weren't filling the arches slightly. Also thinking of getting them powder coated in a metallic red finish and then getting a couple of red details added in vinyl to mine. I've seen some vans with a grill with red details, backing to VW badge and red strips. Is this an off the shelf thing?

Also what are B14's?

:)

I think the 30mm kit looks as good/better than I was hoping, so gives me some reassurance I'll be achieving what I want, while maintaining ride and practicalities.

I'm thinking the OZ racing van rally wheels, as they have a slightly classic/retro appeal, but think they'd also look pretty average (as the ones fitted on their website do) if the 18's weren't filling the arches slightly. Also thinking of getting them powder coated in a metallic red finish and then getting a couple of red details added in vinyl to mine. I've seen some vans with a grill with red details, backing to VW badge and red strips. Is this an off the shelf thing?

Also what are B14's?

Coilovers

Also what are B14's?

My first van had aftermarket wheels so needed new wheel bolts, also locking bolts. 17mm heads VW wheels can be used with the 19mm bolts that come on the van so a spare set of bolts need to be carried for the spare and a 17mm/19mm socket. Could of just been the wheels I had but worth checking. The red inserts can be bought from Vanstyle.

I think the -30mm springs are about £400 to £450 fitted at the dealers looks better feels better and does not impede the use of levelling ramps on site.

Thanks guys.

Just one more question.

Do you know when the vw coil over kits will be available?

And how easy are they to adjust? Presumably you’d still have to have the height adjusted with the wheels off the ground so there’s no load on the springs? Is it as easy as that?

I cant comment, Jay17Cali seems to be in the know on that one. I would like to know dependent on price as well.
I like the -30 fit and forget no adjustment needed. its not a rally car but would still have a look not discounting options.

Thanks guys.

Just one more question.

And how easy are they to adjust? Presumably you’d still have to have the height adjusted with the wheels off the ground so there’s no load on the springs? Is it as easy as that?
If you get up and around Juc 24 M1 give me a shout and call in for a brew and a look if you wish.

Thanks guys.

Just one more question.

There availability to order now but they are or was on back order.apparenty they can’t make em quick enough...

Also what are B14's?

Careful - Ford use these on the Transits - dont want them getting mixed up... :D

FYI I just got this from VW - Listers:

We have Eibach coil overs, lowering your vehicle from 30-60mm and they’re priced at £1,369.67 +VAT. We can fit these for you for £356+VAT and that is 4 hours labour. So I total price of £1,725.67+VAT.

The Warranty with these come from Eibach themselves, and it is 36 months.

The other option you have is our VW Approved lowering springs(Eibach lowering springs) which lower your vehicle by 30mm, these are priced up at £282.28+VAT and we can also fit these for you for £356+VAT, again its 4 hours the same as the coilovers. Total cost £638.28+VAT
The warranty is the same also, 36 months.

Careful - Ford use these on the Transits - dont want them getting mixed up... :D
Ah man.. I want something that is Ronal turbo style really, but these are the closest I could find that have the load rating for a van and that are only 18's. There's lots of 20's out there but I just don't think that's going to work practically.. I'm hoping that these are going to be better in the flesh than the look of them fitted in photos online? Especially re-finished in red!

We have Eibach coil overs, lowering your vehicle from 30-60mm and they’re priced at £1,369.67 +VAT. We can fit these for you for £356+VAT and that is 4 hours labour. So I total price of £1,725.67+VAT.

The other option you have is our VW Approved lowering springs(Eibach lowering springs) which lower your vehicle by 30mm, these are priced up at £282.28+VAT and we can also fit these for you for £356+VAT, again its 4 hours the same as the coilovers. Total cost £638.28+VAT
That’s great
The 30mms are eibach,, so these are a whole lot better being full adjustable ride height if you want to ...and using a top end damper to compliment the package
Strong money but good all the same vw realises that people like to make there van there own.

Interesting. The Bilstein B14 Coil Overs I recently purchased also had a 36 month warranty. I was informed by VW that these however invalidated the vehicles warranty, whether fitted by VW or not!

I sent them back

Interesting. The Bilstein B14 Coil Overs I recently purchased also had a 36 month warranty. I was informed by VW that these however invalidated the vehicles warranty, whether fitted by VW or not!

I sent them back
Yep it’s nuts as the b14s are just as good it looks like bilstein missed out there as they need vw approval eibach got in there .

To be honest I think the coil overs may be a bit rich for me. If the general consensus is the vw 30mm springs provide the result anyway, and I don’t want to go particularly low. The only benefit is the coil overs give you that flexibility, but it’s quite a lot to pay. Especially when I’m driving around with 2 kids in the back, I can’t really see the rest of the family appreciating bouncing around at 60mm

To be honest I think the coil overs may be a bit rich for me. If the general consensus is the vw 30mm springs provide the result anyway, and I don’t want to go particularly low. The only benefit is the coil overs give you that flexibility, but it’s quite a lot to pay. Especially when I’m driving around with 2 kids in the back, I can’t really see the rest of the family appreciating bouncing around at 60mm
Despite it looking pretty rude

Despite it looking pretty rude

As said Dude if you get up this way have a look and give it a try. shop around on price as well, VW Leicester and Liverpool charge just over £400 the last I had done.

I sent them back
I had a set of HR springs fitted some years ago which dropped the van by 40mm.
Even though the van is 2010 (with 17" wheels as standard) so well out of warranty, my local VW dealer refused to investigate and repair the front anti-roll bar last year because non-VW items were fitted to it. As we had a trip booked I had no choice but to get the HRs swapped to Eibach springs just to get the ARB repaired.

The HR springs did mean the rear mud flaps caught the ground often, as did the SpareSafe occasionally. This now doesn't happen.

I also think the ride is improved slightly, less harsh.

Alan

Definitely strong money agreed but I can assure you the ride quality is improved ..with good quality coilovers but again it’s all about what’s affordable and what’s for you :)

Hi, Sorry to hijack your thread. I need to lose 20mm height in order to fit my van+roofbars (whispbars) the garage, so looking at the VW springs to lose 30mm.

(Been quoted £438.70 + VAT including the 10% California Club discount at local dealers.)

My wheels are 16”. Has anyone done same combination and if possible would you have a photo please?
Photos above or are on page one but with standard 17" wheels.

Last edited:
Back